Author Topic: How Soon Before "Full Scale" Ops Again?  (Read 14902 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: How Soon Before "Full Scale" Ops Again?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »

"Some bunch" might have come along, but if the Iraqi military had been properly trained, properly equiped then they would have been able to nip ISIS in the bud, so to speak.  

Horse Hockey.   We did properly train and equip them.  In fact, I was talking to one of my former soldiers yesterday about this very subject.  He stayed in, retired in 2007 then went to work as contractor training the Iraqi police.  His comment, and I'll paraphrase, was: The Iraqis are worse then Tennessee hillbilly-inbred stupid.  Add on top of that there was no concept of "Rule of Law", Plus no loyalty to Iraq, their .gov, their leaders, or even each other, but to family, clan and tribe.  And he was surprised that they didn't start beating each other over the head the day after we left.   The fact that they DID NOT is testament to the skill and dedication of those who worked with the IP's, civilian and military.  

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33:38 PM »
No. We know that they come from a vastly different cultural background. This influences how they think and how they do things. This is a fact.
 Nobody managed to do it yet. The English failed, the Russians failed, everyone ever failed. 

Do you have some sort of difficulty in understanding the written word? Nobody was trying to convince you of that.
 Once again, you might want to look into this thing called "history". The French soldier has rarely been the problem, but France has been cursed with deficient leadership pretty much since Napoleon. France also has always been rather aggressive in colonial wars. The rifle-dropping is a myth born of ignorance.

You might also notice that the Germans of today are a couple of generations removed from Wehrmacht. A couple of generations brought up bathed in shame over what their fathers and grandfathers did.
Sure they can. However, this change needs to be a cultural shift on the scale greater than that of the Germans. This can only be achieved by having the carriers of oldthink dying and the new generations being brought up in the way you wish them to be. There are only two ways to do this - wait for old age to do it's thing, like Moses did, or dig some big graves, like Lenin/Stalin/Mao and the rest of that crowd, all the while indoctrinating the young. Are you advocating for the US to do the Moses thing and lead Iraquis for 40 years? Or the Mao thing and have some long marches?

Okay, you convinced me; the Iraqis are completly incapable of fighting coherently, or learning how to.
They're a bunch of ignorant mideastern ragheads best left to blow with the shifting sands of fate, hatred, and Jihadi asshattery.
As for the French, Charles DeGaulle might have some enlightening words for you were he still alive.

Horse Hockey.   We did properly train and equip them.  In fact, I was talking to one of my former soldiers yesterday about this very subject.  He stayed in, retired in 2007 then went to work as contractor training the Iraqi police.  His comment, and I'll paraphrase, was: The Iraqis are worse then Tennessee hillbilly-inbred stupid.  Add on top of that there was no concept of "Rule of Law", Plus no loyalty to Iraq, their .gov, their leaders, or even each other, but to family, clan and tribe.  And he was surprised that they didn't start beating each other over the head the day after we left.   The fact that they DID NOT is testament to the skill and dedication of those who worked with the IP's, civilian and military. 

Oh please tell me how calling them  "worse then Tennessee hillbilly-inbred stupid" isn't bigotry.  If your friend was surprised they didn't start hitting each other over the head  the day after we left he had no reason to believe their training was anywhere near complete.
And no, I am not blaming the soldiers or contractors who were training them; I'm blaming our own home team, WASHINGTON, USA for screwing the pooch over there.
Whether I am right or wrong, a historical genius or a historical idiot is not the question.  We're the ones who "broke" it, and we are not fixing it.  All we seem to want to do is fold our tails and run.  And as I pointed out that's a lousy lesson to show to the rest of the world.   

The fact they ran from the fight is proof they were not sufficiently well trained. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:50 AM »
The fact they ran from the fight is proof they were not sufficiently well trained. 
???
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »
The people who make up ISIS are of the same ilk and have 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% the same genetics and they are having no trouble conquering, fighting and killing, notwithstanding the fact that we westerners take enormous exception to how they do it and to whom they're doing.  "Ideas" of honor and courage are concepts and can be instilled, and should have been.

How did Patton inspire the Third Army?  Do you think all the little virginal kiddies who showed up in boot camp had had a in depth background on honor, courage, and going through the enemy like "**** through a goose"  instilled in their IDs by their parents?
You are comparing ISIS terrorists to Patton's Third Army?  

Yes, the soldiers that joined the army in WWII did have an in depth background in honor, courage, and self sacrifice and fighting for our country.  It is part of our culture and traditions.  Not all cultures have that in the same way. I am sure it is possible group of Iraqis could be trained and formed into a competent force.  I am sure we have military trainers who could do it given time and a completely free hand.  Given what we know of our ROE's, I really doubt they had full control. 

Also, Look at the short History of Israel.  They have beaten every army that has attacked them.  It isn't genetics.  The US is made up of people from all over, but we have seen good service in our military from every race as far as I know. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:57:13 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »

What is all this bigotry against Iraqi soldiers?  Do you guys think they're subhuman apes or something?
They can be properly trained and properly trained and properly motivated.  Maybe we're too dumb to figure out how -- which is not surprising if we think because they're mideasterners they're not worth a damned.

:facepalm:
OK you convinced me they're all subhuman idiots who can only fight for meanies with bushy black mustaches.

"Iraq is not America"  WOW what a earth-shattereing revelation.
"Afghanistan is not America."  Again, earth-shattering.
Curiosly you bring up Germany.  THEY are neither America or mideast; the German Whermacht fought like Tasmanian Devils on speed in WW2.  Yet their soldiers in the mideast are strangely reluctant to engage in firefights .... atleast in comparison to their WW2 forebears.
  The French, OTOH, have a bad reputation for ..."dropping their rifles" (shall we say) largely from WW2 are in fact being far more aggressive in their mideast roles than the Germans.
Things change.
And the Iraqis can change.  Perhaps they don't want to, perhaps we're too dumb, as I say, to figure out how to convince them (the more I read on this forum the more convinced I am of this :-* ) but all I've read here is largely a bunch of racist claptrap that should have been tossed into a garbage pail when we got rid of Jim Crow.
 :mad:

TommyGunn:

Read some history about the region and its cultures.  Had our leadership done so, they would not have proceeded as they did.

The Closed Circle
http://www.amazon.com/Closed-Circle-Interpretation-Edward-Burlingame-ebook/dp/B002EVP4V8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415517945&sr=1-1&keywords=the+closed+circle
This is a nice and gentle look at Arab culture and explains why Arab countries are as they are.

And now I Am Going To Do It.  What follows, TG, you can only lay at your own feet, especially after invoking chickenshinola charges of racism and incompetence on the part of our SF, big Army, contractors, and such. 

Take a gander at some of Tom Kratman's writings. 
http://www.baen.com/WarTraining-Part2.asp
Example; Arab armies, with only a few exceptions – exceptional because of a peculiar make up in those few cases – stink. I mean they just suck. They’re awful. Why the hell do you suppose half trained Israeli citizen soldier militia have routinely beat them like they owned them for decades? It’s because they’re militarily rotten. And they’re militarily rotten because of the outlooks, values, and beliefs they acquired as young boys, as mentioned, more or less with mother’s milk.

Now one might – and surely someone will – take the preceding paragraph as racist. And the problem with that is it’s not only no solution, the claim deflects even the possibility of a solution. “Their culture makes it impossible to trust anyone not a blood relation.” “Racism!” “They’ve got a tendency to leave maintenance up to God.” “Racism!” “Their leaders routinely extort money from the rank and file because said rank and file are not blood relations.” RRRaaaccciiisssmmm!!!”

Every [Arab privates] man reached into his back pocket, pulled out a wallet and began peeling off notes. The three who came up with the smallest bribes were picked to guard the tents. These three then proceeded to hold hands (this doesn’t imply gay in Arab cultures, though there is a homoerotic tendency there) and squat by the side of the road, crying like babies. And it is understandable that they cried because for the next four days they got no food or water except what our men gave them out of pity. Their officer didn't care; they weren’t blood, after all.

See, the Arabs are what the sociologists like to call, "amoral familists." This means that they are usually incapable of forming bonds of love and loyalty with anyone not a blood relation. Even there, degree of blood relation determines where loyalty legitimately lies. The saying in the area is, as written above, "Me and my brother against my cousin; me, my brother and my cousin against the world." This not only allows one to extort baksheesh from non-relations, but clouds every military unit that is not blood/clan based.

