Author Topic: Refuse to make rainbow cookies; get evicted.  (Read 16789 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Refuse to make rainbow cookies; get evicted.
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Unless homosexuals are somehow exempt from paying taxes in that town they are hurting them. They are located on property that is city owned, meaning tax dollars are involved, and some of those dollars come from those unwholesome homosexuals. This is really no different than a religious display - do what you want, but do it on your own property.

No, they are not hurting anyone. Declining to participate in National Coming Out Day hurts no one. This seems obvious. If the bakers put up a No Homosexuals Allowed sign, that might be actionable discrimination. When they get called on the carpet for not making rainbow cookies, the bakers become the victims of discrimination. They are being punished because they would not fall in line and parrot the establishment view. Again, obvious.

It's funny that the NCOD organizers could have simply lined up a different baker, but now the bakers must move their entire operation, or just go out of business. Yet the NCOD organizers are the victims?  Explain that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Look, it's not that anybody is saying the government decision is reasonable.

But again, once we've accepted that the government subsidizes businesses by running fairs/business centers, we've opened ourselves up to this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
Unless homosexuals are somehow exempt from paying taxes in that town they are hurting them. They are located on property that is city owned, meaning tax dollars are involved, and some of those dollars come from those unwholesome homosexuals. This is really no different than a religious display - do what you want, but do it on your own property.

they are renting from the city  not squatting  if they ran a book store and offered an anti gay book for sale it would be fine
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
The intolerance of the "tolerant" on full display.

Ayup.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 12:38:24 AM »
So now a private enterprise is held hostage to the fact that their in a business district and homosexuals pay taxes? 
Don't they own the enterprise?  Or do they just "lease" it by paying taxes?  Because, by that standard, I don't "own" my house because I still have to pay property taxes. 
This is sort of like saying if I send a letter to the editor of a newspaper, they "have to" publish it, because I pay taxes.  They don't "have to" publish it at all. That argument simply would not work.  If I had a right to have it published, thenm so would every other writer .... and name one paper that has enough space to publish every letter it gets .....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 01:59:57 AM »
The intolerance of the "tolerant" on full display.

Why should I be tolerant of people whose moral views I find abhorrent?

Am I calling for them to be shot, or fined for their beliefs? No, I just refuse to respect those views.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 02:29:29 AM »
I'd like to see the clause inthe lease that tells the bakery that the landlord has control over their customer base and what they will and won't produce.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
So now a private enterprise is held hostage to the fact that their in a business district and homosexuals pay taxes? 
Don't they own the enterprise?  Or do they just "lease" it by paying taxes?  Because, by that standard, I don't "own" my house because I still have to pay property taxes. 
They are on city property, not just in a business district. The city owns the building.

This is sort of like saying if I send a letter to the editor of a newspaper, they "have to" publish it, because I pay taxes.  They don't "have to" publish it at all. That argument simply would not work.  If I had a right to have it published, thenm so would every other writer .... and name one paper that has enough space to publish every letter it gets ..... 
If it was a state-owned paper that would be a valid argument.

No, they are not hurting anyone. Declining to participate in National Coming Out Day hurts no one. This seems obvious. If the bakers put up a No Homosexuals Allowed sign, that might be actionable discrimination. When they get called on the carpet for not making rainbow cookies, the bakers become the victims of discrimination. They are being punished because they would not fall in line and parrot the establishment view. Again, obvious.
The bakers are doing their business on public property, which is ostensibly owned by everyone who pays taxes. Taxpayers, as part owners, have use of this property. Denying them use of it is hurting them.

It's funny that the NCOD organizers could have simply lined up a different baker, but now the bakers must move their entire operation, or just go out of business. Yet the NCOD organizers are the victims?  Explain that.
They did line up a different baker. Didn't you read the article? They also made their displeasure known, as is their right.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:39 AM »
Why should I be tolerant of people whose moral views I find abhorrent?

Am I calling for them to be shot, or fined for their beliefs? No, I just refuse to respect those views.

And support using the force of government against them.

As well as support using the government to promote your views.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »

How is it 'force' to evict people from state property?

Or rather: if they stayed on state property, then the money of homosexual taxpayers would have been used to support those who find said homosexuals morally abhorrent. That's equally bad as evicting them would be.

This is the inevitable result of using the government to support business: someone gets screwed.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »

This isn't always wrong - for example, Government backed education programs were instrumental in combatting racism.  The .gov does have a legitimate interest in protecting its constituents from discrimination and other unfair treatment.

When the state does business, it's entirely within its bounds to support its constituents by refusing to deal with those who discriminate against them. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
Property rights are are increasingly becoming a convenient fiction in the USA.

How long before any organization that is incorporated or resides in a corporation will be made to tow the line, regardless of religious of philosophical differences with the state?

Your house is in a corporation (county/city), if you hold a mortgage it is owned by a corporation, some of you are running your whole households as part of your corporation I suspect.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
This isn't always wrong - for example, Government backed education programs were instrumental in combatting racism.  The .gov does have a legitimate interest in protecting its constituents from discrimination and other unfair treatment.

