Author Topic: Russian Ambassador to Turkey Murdered  (Read 3312 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Russian Ambassador to Turkey Murdered
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 05:46:33 AM »
Why would Russia bomb Syria (more) when it was a Turkish police officer who killed the ambassador?

Rebel connection
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Russian Ambassador to Turkey Murdered
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 08:58:10 AM »
Turkey and Russia made friends, you're smoking if you think this is going to bring them to war or that the Russians are going to bomb anywhere other than Syria over it.

It's a bit more complex than that. The current strongman is friendly with Russia. Turkey historically and as a country isn't always. Remember that they are a NATO country and within living memory allowed us to stage strategic nuclear weapons there.

Or the minor fact that Turkey 'owns' bit under a hundred US nuclear warheads under the NATO nuke sharing program. They can't be armed without codes from the US, but they administratively own nuclear weapons without needing a domestic nuclear program and without some of the other downsides of having a nuclear weapons program. They get the latest US nuclear weapons, the B61.

Do concur that they'll use this against Syria. It does help their cause that the police officer made statements on tape that the assassination was over Russian involvement in Syria.

As for the folks saying we need to kick Turkey out of NATO, I'll remind everyone, Incirlik Air Base. It's been a strategic facility for sixty years.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought