Author Topic: Jack Bauer's '24' getting cancelled  (Read 7864 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Jack Bauer's '24' getting cancelled
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:14:42 AM »
http://tv.yahoo.com/24/show/28479/news/tv.accesshollywood.com/tv.accesshollywood.com-fox-24-canceled

I watched this the first several seasons, and enjoyed it, but after the lead actor did a commercial apologizing for the use of guns in the tv program, I rapidly lost interest and respect for the show.

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Jack Bauer's '24' getting cancelled
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »
I'm OK with it going away.  I still watch it, but I think it has run its course. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Paddy2010

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
The best show on television.  Maybe Kiefer has made enough money to drink the rest of his life away.  What does that leave?  'Reality TV ?'   [barf]  American Idol with the gay primadonna Simon Cowell?  [barf]  Biggest Loser with a bunch of fatass self absorbed neurotics?  Dancing with the Stars is better than both those shows put together.   Check out Craig Ferguson, Late late show CBS.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
I've seen a few episodes.  The show was boring.
It was another one of those shows that relied on stupid things happening for drama.
Bauer releases a convict to halp him get data from some guy.  The guy agrees, goes into the other guy's warehouse wearing a bug, and says to the guy "Bauer and all the cops are outside, give me a gun."
So of course Bauer goes in and pwns them all, job well done right?  That jerk betrayed him!
Oh now, "Bauer you idiot, I was tricking him into uploading the data to a flash drive, now you'll neeeeeever get it."
Well, maybe you should have told him the plan in the seven or so hours you guys rode next to each other on the plane to the place.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Paddy2010

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:46:33 AM »
Hey mabs, what shows do you like?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »
I don't have a television, and this is the only show I keep up with on Hulu. 

http://www.hulu.com/parks-and-recreation

Well, I also follow Castle, but it's kinda hokey.  Still love Mal, though, and Nikki Heat is - um - hot. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
Fistful,

We've been watching Space: Above and Beyond that you recommended in another thread a little while back.

Actually pretty good show.  It somehow comes off as a bit low production, the background music is kinda cheesy, and the acting is barely okay.  What holds it all together are the dialog and stories, which are both excellent.  Characterization is strong too, IMHO.

It comes off like Battlestar Galactica, but with everybody about ten years younger.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
That is really cool!  I was wondering how I'd ever repay you for the ff set you sent me, but I could never think of a show that I really thought you would like. 

By the way, did you find it online somewhere, or did you get it on DVD?  I'd kinda like to see it again, myself. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »
I don't have a television, and this is the only show I keep up with on Hulu. 

http://www.hulu.com/parks-and-recreation

Ron Swanson is my hero.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
By the way, did you find it online somewhere, or did you get it on DVD?  I'd kinda like to see it again, myself. 

Netflix.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
Ron Swanson is my hero.

Not Justin, or Jean Ralpheo?   :laugh:  

I think Aziz Ansari is my favoritest.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:14:48 PM by fistful »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
I watched the first season and tho't it was OK.  Started watching the 2nd season, and in one of the first few episodes Jack murdered a witness who was in federal custody and cut off his head just to establish "street creds" to infiltrate a gang.  First they made sure we knew that the guy was a dirtbag with no redeeming qualities (child rapist, I think) so that somehow made it alright.

I figured out that the whole premise of the show was that federal agents were above the law, and subliminal message was that *anything* the government does is OK as long as they claim to be fighting trrrrism.  I never watched another episode.

"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »
I watched the first season and tho't it was OK.  Started watching the 2nd season, and in one of the first few episodes Jack murdered a witness who was in federal custody and cut off his head just to establish "street creds" to infiltrate a gang.  First they made sure we knew that the guy was a dirtbag with no redeeming qualities (child rapist, I think) so that somehow made it alright.

I figured out that the whole premise of the show was that federal agents were above the law, and subliminal message was that *anything* the government does is OK as long as they claim to be fighting trrrrism.  I never watched another episode.

Pretty much my opinion on the whole thing.  I had a very hard time watching him circumvent the BOR and plain human decencency to continue watching it.  That, and the supporting characters often sucked.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:24:08 PM »
Not Justin, or Jean Ralpheo?   :laugh:  

I think Aziz Ansari is my favoritest.

Ron is everything  I aspire to be as a .gov employee. I use his line about wanting the government to be taken over by a corporation (like Chuck E Cheese, because they have a good business model) all the time. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
Also, he gets mad action with the ladies, in that raccoon hat. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »
I laugh at how indestructable Jack Bauer is.

He's fully recovered from last year's incurable dose of bioengineered prions, but now, during "today's" action, he's . . .

1. Been in numerous fights and gunfights . . .

2. Been tied into a chair by a bad cop who proceeded to beat the tar out of him . . .

3. Been tied up by Russian bad guys, hanging from an overhead pipe, while they beat the tar out of him AND tortured him with electricity . . .

4. Stabbed in the gut by a former FBI agent who'd just stabbed a Russian bad guy to death . . .

5. Shot and suffering from a collapsed lung . . .

And he just keeps going and going, without so much as a black eye or split lip. What a guy!!! 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
What does that leave?

Caprica, Breaking Bad and South Park.

Droids, Drugs Dealers & Devients all running amuk.  What more could one ask for?

Well, I do hear of rumors of Futurama's return.

Buts that is just icing on the scone. =D =D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
Hey mabs, what shows do you like?
I DON'T LIKE ANYTHING
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 12:38:52 AM »
I've seen just one episode of Caprica, the one where the daughter is in the robot, and the Dad sets a fire around her and makes her shoot her dog.  It was surprisingly engaging, for a viewer that's never seen BSG.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »
i just have to say, one less copudrama is a good thing. :angel: pity we can't get the dems doing something worthwhile, like banning poorly scripted and acted tv. [popcorn]

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:30 AM »
I gave up, writers in h'wood never ever bother to research minimum gun owner skills.
How am I supposed to believe that these guys are experts if they keep their finger on the trigger and
all the other stupid stuff?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:30 AM »
Why would you expect writers to be experts in gun-handling, or in anything other than story-telling?   ???

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
It's nice when the directors and/or producers are weapon/combat nuts and like to attempt to get stuff right. Michael Mann seems to try (and succeed) more often than most.

As for 24, I really like it. I'm not a TV person, so I wait until a season is released on DVD and then binge on it over a couple of weeks.
I'm not a bit fan of Jack-Booted-Thugginess (my own new term :D), but I can suspend my own beliefs when watching fiction like this, as I 'know' that it needs to be done.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 07:51:17 AM »
figured out that the whole premise of the show was that federal agents were above the law, and subliminal message was that *anything* the government does is OK as long as they claim to be fighting trrrrism.  I never watched another episode.

Yeah, that did it in for me too. Along with the ubiquitous bleep...blip....bleep....blip
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
Why would you expect writers to be experts in gun-handling, or in anything other than story-telling?   ???

No, but producers and directors can easily hire experts in the field who can instruct the actors on proper firearms techniques. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”