When the state does business, it's entirely within its bounds to support its constituents by refusing to deal with those who discriminate against them.  

Sweet. So if an atheist bakery refused to put John 3:16 on a cupcake because they didn't want to be seen as supporting evangelism, you'd be alright with them being evicted?

After all, the government does have a legitimate interest in protecting its constituents from discrimination and other unfair treatment.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Sweet. So if an atheist bakery refused to put John 3:16 on a cupcake because they didn't want to be seen as supporting evangelism, you'd be alright with them being evicted?

After all, the government does have a legitimate interest in protecting its constituents from discrimination and other unfair treatment.

Don't be silly, the government has a vested interest in destroying the common (marginally) Christian culture here in the states.

The old, soon to be abandoned common Christian culture (protestant work ethic, historical Judea/Christian ethics etc.), is the only true competitor here in the states against the worshipers of secular state power.  

Anything government can do to weaken the power base of our historic cultural identity is fair game.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:59:44 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
Mak, there is and always has been a difference between the Government promoting religious messages, and promoting civic messages.  
"Do not discriminate on the basis of religion" is a civic message; "John 3:16" is a religious message.  It's fairly simple to tell one from the other.

The equivalent to this is a bakery refusing to put "justice for all" on a cookie, and then losing a city contract as a result.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
Mak, there is and always has been a difference between the Government promoting religious messages, and promoting civic messages.  
"Do not discriminate on the basis of religion" is a civic message; "John 3:16" is a religious message.  It's fairly simple to tell one from the other.

The equivalent to this is a bakery refusing to put "justice for all" on a cookie, and then losing a city contract as a result.

Disagreement about what constitutes "justice" will not be tolerated.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 10:01:22 AM »
Don't be silly, the government has a vested interest in destroying the common (marginally) Christian culture here in the states.

The old, soon to be abandoned common Christian culture (protestant work ethic, historical Judea/Christian ethics etc.), is the only true competitor here in the states against the worshipers of secular state power.  

A secular political system was engineered into America from the start.  Thanks in part to Thomas Jefferson.

There was a time when churches preached the divine virtues of slavery and segregation; the Government rightfully opposed that message, even though it was widely shared by many Christians.  There's no reason to analyze Government action to end discrimination against gays any differently.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Property rights are are increasingly becoming a convenient fiction in the USA.

These people didn't own property.

If you rent, it's best not to tee off your landlord.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »

There was a time when churches preached the divine virtues of slavery and segregation; the Government rightfully opposed that message, even though it was widely shared by many Christians.  There's no reason to analyze Government action to end discrimination against gays any differently.

non sequitor

Christianity in fact was one of the driving forces behind the end of slavery, see "underground railroad".

Secular Russia and China make the old Church of Rome at its worst look like pikers.

We are talking about a place of business who happens to rent from .gov being told who they have to sell to, whether they like it our not.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
These people didn't own property.

If you rent, it's best not to tee off your landlord.

The landlord is acting on behalf of me, I don't like how they are representing me and will work to change that.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
"Do not discriminate on the basis of religion" is a civic message; "John 3:16" is a religious message.  It's fairly simple to tell one from the other.

Oh, ok. So, "Those stinking Christians are wrong to think homosexuality is a sin" is a civic message while "I believe homosexuality is a sin" is a religious message.

Got it.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
They are on city property, not just in a business district. The city owns the building.
But they don't own the business.....
If it was a state-owned paper that would be a valid argument.
The bakers are doing their business on public property, which is ostensibly owned by everyone who pays taxes. Taxpayers, as part owners, have use of this property. Denying them use of it is hurting them.
They did line up a different baker. Didn't you read the article? They also made their displeasure known, as is their right.

The whole thing stinks of statism no matter how you cut it.  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
 ???

Does leasing property work differently where some of you folks live?

Where I'm from, signing a lease on a piece of property makes you the property owner's tenant, not the property owner's bitch.  Unless the you agree upfront in the lease, taking out a lease does not give the landlord any power over the day-to-day operation of your business.

I'd like to see the clause inthe lease that tells the bakery that the landlord has control over their customer base and what they will and won't produce.
This is the prime question that needs to be answered.  Unless it's in the lease, the landlord (city government or not) needs to STFU and let the bakery go about its business.

So, does anyone have the part of the lease that says the city can run the bakery's business?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:05:30 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
Where I'm from, signing a lease on a piece of property makes you the property owner's tenant, not the property owner's bitch.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Agreed.

The article did say they were on a month to month lease so they may be able to prevent renewal of the lease.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:26:11 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »
Listen, there is a distinction between business and the property it is in.  
The business can always move -- and if the owners feel strongly about not making cookies for _______  then they SHOULD move.
Another issue is any specifications that are in the contract.  Does it allow for them to ... "descriminate?"
And I will also point out that the story indicates they're too busy to do more "special orders."  If they refuse ALL "special orders" this will likely pass muster legally -- atleast in my neck of the woods. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:29:04 PM by TommyGunn »