Picture the poor Arab private. He knows no one in his unit gives a *expletive deleted*it about him; after all, he doesn't give a *expletive deleted*it about any of them, either. They're not family. What happens when that private is placed in the loneliest position in the world, the modern battlefield? He runs at the first sign things are going badly. (He'll be fine as long as they are going well, though. Note: things rarely go well.)

Add in the fantasy mindset. Don't forget "Insh'allah", (which is like "mañana," but without the sense of urgency) which makes it somewhat impious to train really well since it is all the will of God anyway. Add in a set of social values that despise and loathe doing physical labor.

Militarily, they've got nothing going for them, as long as they insist on following western models of non-blood based military organization.

Now, ISIS is also made of Arabs.  But, as a lesson for the reader, what is different about them relative to the armies of the Arab states?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
Okay, you convinced me; the Iraqis are completly incapable of fighting coherently, or learning how to.
They're a bunch of ignorant mideastern ragheads best left to blow with the shifting sands of fate, hatred, and Jihadi asshattery.
As for the French, Charles DeGaulle might have some enlightening words for you were he still alive.

I like how you completely ignore what people tell you when it's inconvenient and doesn't fit with your worldview. Also, lovely job of putting words in my mouth.

The administration must be filled with people just like you, completely unwilling to face the reality of culture they are dealing with. This is precisely why US efforts in the Middle East are doomed to failure.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
How Soon Before "Full Scale" Ops Again?
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
It's a problem that goes way back. Americans seem to believe that others folks are " just like me!"
They are mistaken.
It was a problem in china japan and Vietnam.  There are folks who have actually been there and know. When they give opinions that go against the group think they are shunned and it's full steam ahead. The folks who make the big decisions do so based on what they believe and they generally face no tangible consequences for their screw ups

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Quote from: Roo_ster
TommyGunn:

Read some history about the region and its cultures.  Had our leadership done so, they would not have proceeded as they did.

The Closed Circle
http://www.amazon.com/Closed-Circle-Interpretation-Edward-Burlingame-ebook/dp/B002EVP4V8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415517945&sr=1-1&keywords=the+closed+circle
This is a nice and gentle look at Arab culture and explains why Arab countries are as they are.

And now I Am Going To Do It.  What follows, TG, you can only lay at your own feet, especially after invoking chickenshinola charges of racism and incompetence on the part of our SF, big Army, contractors, and such.

Rooster, had you actually READ what I wrote you would know I was NOT accusing any of our soldiers -- or contractors -- of being bigots.
I was accusing PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM of being bigots.
Perhaps though I overspoke my case.   
The idea that "culture is destiny" is something I will deal with below.

I like how you completely ignore what people tell you when it's inconvenient and doesn't fit with your worldview. Also, lovely job of putting words in my mouth.

The administration must be filled with people just like you, completely unwilling to face the reality of culture they are dealing with. This is precisely why US efforts in the Middle East are doomed to failure.

Another idiotic response.  I am NOT ignoring it.   I am disputing the apparent belief that it is inevitable dogma that because (apparently) "Arab armies, with only a few exceptions – exceptional because of a peculiar make up in those few cases – stink. I mean they just suck. They’re awful," That such will always be the case, and cannot ever be overcome or rectified.

See, the Arabs are what the sociologists like to call, "amoral familists." This means that they are usually incapable of forming bonds of love and loyalty with anyone not a blood relation. Even there, degree of blood relation determines where loyalty legitimately lies. The saying in the area is, as written above, "Me and my brother against my cousin; me, my brother and my cousin against the world." This not only allows one to extort baksheesh from non-relations, but clouds every military unit that is not blood/clan based.

The arabs are hardly the only ones with this culture.   It is a handicap sure but when the appropriate bashing together of heads it can be defeated.  
Certainly we will never be the ones who can, or will defeat it, because we don't believe it CAN be defeated, and people who don't believe something can happen will never put forth any effort to make it happen.
Therefor it is a self-fulfilling prophesy.
If yooz guyz would read my earlier posts this is what I've been saying all along.

Don't forget "Insh'allah", (which is like "mañana," but without the sense of urgency) which makes it somewhat impious to train really well since it is all the will of God anyway. Add in a set of social values that despise and loathe doing physical labor.

Oh, you mean they PROCRASTINATE -- just like 98% of the rest of humanity does, except they make a religious practice out of it.   That also explains why true leadership qualities are so rare, or partially explains it, I should say.

You are comparing ISIS terrorists to Patton's Third Army?

