Author Topic: jeep headlights  (Read 6289 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: jeep headlights
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27:26 AM »
My daugher has a 90-something Cherokee.

The biggest problem that she has had with it has been with the door locks/latches and rear gate  ;/

I had mine get gummed up nasty once.  Pulled the mechanisim for the rear gate, soaked it in degreaser, dried it, liberally applied powder teflon lubricant and it worked like a charm thereafter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
I had mine get gummed up nasty once.  Pulled the mechanisim for the rear gate, soaked it in degreaser, dried it, liberally applied powder teflon lubricant and it worked like a charm thereafter.

Come to think of it, I may have actually fixed that one - loosened a clamp and took up some slack in the cable and re-tightened the clamp  =|

AFAIK, she never did find the inside cover plate which she had taken off some time before that  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
The '94 Jeep factory service manual says the delay module is located on the inside of the instrument panel, to the right of the headlight switch.

Removal
  • Remove the lower instrument panel
  • Remove the screw that attaches the module to the inside of the instrument panel
  • disconnect the wire harness connector and remove the module from the instrument panel

Ah -- the '94 manual says if both high beams and low beams are inoperative, test the 40-amp fuse for continuity and replace if necessary. News to me -- my '88 Cherokee still uses the integral circuit breaker. So I'd start with the fuse before dismembering the dashboard. Lemme see if it'll tell me where said fuse is. A 40-amp is going to be a big sucker ...

Great. The trouble-shooting clearly says "40-amp" but the fuse panel chart doesn't list any 40-amp fuses. #17 is 7.5-amp for the delay module.

But wait -- why put all the fuses in the fuse panel? There's a "power distribution center" under the hood. Along with a bunch of relays, it looks like there may be a 40-amp fuse for the headlights. #F6.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:59:49 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
The '94 Jeep factory service manual says the delay module is located on the inside of the instrument panel, to the right of the headlight switch.

Ah -- the '94 manual says if both high beams and low beams are inoperative, test the 40-amp fuse for continuity and replace if necessary. News to me -- my '88 Cherokee still uses the integral circuit breaker. So I'd start with the fuse before dismembering the dashboard. Lemme see if it'll tell me where said fuse is. A 40-amp is going to be a big sucker ...

Great. The trouble-shooting clearly says "40-amp" but the fuse panel chart doesn't list any 40-amp fuses. #17 is 7.5-amp for the delay module.

But wait -- why put all the fuses in the fuse panel? There's a "power distribution center" under the hood. Along with a bunch of relays, it looks like there may be a 40-amp fuse for the headlights. #F6.

yup that 40 amp is in the block under the hood  and its still good
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 04:48:01 PM »

yup that 40 amp is in the block under the hood  and its still good

Check it carefully -- or with a V.O.M. There's a similar 40-amp fuse in my wife's 2000 Cherokee, for the auxiliary cooling fan. The fan locked up, and after I replaced it the new one wouldn't come on. The fuse looked good, visually, but when I checked it with a multimeter it was an open circuit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
Check it carefully -- or with a V.O.M. There's a similar 40-amp fuse in my wife's 2000 Cherokee, for the auxiliary cooling fan. The fan locked up, and after I replaced it the new one wouldn't come on. The fuse looked good, visually, but when I checked it with a multimeter it was an open circuit.

thanks i'll do that soon as wife brings it home
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
Fun cherokee story:
My ignigtion switch went out once.  It wouldn't turn off.  I had to reach up and manually turn the swtich off.
It shocked the *expletive deleted*it out of me first time I had to do it.   :O
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”