Author Topic: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.  (Read 14844 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 04:37:26 AM »
Ummmm.. I don't see Jewish listed on your reference.  Can you back up that claim?  Or explain the significance of it?
Marist poll was added

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Levant

• friend
Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
My brother was a cop in NYC when the stop/frisk policy started under Rudy, He loved it.
All the cops loved it.

Basically, cops know what the neighborhood criminals look like.
You stop the saggy pants dude with the long T shirt on - most times he had a warrant or contraband.

If you didn't like it you could choose not to dress like a criminal.

But, yeah Unconstitutional, everyone knows it, but NY gun laws are unconstitutional too. You would support stop and frisk if you lived there because it hampers the criminals. Unless you had a ccw - but you couldn't because you need to be Trump to get a NYC ccw.

No, I would never support it under any circumstances.  Violating one protection of the Constitution as a response to the problems created by violating another makes no sense.  The solution to criminals on the street is to keep them in prison.  Law enforcement and government love the power that high crime rates give them so they will never put a stop to crime.  Crime is easily controlled by simply putting criminals in prison for long periods of time and allowing those of us not in prison to have the tools to defend ourselves.  That is the solution, Terry stops are not.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

• friends
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
You would support stop and frisk if you lived there because it hampers the criminals.

winner winner chicken dinner

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
Is that really the only criteria we use for legality or morality of actions? "We think it'll hamper criminals"?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
Is that really the only criteria we use for legality or morality of actions? "We think it'll hamper criminals"?

the only one?  no

but i bet its high on the list for folks in a cut your way in shoot your way out hood

its less academic for them

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
the only one?  no

but i bet its high on the list for folks in a cut your way in shoot your way out hood

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
Speech in the House of Commons (18 November, 1783).

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
the only one?  no

You're adorable.  No.  I've lived in bad hoods.  I wouldn't have allowed it.  and the people that live in those hoods tend to not be fond of the local po-po either.  The folks that push, and allow, this kind of thing live in the good hood's near the cut your way in, shoot your way out hoods and no they can't *yet* build the walls polish ghetto's had.

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »
You're adorable.  No.  I've lived in bad hoods.  I wouldn't have allowed it.  and the people that live in those hoods tend to not be fond of the local po-po either.  The folks that push, and allow, this kind of thing live in the good hood's near the cut your way in, shoot your way out hoods and no they can't *yet* build the walls polish ghetto's had.

your experience differs from mine.  when the suburban folks complained about the roadblocks that kept em away from the stop and cop in trinidad nw dc the locals were not amused.  they had gotten tired of putting the kids to bed in the bathtub.  the only locals miffed were in "bidnez"

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
 murders are 50 percent below the level they were 12 years ago

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/nation/july-dec13/stopfrisk_08-13.html

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »
your experience differs from mine.  when the suburban folks complained about the roadblocks that kept em away from the stop and cop in trinidad nw dc the locals were not amused.  they had gotten tired of putting the kids to bed in the bathtub.  the only locals miffed were in "bidnez"

Yeah, when the cops tried to do an increased patrol (much less a stop and frisk) in South St. Pete they started stoning cop cars.  the cops had to pull out before riots started (again) and leave us poor white college kids to fend for ourselves and/or run home to mommy.

My anecdote is as valid as yours.   

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
murders are 50 percent below the level they were 12 years ago

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/nation/july-dec13/stopfrisk_08-13.html

Now I know I don't live in NYC, but I don't really give a *expletive deleted*it about the crime rate.  I can protect myself from criminals.Not so much the NYPD.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
Murder rates have been declining nation wide.

But aside from that, I'm sure if we surgically installed GPS trackers inside everyone's body it'd be a lot easier to figure out who was around when murders were committed. If cops could barge into houses without warrants and torture confessions out of people they'd probably close a lot more cases. Heck, if we start executing people for petty theft and vandalism I bet we'd seriously cut down on street crime. If we had daily forced calisthenics tens of thousands of fatties wouldn't die from heart disease.

So f***ing what? The whole point of the Constitution's limits on .gov power is that there are some things that shouldn't be doneeven if they might prove effective.

• friends

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
<---------Didn't bother to click links.

You don't get it.  It doesn't matter if it works.  It doesn't matter if the entire damn city voted unanimously to do it.  The WHOLE FRIGGIN POINT of limits on .gov is to stop them from doing crap like this.  Of course it works.  That's why tyrants do it.  Hence needing to explicitly tell .gov that they can't.  NYPD needs to get told to FOAD.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
Levant/dogmush/ccsd

you're all right.

There is a reason I do not live in NY, its run by ghetto politics.
The gun laws stink so bad that California is a gun nut paradise in comparison - its totally corrupt, the COTUS has no jurisdiction, the only law is money and power.