ISIS is more appropriatly an "army" than a group of disjointed group of terrorists.  The ONLY point in the Third Army comparison was to show they are acting in a coherent, aggressive manner.  I am certainly NOT comparing Patton's goals, ethics, or morality, or any part of any American Army, past or present, with the morality or ethics of ISIS.
Al Qaeda terrorists, as well as others, operated in "cells," more comparable really to espionage agents than an army.  ISIS has discarded this in its formation into what is really, now (IMHO) an army.  

Yes, the soldiers that joined the army in WWII did have an in depth background in honor, courage, and self sacrifice and fighting for our country.  It is part of our culture and traditions.  Not all cultures have that in the same way.

Perhaps only in a primitive form.  In between WW1 and 2 we actually were a pretty isolationist country and there remained many who thought we ought to let the europeans fix their own problems as Hitler rose to power.  FDR & Churchill, and a few others realized it wasn't going to work out that nicely, and when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, it spurred many to join and fight.  But, we still required a draft and would never have filled the ranks of what was to be the largest army America had during WW2 up to that point in history without the aforsaid draft.

I am sure it is possible group of Iraqis could be trained and formed into a competent force.  I am sure we have military trainers who could do it given time and a completely free hand.  Given what we know of our ROE's, I really doubt they had full control.

I totally agree with the above.  We're NOT going to do it.  
What I have been doing in this thread is to make a THEORETICAL argument, and possibly I have been doing a poor job of it.  Maybe if I HAD done a better job people like Roo_ster and Scout26, et al, wouldn't be pouncing on me like starved leopards at a fresh kill.
I get that other peoples have a different culture.  Sometimes that's for the good ....sometimes it has detrimental aspects, as apparently it does in the Arab culture ( Add in the fantasy mindset. Don't forget "Insh'allah", [which is like "mañana," but without the sense of urgency]), but what I am saying is that a people need not be a slave to that history.
Convincing such people to escape the shackles of that culture is a daunting task for sure.  I never thought otherwise.

George Santayana remarked "those who forget the lessons of history are forever doomed to repeat its mistakes."  
Some in our government could learn from that, but the Iraqis could be taught that as well.  They're not incapable of learning, but it will take better teachers than we seem to want to be to teach it.
That's why I originally said: "1.)   We should not have gone into Iraq in the first place.
Gee, I really hope the guys here who've been beating on me will remember that. :-*

Also, Look at the short History of Israel.  They have beaten every army that has attacked them.  It isn't genetics.  The US is made up of people from all over, but we have seen good service in our military from every race as far as I know.  

Yes.  Israelies have a thousand year history of persecution behind them, and when Hitler tried to exterminate the Jewish Peoples, down to the last man, woman, child, zygote with his "Final Solution" the Jewish Ppeople formed Israel under the "spiritual banner" of "never again."   And they have been forced by their surrounding neighbors (many of whom were Nazi sympathizers during the "Dritte Reich") to enforce that by force of arms ever since.
It isn't genetics.  But is should be.

PEACE, gentlebeings, okay?  Peace?   =(

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »
I'm afraid the Arab nations are not worth the blood and treasure it would take to get them up to speed (20th, 21st century).

Just like TommyGun I believed and made similar arguments about the Iraqis before the second invasion. I believed given the chance they would embrace modernity putting aside ancient wrongs and happily embrace liberty, peace and security.

The Iraqis have proved me wrong beyond what I could have ever imagined. Permanently occupying their country to teach them at the point of a gun how to do modern civilization isn't what I want our military doing. 

The Kurds have a clue and they don't need to be occupied. They just need material support against the crazies and states opposed to them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »

PEACE, gentlebeings, okay?  Peace?   =(

Ummm, not after being called a bigot.

Pointing out the cultural norms for a certain society which causes their police and/or military to in-cohesive is NOT bigotry.   Simply a statement of fact.  And I was paraphrasing what a former soldier of mine told me.  Although thinking back to CPT Al-Shambari of my Officer Basic class, he was the same way.  We all got the impression that he looked down on us.  Whenever there was anything physical to do, it was suddenly time to pray, and those prayers seem to last as long as the physical activity.  Plus, he had a hard time grasping basic concepts like Land Nav, Call for Fire, Rifle and Pistol Marksmanship, etc. It seemed like he was above learning that.  We had the impression that he was a Captain in the Saudi National Guard because A) His family was only of very, very minor nobility, and B) He was the idiot son who wasn't smart enough to run/be involved with the family business (whatever it was) or even find a "real" job.

