Author Topic: Russian bank pulls out of Europe -- shares lose 95% of their value  (Read 1228 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The Ukrainian invasion caused run on assets and European regulators ordered branches closed on fears that the bank would collapse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/02/russias-sberbank-collapses-95percent-on-london-exchange-as-it-exits-europe.html

Share price collapse is happening with other Russian companies that are traded on European exchanges, too. Rosnef has lost nearly half its share value.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Russian bank pulls out of Europe -- shares lose 95% of their value
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »
I figured they would see significant losses, but wow. Losing 99.9% of your value in 60 days is... bad.

Seeing as how Russian industries and global interests seems to be taking a similar beating, I wonder how much their industry and financial leadership is leaning on Putin to cool his jets, or if they even can.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:21:41 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
Putin may be having his Ceaușescu moment soon.
What worriers me the most about that is what is he willing to take with him
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 10:19:18 AM »
Putin may be having his Ceaușescu moment soon.
What worriers me the most about that is what is he willing to take with him

Or who.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 10:21:26 AM »
Or who.

Brad

That was meant to be implied
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 10:23:32 AM »
I don't know much about the internal workings of the Russian government, but how loyal is the FSB (which succeeded the KGB, NKVD, etc.) to Putin? They could probably prolong his rule at gunpoint for a while. And can Putin - alone - launch a nuclear strike?

I remember there was some internal unrest when the Soviet Union fell and Boris Yeltsin got in - if I recall, the Red Army didn't do as they were told and smash the Russian people to protect the old order. The old KGB thug running things now probably purged everyone he felt he couldn't personally rely on.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 02:23:15 PM »
I don't know much about the internal workings of the Russian government, but how loyal is the FSB (which succeeded the KGB, NKVD, etc.) to Putin?

Semi-related:  https://www.foxnews.com/world/chechen-hit-squad-sent-murder-zelenskyy-eliminated

He said Ukrainian forces got intelligence about a planned attack on Zelenskyy and destroyed an elite Chechen unit.

"The special operation that was to be carried out directly by the Kadyrovites to eliminate our president is fully known to us today, and I can say that we received information from representatives of the FSB, who today have no desire to take part in this bloody war," he said.

There is a high probability that the Ukrainians are trying to mess with Putin's head, suggesting that the FSB is feeding them intel.  But i suppose it might be true ...

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 03:24:07 PM »
There is a high probability that the Ukrainians are trying to mess with Putin's head, suggesting that the FSB is feeding them intel.  But i suppose it might be true ...

My money is on both. Psyop is part and parcel with warfare. Insofar as FSB leaks, high-ranking officials are likely also deeply involved in global trade because, money. They're seeing a couple decades of spectacular capitalistic benefits being flushed down the туалет and are panicking. They want this over ASAP so they can get back to lavish dinners, expensive hookers, and trips to the Riviera.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »
Could also well be a splinter group in FSB that's NOT on board with this whole mess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 08:57:43 AM »
Russia and China have been increasingly using other forms of payment versus the US dollar.

I read that isolating Russia financially will accelerate that process potentially weakening the dollars position as the reserve currency of the world.

Just throwing this out there, I'm not really very knowledgeable on world economics. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 09:01:09 AM »
Russia and China have been increasingly using other forms of payment versus the US dollar.

I read that isolating Russia financially will accelerate that process potentially weakening the dollars position as the reserve currency of the world.

Just throwing this out there, I'm not really very knowledgeable on world economics.

In the larger scheme of things Russia isn't that big of an economy. GDP is smaller than S.Korea and I would imagine falling at this point.
Europe, and the US to some extent (sigh), allowing themselves despite repeated warnings to become depended on Russian oil and gas allows Russia to have more influence than they should.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:09:03 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 10:43:20 AM »
London's FTSE has suspended trading on nearly 30 Russian companies because their share prices have completely collapsed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/03/london-listed-russian-stocks-are-collapsing-with-trading-now-suspended.html

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 06:52:15 PM »
If you were the guy carrying Russia's version of "the football," and Putin asked for it with the intent of launching a preemptive strike, and...  you have a family and a 9mm in your holster...
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 08:50:26 PM »
If you were the guy carrying Russia's version of "the football," and Putin asked for it with the intent of launching a preemptive strike, and...  you have a family and a 9mm in your holster...

You'd hand him the football because Putin and his supporters in the room are the more immediate threat to you and your family.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
You'd hand him the football because Putin and his supporters in the room are the more immediate threat to you and your family.

And because only true believers get to the inner circle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 09:03:28 PM »

That, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 01:23:18 AM »

Sounds like the Trump administration
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2022, 09:00:24 AM »
Sounds like the Trump administration
I don't know about that, we can make a pretty long list of inner circle Trump folks who turned on him or failed to implement his policies.

That was one of the biggest complaints about him, he chose folks who weren't on board with MAGA.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2022, 09:16:08 AM »
I don't know about that, we can make a pretty long list of inner circle Trump folks who turned on him or failed to implement his policies.

That was one of the biggest complaints about him, he chose folks who weren't on board with MAGA.

Yup, that was one crappy set of "true believers".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 09:18:40 AM »

They were/are on board with Make Pockets Great Again while Putin follows the Hillary model to deal with that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 09:33:37 AM »
. . . Europe, and the US to some extent (sigh), allowing themselves despite repeated warnings to become depended on Russian oil and gas allows Russia to have more influence than they should.
With a great many politicians, bribes outweigh warnings.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
They were/are on board with Make Pockets Great Again while Putin follows the Hillary model to deal with that.
Everything is a grift and they are all grifters. Pretty depressing.