Author Topic: Russia calls dibbs on the ISS, too.  (Read 4210 times)

Neemi

• friend
Russia calls dibbs on the ISS, too.
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
Russia's nixed the US's $60 million rides to the space station. Please tell me we don't have anyone up there right now...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5714462/russia-will-cut-off-us-access-to-the-international-space-station-over

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Russia calls dibbs on the ISS, too.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »
That's not until 2020 according to the article, so if it ends up happening I imagine the crewed SpaceX Dragon capsules will be ready for us to use by then.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
I say cut it now.  Bring our people home and then let the Russian space program wither on the vine.  See if they can do anything without our money.  I can think of a lot of things $60,000,000 could do right here at home.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Looks like Obama achieved his goal of taking the USA down a peg by giving up - and actually celebrating - the loss of our manned spaceflight capability by retiring the shuttle fleet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:17 PM »
No great loss. 

NASA was right up there with WIC,  as far as waste of taxpayer dollars went.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
No great loss. 

NASA was right up there with WIC,  as far as waste of taxpayer dollars went.
No question that NASA has become corrupted by politics, but it still does some work to push back the frontiers of human knowledge. WIC hasn't accomplished anything more than facilitate the breeding of more WIC dependents.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
No question that NASA has become corrupted by politics, but it still does some work to push back the frontiers of human knowledge. WIC hasn't accomplished anything more than facilitate the breeding of more WIC dependents.

Think of where we might be if the same funding went towards privatizing space..

I'm not saying that NASA hasn't contributed mightily to our knowledge, just that they're a typical .gov bureaucracy.  What have they done for us in the past 2 decades the couldn't have been done better and more efficiently by encouraging the private sector?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
I say cut it now.  Bring our people home and then let the Russian space program wither on the vine.  See if they can do anything without our money.  I can think of a lot of things $60,000,000 could do right here at home.

Russia's space agency has an annual budget of $5.6 billion, do you really think that the loss of $60 million dollars will make it wither on the wine?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
I say cut it now.  Bring our people home and then let the Russian space program wither on the vine.  See if they can do anything without our money.  I can think of a lot of things $60,000,000 could do right here at home.

Russia's space program is superior to our own space program in terms of launch capacity. Hence why we buy rides from them, dude.

OUR space program is withering on the vines, not their's. SpaceX is our only practical solution at the moment.

Which is NSF's job. NASA should only be doing space and aeronautical research. Preferably stuff that has practical applications to actually being in space. LACKING A MANNED LAUNCH PLATFORM IS A PRETTY FRIGGIN BIG GAP IN THAT MISSION PROFILE. NASA is currently not planning manned Orion capacity until 2021. Thankfully someone sane in the US govt is shoveling a decent number of contracts at SpaceX for when Orion underdelivers and overruns budgets.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:53:42 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
Also, the 2020 end of service is really just a refusal to extend the ISS end-of-life, isn't it?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
Russia's space program is superior to our own space program in terms of launch capacity. Hence why we buy rides from them, dude.

OUR space program is withering on the vines, not their's. SpaceX is our only practical solution at the moment.

Sadly, while our government programs may still outpace the Ruskies in technological, engineering, and medical innovation, we have become slackards in exercising our abilities, all too often for political or "safety" reasons. If there is a 0.01% chance that something might go wrong, we all too often choose not to proceed. The Ruskies (and some other countries) have become better risk takers than us. I'm not sure if we'll ever go back to the "hold my beer and watch this" culture of the Apollo era.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
Sadly, while our government programs may still outpace the Ruskies in technological, engineering, and medical innovation, we have become slackards in exercising our abilities, all too often for political or "safety" reasons. If there is a 0.01% chance that something might go wrong, we all too often choose not to proceed. The Ruskies (and some other countries) have become better risk takers than us. I'm not sure if we'll ever go back to the "hold my beer and watch this" culture of the Apollo era.

And yet their safety record is better than our's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spaceflight-related_accidents_and_incidents

A blown up shuttle here and there and pretty soon you are talking real risk image management.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Really I think this is a good thing.

LEt us separate the two space programs and restart the space race.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »

I'm not entirely willing to accept the Soviet's word on how safe their space program was in the earlier days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
Yea they hid a few oopsys back in the day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
I'm not entirely willing to accept the Soviet's word on how safe their space program was in the earlier days.

Fine, take just the post-Soviet era. The gap will not become less pronounced.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Fine, take just the post-Soviet era. The gap will not become less pronounced.

Boris is correct. While I suspect there are some, but less than many believe. Most of the noteworthy Soviet accidents have now leaked or been declassified by either Russians, Americans or just random folks.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »
A blown up shuttle here and there and pretty soon you are talking real risk image management.
First shuttle was lost due to a poor management decision, influenced by politics. (They wanted to maintain launch schedule for political reasons.)

Second shuttle was lost due to a poor engineering decision, influenced by politics. (For political reasons NASA switched to a "green" foam insulation on the fuel tank, and stayed with it, even though NASA's own website covering previous launches indicated pieces were coming off.)

Note the common influence in both disasters.

And they are no longer hiring the best and the brightest. One of the trade journals I read had a letter from a NASA manager - he had an opening to hire someone, and was told that even though he could interview anyone he wanted, the person he hired would be a black woman. I've heard elsewhere that "diversity" was the new driving factor in NASA hiring, since the agency workforce was "too white."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
I guess Russia keeps politics out of their space program.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »

NASA making poor decisions? You could argue it's because their brass don't have the stones to tell hippies to shut their pie holes, or tell some feeble responsibility ducking politicians that no, we're NOT launching. Or engineers for not throwing down their tools and saying "You're not killing anyone today, you tosser!" Or whatever. At the end of the day, it was NASA's area of responsibility and it failed as an organization.

The solution is to hire someone very good to run NASA, give them the flexibility to make significant changes, and tell them to succeed or NASA is shut down.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
The solution is to hire someone very good to run NASA, give them the flexibility to make significant changes, and tell them to succeed or NASA is shut down.
Also maybe make sure their name ends in "-ov", "-chenko", "-vich", "-chev", or "-sky".

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
NASA making poor decisions? You could argue it's because their brass don't have the stones to tell hippies to shut their pie holes, or tell some feeble responsibility ducking politicians that no, we're NOT launching. Or engineers for not throwing down their tools and saying "You're not killing anyone today, you tosser!" Or whatever. At the end of the day, it was NASA's area of responsibility and it failed as an organization.

This.  
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
Also maybe make sure their name ends in "-ov", "-chenko", "-vich", "-chev", or "-sky".
Or maybe includes a "Von-"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Or maybe includes a "Von-"
The Germans did amazing things with rockets, but their program's safety record leaves a lot to be desired.  Especially when it comes to rocket construction and ground crew.