Now my sample size is only one, but when someone whom I know very well and has worked with hundreds if not thousands of Iraqis and comes to the same conclusion, throw in the empirical evidence of the Iraqi's hiking their skirts and running like little girls in their first confrontations with ISIS (Plus 70 years of Israeli and US armed action against Arab armies) and one can only draw one conclusion.  

They suck.  

Why?  Because they are not Cohesive.  You can (and we do) take Americans (or Brits, Germans, Canooks, Frogs) of widely disparate backgrounds (including religious) and after 8-11 weeks have a cohesive force that will kill you or die trying, if told to do so.  And that will retreat only if forced to, and that retreat will be cohesive. (mostly, they may run at first, but very, very, very few will completely quit the battlefield).   Why?  Henry the V.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

Arabs don't have (nor cultivate) that sense of brotherhood.  Loyalties remain to Family, Clan, and Tribe.  Not to Fellow Soldiers, Unit, and Regiment.   When I was in Baumholder, the easiest fights to breakup was Soldier A (from Unit B) against Soldier C (from Unit D), next was a group of Soldiers from Unit E taking on another group (or all comers), yet the most vicious fights were soldiers from the same overarching unit (Battalion or Company) versus soldiers from the same overarching unit, but a different sub-unit (Company or Platoon), aka "A civil war".  

And as anyone who served will tell you, those that one served with become closer then family.  That doesn't happen in Arab armies, for the reasons Roo_ster and I stated.  

And that's where we failed in Iraq, trying to take three disparate groups (who hate each other) and make them into a country, an army and a police force.  Breaking it into three countries would have made the most sense.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:36:59 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Quote from: Scout26
Pointing out who cultural norms for a certain society causes their police and/or military to in-cohesive is NOT bigotry.
Again my point is being missed.  My reason for the epithet was the expressed belief that "culture is destiny,"  ie., that the Iraqis were incapable of learning because of their pre existing culture.

At some point earlier in this thread it was remarked by someone that the Germans weren't fighting in the mideast because of two generations of being beat-down after the horrors of WW2.  This was a good point but it also ought to indicate that the Iraqis, as well, ought not be forever mired in their ways because of their culture, be it two generation or two thousand.
I have also stipulated that it WILL take a long time, and that we are not going to be able to be the ones to do it.
Do I really have to explain this all over, again? 

BTW in my previous post I said: "Perhaps though I overspoke my case."
I'll re-state the matter, more directly, I HEREBY APOLOGIZE FOR THE ACCUSATION OF BIGOTRY.
What I ought to do is go back and edit it out, but that really wouldn't be honest and I think I've been jumped on enough. >:D 

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
TG:

Quote from: TG
My reason for the epithet was the expressed belief that "culture is destiny,"  ie., that the Iraqis were incapable of learning because of their pre existing culture.

It just happens to be true and has been for centuries, hysterical accusations of racism or no.

Here is the relationship:
Biology --> Culture --> Institutions (Political, Military, etc.)
With feedback loops.

Military institutions are downstream of culture and will be subject to its strengths and limitations.  There are some exceptions, but they are truly exceptional.

And Inshallah is not a synonym for "procrastinate."  It is a paradigm, the understanding of which will illuminate part of the reason Arab armies are ineffective when they encounter serious resistance.

There were many reasons the Ottoman Empire stole, kidnapped, and bought Christan boy children to turn into Janissaries.  It was not just, "Because the Ottomans were evil beasts," though that is also true.  No, the main reason was that they needed a fighting force that was not of Muslim culture to be its shock troops, willing to place loyalty to one another over loyalty to blood.  They needed shock troops that did not, in their heart of hearts, believe in Inshallah.

Problem is, TG, you don't know what you don't know and accuse others that do of being racists.  Welcome to the Progressive camp, in spirit if not card-membership.

"Demography is destiny."
----Auguste Comte

As it is.  Culture is also destiny, barring truly exceptional circumstances we were not willing to impose on Iraq.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
This is very interesting, and I am learning a lot.  I know we have some people here who were on active duty in the Balkans.  As a general rule, do these same issues apply to the indigenous military forces in that area?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »
Again my point is being missed.  My reason for the epithet was the expressed belief that "culture is destiny,"  ie., that the Iraqis were incapable of learning because of their pre existing culture.

