Author Topic: Insider Trading on Capitol Hill: "It's good to be the king!"  (Read 1003 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Insider Trading on Capitol Hill: "It's good to be the king!"
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:46:22 AM »
http://volokh.com/2010/10/10/insider-trading-on-capitol-hill/

Turns out that Congress exempted itself and congressional staffers from insider trading laws...and makes a tidy profit from so doing.

This study:
http://www.professorbainbridge.com/professorbainbridgecom/2010/07/insider-trading-inside-the-beltway.html
shows that US Senators manage to beat market returns by 12% per year.  U.S. households on average underperform the market by 1.4% per year.  Corporate insiders on average beat the market by only about 6% per year.

[mel_brooks]It's good to be the king!  Pull![/mel_brooks]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Insider Trading on Capitol Hill: "It's good to be the king!"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
...Turns out that Congress exempted itself and congressional staffers from insider trading laws...and makes a tidy profit from so doing.....

[barf]  Old, old, OLD story!  And it should STOP!   
We need another revolution .... oh, wait, public forum here, I can't be seen advocating violence.  oooops  :facepalm: [tinfoil]

Atleast  [barf]  will always be available.

Moving on ......  (*sigh*)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »
Hell I've got more credibility than the entire congress, can I exempt myself from GCA '68?

Congress, home of law abiding thieves and liars(because they are exempted).

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
Hell I've got more credibility than the entire congress, can I exempt myself from GCA '68?

Congress, home of law abiding thieves and liars(because they are exempted).

Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger, laddy. *exempts self from the '34 NFA*

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »
It looks as if I'm learned of another situation where I could say "If I'm on a jury where someone is charged with violating a law Congress exempted itself (or some other .gov folks) from, I WOULD NOT CONVICT. Period. End of discussion."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain