Author Topic: She's doing it to earn money for law school.  (Read 15478 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Re: She's doing it to earn money for law school.
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
Reality is far more objective than subjective.

Then you have no excuse for your foolishness.

Quote from: CAnnoneer
Quote from: Ron

Then you have no excuse for your foolishness.

Right back at you. Hehehe.

This exchange succinctly illustrates the point I tried to make in my last post (but did badly). Everyone believes that they have the truth.  Wink

Reality is far more objective than subjective.

Yes. True.

There are many opportunities for people to be technically, objectively, or logically wrong within the subspace of shared objective phenomena.

No argument from me here either.

There also are many opportunities for fallasies within the logical edifice in any subjective belief system, e.g. by clashes with objective phenomena or by internal inconsistencies.

Again, no argument. The opportunities for fallacies are always available in a subjective belief system. 

To dump everything into a model of parallel subjective realities or solipsism is a convenient but inaccurate simplification.

I did not communicate myself well in my previous post. I was not arguing for nor trying to "dump everything" into a model of parallel subjective realities or solipsism. A clearer way to communicate my point would be to say that eventually an impasse is reached because there appears to be parallel subjective realities because one's beliefs do not mesh with those of others. One set of beliefs in true, the others are not. Yet, it is extremely difficult to come to a consensus on which set of beliefs is true.

There is one objective reality. Yet, there is much disagreement on what is the objective reality. One side is right, the others are in error. Yet both believe they're right. It is here that parallel subjective realities appear to exist, even though in fact they do not. One side knows the truth and is factually based, the other is not. Eventually you reach a point where you try (and do) define what exactly is the objective reality. But even there a consensus on what is the definition of the one objective reality cannot be reached.

Everyone believes they're right and knows the truth.  Wink  Only one set of beliefs is actually true and objective. Nobody agrees though on what it is, and that is from where the appearance of subjective realities comes.

That is more the message I intended my previous post to convey. (Of course, it still probably doesn't make sense.)

(I better stop, I got way out of my league a long time ago and now seem to be just blabbering. Smiley)

Andy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
I thought Cosine was very thoughtful in reply.

I'm always glad to help the curious.   smiley

Quote from: Twycross
I dunno. With all this argument, intelligent as it may be, has it actually changed anybody's mind on anything?   laugh

Of course not. Such is not part of the reality of the nature of Internet forum debates.  Wink   cheesy
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2007, 02:40:13 AM »
This song always reminded me of my favorite stripper, mostly because she pronounced her name the same way but there was a bit of her in there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6rBTcSHbo

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2007, 03:41:57 AM »
My favorite part of that song is the line where he says "Death to America!  Allahu akbar!"

Nice arrangement, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2007, 04:04:05 AM »
Yea, too bad he turned out to be such a whatever he is now, he was a pretty big icon in the 70s...  rolleyes
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
"and if I ever loose my legs"
IT IS THE WILL OF ALLAH!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."