Okay, they aren't incapable of learning.

They are unwilling to learn.

Does that make you feel better ... even though the end result is the same? (They don't learn.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
Another idiotic response.  I am NOT ignoring it.   I am disputing the apparent belief that it is inevitable dogma that because (apparently) "Arab armies, with only a few exceptions – exceptional because of a peculiar make up in those few cases – stink. I mean they just suck. They’re awful," That such will always be the case, and cannot ever be overcome or rectified.
If you bothered to  read what I wrote, you would have noticed that I actually said that it can be overcome. I even laid out how it can be done. You blithely ignored that.

The arabs are hardly the only ones with this culture.   It is a handicap sure but when the appropriate bashing together of heads it can be defeated.
Got any examples? Or is this just some hippie faith in humanity here?

But, we still required a draft and would never have filled the ranks of what was to be the largest army America had during WW2 up to that point in history without the aforsaid draft.
What you are missing here, time after time, is that the people being drafted identified as Americans. The people you think of as Iraqi do not think of themselves that way. Imagine how successful that draft would have been if they drafted only Canadians to fight for US.

Convincing such people to escape the shackles of that culture is a daunting task for sure.
What would it take for you, presumably an adult, to be convinced by some foreigner to stop considering yourself an American? It would take about the same for an Iraqi to become an Iraqi you want him to be.

George Santayana remarked "those who forget the lessons of history are forever doomed to repeat its mistakes."  Listen to the man.

I have also stipulated that it WILL take a long time, and that we are not going to be able to be the ones to do it.
We shouldn't be the ones doing it. As I explained, there are two ways to do it, the Moses way or the Mao way. Neither one is the American way, as I understand it.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
I saw some of the things you mentioned earlier in the thread. I think you are expanding them beyond anything the authors intended. 

At some point earlier in this thread it was remarked by someone that the Germans weren't fighting in the mideast because of two generations of being beat-down after the horrors of WW2.  This was a good point but it also ought to indicate that the Iraqis, as well, ought not be forever mired in their ways because of their culture, be it two generation or two thousand.
Do I really have to explain this all over, again? 

BTW in my previous post I said: "Perhaps though I overspoke my case."
I'll re-state the matter, more directly, I HEREBY APOLOGIZE FOR THE ACCUSATION OF BIGOTRY.
What I ought to do is go back and edit it out, but that really wouldn't be honest and I think I've been jumped on enough. >:D 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
ISIS is more appropriatly an "army" than a group of disjointed group of terrorists.  The ONLY point in the Third Army comparison was to show they are acting in a coherent, aggressive manner.  I am certainly NOT comparing Patton's goals, ethics, or morality, or any part of any American Army, past or present, with the morality or ethics of ISIS.
Al Qaeda terrorists, as well as others, operated in "cells," more comparable really to espionage agents than an army.  ISIS has discarded this in its formation into what is really, now (IMHO) an army.  
Where are you getting details on ISIS organization and movements?   I would like to see it. 
Perhaps only in a primitive form.  In between WW1 and 2 we actually were a pretty isolationist country and there remained many who thought we ought to let the europeans fix their own problems as Hitler rose to power.  FDR & Churchill, and a few others realized it wasn't going to work out that nicely, and when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, it spurred many to join and fight.  But, we still required a draft and would never have filled the ranks of what was to be the largest army America had during WW2 up to that point in history without the aforsaid draft.
I was speaking of culture and you mixing in politics and equating the two.  Not the same.

Americans have not always been eager to fight or volunteer, but will do so if required.  The cultural tradition of the citizen soldier it real.  The Japanese thought we wouldn't fight.  We didn't always fight well, but we did fight.  You also say isolationist like it means the same thing as pacifist.  I don't know where you get that.  The Marine Corp fought in a number of small actions during that time. 

I think you are ranging all over the place with your thoughts and stepping on your own points. 

