Author Topic: Trouble in Memphis?  (Read 4192 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Trouble in Memphis?
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2023, 05:41:20 PM »
No, you treat them like a rapist or child molester. Feet first down a woodchipper.

Amusement park style slide into a pond of gators. Have the gators trained to expect dinner at the sound of a bell.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2023, 05:47:40 PM »
It's too cold for gators here but in the right places that would work.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2023, 07:26:47 PM »
I'm legitimately not pointing fingers here, but it has been my experience that folks that gleefully look forward to violence either haven't done much violence, or need some help.

Kill a few folks and report back.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2023, 07:30:16 PM »
My half-brother once said of me "He'll fight at the drop of a hat, and drop his own hat!" I've mellowed considerably since.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2023, 08:02:20 PM »
I'm legitimately not pointing fingers here, but it has been my experience that folks that gleefully look forward to violence either haven't done much violence, or need some help.

Dogmush, I don't think you understand me.  I don't think killing people is fun.  I am a non-violent person.  I have only had to kill animals, and I hate it.

1) I  want to expand judicial execution to get rid of people who commit serious violent crimes, in order to prevent further crimes.

2) I think methods of execution should, in compliance with the bill of rights, be no more painful than hanging, shooting, etc.  But of course, that has nothing to do with what people deserve; it is better than most violent criminals deserve.  What murderers deserve is simply what they did to their victims.  This is in line with the concept of karma.  This is simply not possible in the Judicial system under the Bill of Rights, which prohibits the just deserts for the most evil offenders.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2023, 08:09:25 PM »

(Bolding mine)

If that's in reference to the Eighth Amendment proscription against cruel and unusual punishment, I agree.  Quick and clean permanent removal from society is one thing, tortuous punishment is another.  It tells me something about the advocate thereof.

Calling it "deserved" does not free one from the stigma, no matter how defensive one gets about it.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2023, 08:11:46 PM »
I would hope the over the top silliness of my suggestion would make it clear it was largely sarcasm
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2023, 08:27:47 PM »

No, you treat them like a rapist or child molester. Feet first down a woodchipper.

QUOTED FOR THE PERMANENT RECORD.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2023, 08:31:12 PM »
Quick and clean permanent removal from society is one thing, tortuous punishment is another.  It tells me something about the advocate thereof.

I did not advocate torture anywhere.  I have clearly explained that it violates the bill of rights, even if the person being executed deserves it.  You are misunderstanding what I am writing.  Good grief.

If you don't like me, well, I don't even know who you are.  You won't be the only person who thinks I am a jerk.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2023, 08:32:25 PM »
And don't you dare say I have no sense of humor

Terry, 230RN

I've heard that excuse before.  Even used it myself.

Oh good grief
How could someone take amusement parks slides into pools of gators seriously?

Okay, how about catapult rides into pools of gators?  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2023, 09:26:40 PM »
Sorry about that.  No excuse, Sir.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2023, 10:26:37 PM »
Be that as it may

Some are determined to play the race card in this.

Tyre Nichols, who will be laid to rest on Wednesday, was killed for driving while Black
The question we should be asking now is, why are Black people stopped so often for traffic violations? Why are so many across the United States dying at the hands, or tasers or guns of police officers during these stops? And what can be done to change this horrific situation?

Opinion: The deplorable reason Memphis police stopped Tyre Nichols
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/31/opinions/tyre-nichols-funeral-black-drivers-wiley/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2023, 08:54:37 AM »
From that article:
So often in cases like these, the victim is on trial. But here, not only has the Memphis Police Department deemed the force used to detain him excessive, it also stated that there is no evidence that Nichols was even driving recklessly, the asserted reason he was stopped in the first place. Since the firing of the five police officers charged in his death, two additional officers have been relieved of duty, as have three EMT workers.

Perhaps I have not delved into this story much.  Can someone summarize what the one white officer who was suspended and the two EMT workers did?  How were they involved?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2023, 09:02:48 AM »
From that article:
Perhaps I have not delved into this story much.  Can someone summarize what the one white officer who was suspended and the two EMT workers did?  How were they involved?

The one white officer was at the first scene, where the initial traffic stop occurred, and according to some was the one who pulled Nichols out of the car. But it should be noted he did not chase, as far as I'm aware, Nichols to the 2nd scene where the fatal beating occurred.
The EMTs IIRC are accused of standing around doing nothing for a long period of time (15-20 minutes?) while Nichols lay on the ground bleeding at the 2nd scene after the beating.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »
May have overlooked it or they haven't said but who made the initial reckless driving call?
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »
May have overlooked it or they haven't said but who made the initial reckless driving call?

The reason for that initial stop seems to be more and more critical.  It was stated "officially" that it was not for reckless driving, still, to my mind, it seems like "officially," everybody's side-stepping the issue.

Yet apparently, Nichols himself recognized a genuine danger and tried (unsuccessfully) to run away and the beating started when they caught up to him.  And they were pretty diligent about tracking him down after his escape.  (I was tempted to add, "escape from their clutches.")

As I say, the genuine honest-to-G-d reason for the initial stop seems to be more and more critical, yet less and less accessible.

Any clues, any rumors, anything?

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2023, 09:45:37 AM »
I've had questions about the initial stop itself from the moment I read the Chief said the reckless driving charges were false. That raises more questions about the stop. Was this guy targeted? I don't know.
Some were saying he was fooling around with one of the 5s GF but others are saying that's rubbish.
Gang?
He worked at Fedex, drug shipment gone bad?
?

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2023, 10:32:30 AM »
Were these cops wearing body cameras?  I hadn't heard if they were.

I hear commentary from some asking if people would be doing something if the victim was white.  What more to these activists want?  Seems like the initial reactions are what someone would want.  They fired the cops and charged them.  Others potentially connected are suspended. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2023, 10:35:20 AM »
Of course all this could just be a result of a perfect storm of Aholes
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2023, 02:16:06 PM »
That seems to be happening a lot these days.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2023, 05:26:13 PM »
I've had questions about the initial stop itself from the moment I read the Chief said the reckless driving charges were false. That raises more questions about the stop. Was this guy targeted? I don't know.
Some were saying he was fooling around with one of the 5s GF but others are saying that's rubbish.
Gang?
He worked at Fedex, drug shipment gone bad?
?
(Undetlining mine)

The longer this goes on without a palpable reason for the stop, the more I suspect it was some kind of morality BS.

Did he have a Facebook or other social account where he was badmouthing the PD or something?

Sorry to be persistent about it, and I'm sure the local reporters have probed on it, but the longer there's no additional public data, the more suspiciouser it gets.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2023, 10:33:52 PM »
Race Race Race

Here's the "Rev" Al Sharpton

Al Sharpton claims if Tyre Nichols had been White, police 'wouldn’t have beat him like that'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/al-sharpton-claims-tyre-nichols-white-police-wouldnt-beat-like
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2023, 11:27:49 PM »
google vice lords tyre nichols

vice lords is a well known gang, the cops are "allegedly" members but the smart money is betting they are and  they were told to beat him to death
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2023, 11:35:52 PM »
google vice lords tyre nichols

vice lords is a well known gang, the cops are "allegedly" members but the smart money is betting they are and  they were told to beat him to death

But only because he was black right?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2023, 09:47:44 PM »
Police involved shooting in Memphis
May or not be connected

BREAKING NEWS: Memphis cop is in 'extremely critical condition' after being shot by a 'confrontational man' at a library: Black man is also killed one day after the funeral of Tyre Nichols who died at hands of cops in same city
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11707427/Memphis-cop-critical-condition-one-person-dead-shooting-library.html
- Calvin and Hobbes