Of course its morally bankrupt and wrong and freaking stupid, its New York City.
Wiener ( carlos danger ) will probably be their next Mayor. New Yorkers can not have the conversation we are having here. They have no clue as to what COTUS is.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends
Re: Re: Judge rules NYC Terry stops unconstitutional.
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Interestingly the judge did not eliminate stop and frisk and newark is amongst several citys doing it with the blessing of the aclu et al

damn phone

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
On the plus side, NYC frisks are likely to be targeted at more worthy folks than TSA frisks.

Still, it seems like much of modern police practice is geared towards doing the opposite of Peel's Principles whenever possible.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »
So apparently, during this years-in-the-making gun trafficking bust, they got audio of one of the suspects citing his fear of the stop/frisk procedures (which is the term I'll be using since it's been pointed out that, no, it is not a Terry stop!) as well as citing a couple other of Bloomberg's "common sense gun laws." Wonder what kind of deal he got for that...  [tinfoil]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23761100
A wiretap showed the defendants feared becoming ensnared by the police department's stop-and-frisk policy, Mr Kelly said.

A federal judge this month ruled the aggressive street policing tactic unconstitutional and discriminatory. Mr Bloomberg's administration has appealed the ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/19/gunrunners-smuggled-firearms-into-nyc-inside-luggage-on-discount-buses/
"The problem is that the gun laws passed now, so it's like now I can only buy a gun from a gun store every 30 days," Campbell complained in one conversation, according to an indictment. "So I had to, like, pay different people to keep buying different guns."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/19/justice/new-york-illegal-guns/index.html
"Year after year, guns flow into our city from states that don't have commonsense gun laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals. North and South Carolina, for instance, still have weak laws that allow criminals and traffickers to easily buy guns," Bloomberg said.

The 254 guns sold included high-capacity assault weapons, a fully automatic machine gun, and guns that are commonly used in violent crimes. Those included pistols and guns that can hold magazines with 30 or more rounds, according to Bloomberg.

Derp!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
So let me get this straight - if I carried a gun under a nice suit in NYC, I would have nothing to fear from the cops  ???

=|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
some stop and frisk=good

Sure. When they have a warrant from a judge or probable cause.

I'm quite sure that any police chief that implemented this where I live would be fired within a day. It would probably help crime stats if we threw all poor people into ovens. Doesn't mean it's the right or ethical thing to do.

With respect, CSD, nothing wrong with trolling the APS folks here, we need a court jester... I know you don't take the position of "anything good for the police is good for the country". If you do, you may want to take a few moments to reflect on that.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
How many of those 254 guns were used in crimes?  

And a full-auto?  I wonder how they got that.  

And finally, IIRC, the way they broke this case is that gunrunning knucklehead either posted videos on Yousetube or Facesbooks.

And finally, finally, are they going to prosecute Federally either him for lying on the 4473 (if he bought the guns he had use fake ID showing he was a resident of, IIRC NC), or he used straw purchasers and are he and they going to be prosecuted for violating Federal Gun laws?  Or is he simply going to to charged under either NYS and/or NYC gun laws.  Makes a big difference.  If it's only NYS and/or NYC, then Obama/Biden et als push to ban guns should be pointed out to be the giant lie that it is.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:51:29 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »

And a full-auto?  I wonder how they got that. 

If done legally, it was bought by someone who took 6 months to go through all the paperwork and background checks, who then sold it FTF illegally, at which point the illegal buyer illegally transported it interstate (Fed Law), then illegally entered NY without reporting it (NY State Law), then illegally entered NYC without reporting it (NYC law).

Already have laws.  Lots of laws.

And that's if it was bought legally, as Bloomberg is attempting to insinuate with his lax gun laws comment.

More than likely, it's a homemade chop-job of a MAC10 or AK, or a homemade DIAS in an AR.  Which then means there's already FedLaws against that.  And it has nothing to do with finger-pointing to South Carolina.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Levant

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
You can't help but wonder how many of these were bought by Bloomberg hacks... again.

Oh wait... here it is:

A large majority of the guns were purchased by an undercover police officer in 45 transactions since 2012, authorities said.

Undercop tells flunky to go to SC, provides the name of stores, or possibly fake ID, and says to buy guns and bring them back. 

Yes, if the police send people to break the law, the law will get broken.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:51:55 PM by Levant »
NEOKShooter on GRM

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »
I'm quite sure that any police chief that implemented this where I live would be fired within a day. It would probably help crime stats if we threw all poor people into ovens. Doesn't mean it's the right or ethical thing to do.
No matter the rate of criminality in any particular ethnicity, the 4th Amendment applies.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Levant

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
No matter the rate of criminality in any particular ethnicity, the 4th Amendment applies.

Thank you!  There is no circumstance in the entire world that excuses or allows the government to operate outside of the very document that authorizes their existence. To operate outside of that document is to operate on their own and not as an entity created by the founding document.  When they operate on their own they operate as common criminals and need to be treated as such.
NEOKShooter on GRM