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »
Where are you getting details on ISIS organization and movements?   I would like to see it.  I was speaking of culture and you mixing in politics and equating the two.  Not the same.
Every expert I've heard discussing ISIS/ISIL has pointed out that they are more like an army with a command structure than a terrorist group like Al Qaeda.  AQ, as I pointed out earlier has a mor disparate, or cell sctructure.  It's not one big homogeneous structure.
If it isn't true, then I apologize, but a helluva lot of supposed "experts" also owe an apology.
It's not like I can go over there and personally study ISIS.
 :O

Americans have not always been eager to fight or volunteer, but will do so if required.  The cultural tradition of the citizen soldier it real.  The Japanese thought we wouldn't fight.  We didn't always fight well, but we did fight.  You also say isolationist like it means the same thing as pacifist.  I don't know where you get that.  The Marine Corp fought in a number of small actions during that time. 

I think you are ranging all over the place with your thoughts and stepping on your own points. 

Isolationism often means pacifism because a desire to remain out of wars (especially in foreign countries) often motivates the pacifist.  It's true the two are not the same thing.
As far as stepping on my own points....I appreciate your understatement.  I suppose some might say I've been stomping all over them, considering how this thread has progressed.  :facepalm:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »
Who are the good guys over there?

What is the plan to win?

What is the plan to get out after victory?

I'm failing to see what our compelling national interest is in fighting ISIS and propping up an Iraqi government that does not represent the Iraqi people.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »
I don't call the desire to remain out of wars is the same as pacifism.  I guess that word covers a broad definition.  I feel we fell more along the lines of someone who is willing to fight if needed, but doesn't go looking for a fight.  To me, a pacifist would rather be conquered than fight or someone like Chamberlain who would give up all sorts of concessions to avoid war.  They see war is something to be avoided at all costs.

Not too long before WWI, European countries were constantly fighting one another for little or no gain.  I can understand not wanting to get sucked into that mess.  Hell, prior to WWI, we were only a few years past the Indian Wars and the Spanish-American War.  We had a lot of internal territory to expand into and had no need to go picking fights. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
The reason that ISIS is successful is because they are fighting for an Ideology and are drawing in fighters from all over the world.  If the Christianity and all other religions were to die out today and only Islam was left Shia and Sunni would start fighting each other over who was right.  And it would be some of the ugliest and bloodiest fighting you would ever see.

You can't change culture overnight. 

I have helped train Iraqi Correctional Officers and when you had to keep them separate because one family didn't like another, like the Hatfields and McCoys, you will never have a cohesive force.  Additionally you had to be careful where you put the officers because we had to the prisons were split by sect, sometimes you couldn't have a Sunni guard a Shia.

Bush nor Obama is to blame for us not staying in Iraq, the Iraqi government has themselves to blame for not signing a SOFA.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »

What is all this bigotry against Iraqi soldiers?  Do you guys think they're subhuman apes or something?
They can be properly trained and properly trained and properly motivated.  Maybe we're too dumb to figure out how -- which is not surprising if we think because they're mideasterners they're not worth a damned.

OK you convinced me they're all subhuman idiots who can only fight for meanies with bushy black mustaches.

I'll come out and say it.

yes, by and large, the majority of them are subhuman apes that cannot be properly motivated to fight without constant pressure from tyrants and their puppets.

Maybe, just *expletive deleted*ing MAYBE, you'd feel the same if you watched people you care about die trying to train those f *expletive deleted*faces, and directly dealt with the consequences of our 8 year effort to turn a bunch of backwards, superstitious, tribal, incompetent aholes into a fighting force that wouldn't hide behind civilians/US forces.

Maybe, just *expletive deleted*ing MAYBE, if you had rolled up on checkpoints that were booby trapped with IEDs because these cowards gave up their uniforms, gave the enemy their patrol schedules, and gave them rough estimates of YOUR patrol schedules, you'd feel the same.

Maybe if you had taken some fire inside the fob because the iraqis you "turned over" security to cut and run, leaving a gate wide open, you'd feel the same.

But you don't . Because you have no *expletive deleted*ing clue what you're talking about, having never dealt with the iraqi army. you're a *expletive deleted*ing blowhard talking out your ass, and then you have the *expletive deleted*ing AUDACITY to get indignant after you call us bigots?

Strap on your *expletive deleted*ing boots and go train them, Rambo, or shut the *expletive deleted* ck up

just THINK for a minute about your argument

"The iraqis can be trained, you guys just did a shitty job"

And you wonder why that viewpoint makes people upset.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:12:22 AM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
It's not like I can go over there and personally study ISIS.
 :O

You could, if you weren't a coward
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• friend
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »
I'll come out and say it.

yes, by and large, the majority of them are subhuman apes that cannot be properly motivated to fight without constant pressure from tyrants and their puppets.

