Author Topic: The Warping of Free Speech  (Read 1940 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Warping of Free Speech
« on: October 01, 2005, 05:48:38 PM »
I think this story typifies how free speech has come to include "free destruction of property" for some segments of the protest bunch. If we as a society still allowed people to punch these kinds of whackos in the nose while they were commiting their acts, I think we'd see a big increase in POLITE and reasoned free speech.

I guarantee these four grew up in a sheltered and undisciplined setting (or went to Montessori school).

-----------------------------------------
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050921/NEWS01/509210336/1002

Recruiter recalls being splashed with blood during protest
War protesters decline chance to cross-examine first witnesses

By NANCY DOOLING
Gannett News Service

BINGHAMTON  On March 17, 2003, four protesters splashed or poured their own blood on the walls, floor, an American flag and other items in a Lansing military recruiting office to protest the pending war with Iraq.

In the process, some of the blood got on Staff Sgt. Rachon Montgomery, the Army recruiter who worked out of the office.

You don't come to work expecting that kind of thing, Montgomery testified Tuesday in federal court where Clare Grady, Teresa Grady, Peter De Mott and Daniel Burns are on trial for what prosecutors said was violating federal laws.

I was just there to do my job, said Montgomery, 31. He's been an Army recruiter for six years, Montgomery told a courtroom packed with about 100 people, most of them supporters of the four protesters. Testimony from additional prosecution witnesses, including the police, is expected today.

The four are on trial in federal court on charges of conspiring to impede the duties of U.S. officials and damaging or injuring federal property and officials. The conspiracy charge  the most serious  carries up to six years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The trial began Monday.

The four protesters, who live in Ithaca, said they'd each had four ounces of blood withdrawn by a nurse. They brought their blood  about two cups total, Clare Grady testified  in four containers to the recruiting office and splashed it on various items in the office. A small amount landed on the recruiter's hand while Burns was splashing his blood on a glass door in the office lobby, Montgomery testified.

Photographs offered by the prosecutor, Assistant U.S. Attorney Miroslav Lovric, showed blood on an American flag and a military banner. A few streams of blood were poured onto the walls and pooled where the wall met the floor. Bloody footprints were also tracked across the lobby's linoleum floors, the photographs showed.

Professional cleaners were hired the next day to clean the mess. The lobby smelled badly before the cleaners arrived, Montgomery said. He said he had himself tested afterward for blood-borne illnesses such as HIV and hepatitis. Though the tests came back negative, he said he was upset by the incident.

The protesters, who call themselves the St. Patrick's Four, said they protested with blood to stop the military from recruiting young men and women for the war. They said their act was not a crime because they acted to prevent a larger crime  America's plan to go to war with Iraq, they testified.

A Tompkins County jury could not decide last year if the four were guilty of state felony criminal mischief charges in connection with the 2003 protest. Their Tompkins County trial ended in a mistrial, and the case was passed on to federal prosecutors.

Tempers flared briefly when Burns protested the wording of the indictment.

That is a misjustice, he shouted, throwing a pen onto a table. Judge Thomas J. McAvoy threatened to remove Burns from the courtroom

You cannot discuss it now, he told Burns, who later apologized to the judge and the jury. The four are representing themselves, with help from three legal advisers.

They declined to cross-examine Montgomery and State Police Capt. Lawrence Jackmin from Ithaca, who testified about a Dec. 21, 2002, protest at the Lansing recruiting office when 14 protesters lay down in the lobby and refused to leave. Three of the four were involved in the 2002 protest; Teresa Grady was not. One of the counts on the indictment concerns the 2002 incident.

The protesters have admitted to pouring their blood in protest. Clare Grady on Tuesday appealed to the 12-member jury to use reason and their hearts to decide the case. She said she was moved to protest after a visit to Iraq in 1999.

This case is about love, truth and the power of symbolic actions, she testified.

Originally published September 21, 2005
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 06:26:34 PM »
Morons. Just for some irony I would attempt to nail them for what they did as an act of bioterrorism.

I fail to see what these kinds of 'protests' actually achieve. All you do is harden the opinion of those who already dissagree with you, and probably alienate a few who do agree with you. The 'power of symbolic actions' existed only in their very small minds I'm afraid.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 10:47:02 PM »
Let them protest the brutality of the American penal system, from the inside.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:06:58 PM »
The protesters, who call themselves the St. Patrick's Four, said they protested with blood to stop the military from recruiting young men and women for the war. They said their act was not a crime because they acted to prevent a larger crime  America's plan to go to war with Iraq, they testified.
Oh good ... so if I decide to go to New York and murder these four idiots I can simply say its not a crime because I acted to prevent a larger crime of trying to undermine our troops in the war.

Of course the usual leftist idiots love these jackasses.

This site proclaims "St Patrick's Four: A Victory for Nonviolence" ... apparently if you're a liberal, throwing chemicals generally regarded as a bio-hazard onto another person is "nonviolence" ... of course if I urinated on them I'd be guilty of assault, battery and probably a sex crime.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 12:33:04 AM »
I think this story typifies how free speech has come to include "free destruction of property" for some segments of the protest bunch. If we as a society still allowed people to punch these kinds of whackos in the nose while they were commiting their acts, I think we'd see a big increase in POLITE and reasoned free speech.
ummm, the entire article concerns the fact that they are being charged with a crime in federal court. How is this indicate a "warping of free speech"? it looks to me like this has been very clearly defined as being outside the 1st and they are being dealt with accordingly. You seem quick to blame society for the acts of four idiots.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 04:57:18 AM »
How come it is that cops can haul your ass off to the pokey if you spit on them, citing something about attempted whatever, but this poor guy would have had the book thrown at him (from the civilian and military legal systems most likely) had he defended himself?  I just don't get it.  If it were me....well, my momma says I don't always use my better judgement.

Greg

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:26:45 AM »
The reason is this case further exemplifies the atrocious double standards under which we live. If you're a leftist you can do your evil act, because they agree with the ends, but if you're, not you're SOL.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 06:56:46 AM »
You seem quick to blame society for the acts of four idiots.
I said the story TYPIFIES the standards of certain segments of our society. It is an EXAMPLE of how protestors for certain causes feel it is their right to destroy property as part of "free speech". One has only to refer to G8 protests for further examples.

The fact that incidents like this are more commonplace now is indeed indicative of a general acceptance, or at least a turning of the head, of modern society. If someone would have walked into a recruiter's office 50 years ago and thrown blood on him, what do you think the immediate result would have been? Hint: a bunch of people would have been offering to buy the recruiter a beer, and there would be no fan club for the perpetrators of the crime, as there are with this one (or perhaps you missed the part of the story that said the courtroom was full of supporters for the criminals).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 06:58:12 AM »
Quote from: SpookyPistolero
The reason is this case further exemplifies the atrocious double standards under which we live. If you're a leftist you can do your evil act, because they agree with the ends, but if you're, not you're SOL.
Isn't this report a report of a trial?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 08:13:22 AM »
How about issuing recruiters M9's, or keeping an M16 behind the desk?

Seeing the gun would probably send most of these people running.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'