Author Topic: Jack Bauer's '24' getting cancelled  (Read 7863 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Jack Bauer's '24' getting cancelled
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »
No, but producers and directors can easily hire experts in the field who can instruct the actors on proper firearms techniques.  
If they were making a documentary I'd expect them to be sticklers for the facts.  Since they're producing fictional entertainment, I wonder why anyone would expect them to nitpick about firearms technique.

A lot of people seem to forget that the point of shows like 24 is to entertain, not to be politically correct or have accurate depictions of gunplay.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »
Wow, what a short run.  The show's been on for what?  Eight days?  Nine days?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
Wow, what a short run.  The show's been on for what?  Eight days?  Nine days?

About as long as Firefly. :P

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
A lot of people seem to forget that the point of shows like 24 is to entertain, not to be politically correct or have accurate depictions of gunplay.

But Hollywood also forgets (or, more likely doesn't care) that many viewers of their shows are technically adept, and immediately spot technical flaws that detract from a story line.  That makes the viewing experience less enjoyable for many.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
But Hollywood also forgets (or, more likely doesn't care) that many viewers of their shows are technically adept, and immediately spot technical flaws that detract from a story line.  That makes the viewing experience less enjoyable for many.

Which I now realize is what gunsmith was trying to say.  I thought he was bothered by the writers not being experts.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
Nope, Hollywood doesn't care.  Why should they?  Their intended market isn't internet gun geeks, nor should it be.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »
I've found if one has any expertise much beyond the average person in any given area one tends to find lots of stuff to poke holes in when they see something related to that subject on a TV show or a movie. I'm always seeing horrible inaccuracies related to guns and gunplay, or things related to computers, and my wife (a trauma RN) is always groaning at the horrible medical inaccuracies in shows.

I certainly don't think it's just guns they get wrong. They pretty much get the details of most things wrong.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:41 AM »
I've heard watching Top Gun with a navy pilot in the room is fun.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 02:41:48 AM »
Nope, Hollywood doesn't care.  Why should they?

Part of the reason Dragnet was so good was Jack Webb's penchant for accuracy.

Of course, his goofy walk was distracting, but everything else made it a classic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
Nope, Hollywood doesn't care.  Why should they?  Their intended market isn't internet gun geeks, nor should it be.

Accuracy and believability. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
I've found if one has any expertise much beyond the average person in any given area one tends to find lots of stuff to poke holes in when they see something related to that subject on a TV show or a movie.
I'd go further - when one has some expertise about a given topic ON THE NEWS, he'll likely be able to spot a great many inaccuracies in the news story.

So if Hollywood and the news can't get it right about topics a person has personal knowledge about . . . why would one assume they get it right when one DOESN'T have personal knowledge of the topic?

I'm a skeptic about EVERYTHING I see in the movies and on TV . . . unless a show is meant as pure entertainment so I can just lean back, relax, and enjoy it, the "message" us usually going to be lost on me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »
The best show on television.  Maybe Kiefer has made enough money to drink the rest of his life away.  What does that leave?  'Reality TV ?'   [barf]  American Idol with the gay primadonna Simon Cowell?  [barf]  Biggest Loser with a bunch of fatass self absorbed neurotics?  Dancing with the Stars is better than both those shows put together.   Check out Craig Ferguson, Late late show CBS.
Gene Simmons Family Jewels... I was laughing so hard so long last night at one particular part I felt like an idiot for not being able to stop. Thinking about it has got me laughing now:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »
Gene Simmons Family Jewels... I was laughing so hard so long last night at one particular part I felt like an idiot for not being able to stop. Thinking about it has got me laughing now:lol:

Is that the show where on one of the episodes they go "back to nature" in a motor home and hotty Shannon Tweed is the fish catching whiz while Gene's afraid to step out of the motor home?

I caught that last year I think. I've gotta check Hulu and catch up!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »
Nope, gene's birthday and they are talking to him via web phone with video, them (family and several friends) at the house and him in a hotel room in San Fran. First off it was funny because he had no idea how to talk on the computer so he kept leaning over to speak in the mic and all you could see was the top of his head but THEN he's in his bathrobe and someone knocks on the door,  as he gets up to get it his bathrobe flies open and you get a (blurred over for TV) shot of his, uh, junk, and all the friends at the other end jump back in unison and go "Whoa!". I can't recall the last time I laughed so hard.  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:44:36 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!