Maybe, just *expletive deleted*ing MAYBE, you'd feel the same if you watched people you care about die trying to train those f *expletive deleted*faces, and directly dealt with the consequences of our 8 year effort to turn a bunch of backwards, superstitious, tribal, incompetent aholes into a fighting force that wouldn't hide behind civilians/US forces.

Maybe, just *expletive deleted*ing MAYBE, if you had rolled up on checkpoints that were booby trapped with IEDs because these cowards gave up their uniforms, gave the enemy their patrol schedules, and gave them rough estimates of YOUR patrol schedules, you'd feel the same.

Maybe if you had taken some fire inside the fob because the iraqis you "turned over" security to cut and run, leaving a gate wide open, you'd feel the same.

But you don't . Because you have no *expletive deleted*ing clue what you're talking about, having never dealt with the iraqi army. you're a *expletive deleted*ing blowhard talking out your ass, and then you have the *expletive deleted*ing AUDACITY to get indignant after you call us bigots?

Strap on your *expletive deleted*ing boots and go train them, Rambo, or shut the *expletive deleted* ck up

just THINK for a minute about your argument

"The iraqis can be trained, you guys just did a shitty job"

And you wonder why that viewpoint makes people upset.
One Goddamned LAST time: I was not blaming the U.S troops or contractors for Iraq, I was blaming the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. --oh, and the respective politicians, let's not forget THEM.

MY "viewpoint makes people upset?"   ??? :O

From my first post in this thread:
Quote from: TommyGunn
1.)   We should not have gone into Iraq in the first place.

Why in hell do you think I said that?   Can you give ME a reason, since you seem so astute at getting to the bottom of my motives, intents and intellect, just what in the friggin"   *****  I might have meant by that statement?

The fact that the Iraqis are not really one people but several peoples artificially put together in an "artificial" country a century or so ago is something that's been known a long time.  I mistanly thought that maybe Bush had the determination to get it right in Iraq, and he almost did, really, with the surge.  It's an open question whether he'd have been able to do much more if he'd had a longer term.  Obama was more worried about bringing our troops home than anything; I never had any illusions he'd be able to accomplish much.
Another point I will state again; I never thought or said turning the Iraqis into a coherent fighting force would be easy.  Or that it could happen quickly.  -- A really big reason that I made the statement #1 above.  
We don't have the patience or staying power, and, unfortunatly we are too willing (on the part of our politicians) to be gullible to the false claims of others.

I just finished Fox News analyst Bill O'Reilly's newest book, Killing Patton.  One thing that impressed me in the book (though I'd known it before) was Patton's attitude toward the Soviets and how he'd clashed with the political leadership (and even other generals such as Eisenhower & Bradley) about the future of europe with regard to those Soviets.  Stalin wished to usurp eastern europe (and eventually the world) and every move he made, every lie he told, was toward that end.  Meanwhile, both Churchill and Patton saw through this and realized the Soviets really ought to be pushed back, but this idea horrified Truman and other political leaders, since we'd been allied with the Soviets.  There was a substantial portion of the peoples in europe who gave a lot of credit to the Soviets for taking down the Nazi Regime as well.
In my opinion, Patton and Churchill had it right.   Our poilitical leadership didn't have the forsight or stamina to do what should have been done, as a result europe, and America, were condemned to a half century long cold war.
A great many of our country's "best" believed we could co-exist with Stalin peacefully, in spite of the fact his NKVD had already infiltrated the American government, state dept, and even Donovan's OSS.  When Truman told Josef Stalin at Potsdam about the recent development of the nuclear bomb, the poker-faced tyrant merely hoped they'd use it on Japan soon.  Truman didn't know Stalin already knew about the "bomb" -- thanks to Klaus Fuchs.
The gullibility we showed was stunning.

Iraq isn't the first time we ended a war in a short sighted manner (I won't get into the Treaty of Versailles   >:D ).  

I never thought the Iraq War would end pretty.
I was just thinking that we could have done it right if we'd have been willing to stay and bounce enough heads off each other to convince the disparate Iraqi tribes to get their *&^%$ act together.  Should we have been able to we could show that they were not condemned by their culture to a chaotic future.
But we can't, and they are.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:42:30 PM by TommyGunn »