Author Topic: I love the History Channel  (Read 2471 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
I love the History Channel
« on: January 25, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »
Ferdinand Porsche, Volkswagon Beetle, electric cars, Thomas Edison, Adolf Hitler - postcard painter... all on one show and all intertwined.

Never knew any of this.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: I love the History Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:22:40 AM »
Yep, the VW was a nazi/sozie Model-T that was supposed to populate the autobahn system. The irony of it later becoming the hippie generation car is lost on many. Then again, they used to paint kubelwagen too. Hehehe.

Matt-man

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »
For anyone who loves airplanes, Dogfights is not to be missed!  There have been some cool episodes of Man, Moment, Machine too, like the one about the RF-8 Crusaders that did low-level photorecon flights during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:21:50 AM »
When I'm working in the shop, I ALWAYS have either the History Channel, or the Military Channel tuned in for background. Too often, I'll hear/see something and interrupt whatever project I'm working on and watch the program.

Rigorous it ain't, but I think they do try to get essential facts right. Great fun!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
Dogfights, Shootout, History Uncovered, and there are a few more that just kick butt
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
Must be Hitler day.  Three shows in a row covering Hitler.

BTW, did Hitler ever become a German citizen?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
Getting the History channel was one major motivation for getting Satellite TV last summer.

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
It ain't called The Hitler Channel for nothing. grin

Ferdinand Porsche, Volkswagon Beetle, electric cars, Thomas Edison, Adolf Hitler - postcard painter... all on one show and all intertwined.
For extra credit, show how Napoleon's drive for Empire is linked to the U.S. space program.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
just bear in mind that the History Channel is leading the way to change how we have established dates.  They are pushing for changing BC from "Before Christ's Birth" to  BCE (Before Common Era), and AD (Anno Domini), "After Christ' Birth", to some other meaning as well.
They are prominent in the world wide charge to diminish the importance of Christianity, and Western culture.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:31:47 PM »
BC stands for "Before Christ," while Anno Domini means "the year of our Lord."  I sympathize with those who don't want to date things from the birth of someone they don't worship, but the BCE, CE attempt is a pathetic farce.  The Common Era?  Please. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »
I love the Hitler Channel, its like crack cocaine! Dogfights, MMM, Modern Marvels, and the show about Lost Civilizations are my favorites.
Only time I turn it off is when Mega Movers is on. Nothing more boring than watching workers shimming I-beams under some huge object, jacking it up and putting it on semi-wheels. rolleyes
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 12:43:27 PM »
For extra credit, show how Napoleon's drive for Empire is linked to the U.S. space program.

Does it have anything to do with indoor plumbing?  Velcro?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 01:32:47 PM »
I think he's refering to how the wagon wheel track led to standards for the railroad track width, that led to limits on the the shuttles' dimensions. But the way I heard the story is that they traced it back to Roman wagons, since they had those road blocks with specific slits in the stone to allow a wagon to pass slowly. A form of ancient speed bump.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »
My desire to watch HC shows I've missed is what introduced me to torrents.

You can find nearly every ModernMarvels show, over 400 I believe, at least 350+ of them for sure.
Still trying to get the one on shooting ranges.

btw great episode guide for MM   Episode List
Click on the Guide button for descriptions of each show

I'll have to keep my eye out for the new Dogfights.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

slzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
last weeks episode where the guy in the sbd,who shoots down 3 zeros was real good. and,the old gentleman was there,recounting the fight practically in real time. the b17 story was good too,but history channels narrator said this crew would fly missions that no one else would. i am by no means doubting the courage of the crew,and the pilot and bombadier were awarded the MOH,but to follow history channels reasoning,ww2 in the pacific would have ended there if no one else would fly the mission.maybe they should just follow the story and not try to embellish as much.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »
Yep, the VW was a nazi/sozie Model-T that was supposed to populate the autobahn system. The irony of it later becoming the hippie generation car is lost on many. Then again, they used to paint kubelwagen too. Hehehe.

I remember somebody said "we bombed Germany, so Germany put wheels under 'em and sent 'em back."

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 04:40:08 PM »

BTW, did Hitler ever become a German citizen?

If he did, I never heard about it. And from what I understand, most folks don't even realize he was Austrian to begin with.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
26 feb 1932 is when he officially became a citizen,according to net sources. adolf seemed to be more interested in the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Hitler: Citizen of the World
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
Even if he never did it officially, after the anschluss of Austria, were they not both "Germany?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:23 AM »
BC stands for "Before Christ," while Anno Domini means "the year of our Lord."  I sympathize with those who don't want to date things from the birth of someone they don't worship, but the BCE, CE attempt is a pathetic farce.  The Common Era?  Please. 
I've often wondered why rabid anti-Christians want to change our traditional BC/AD dating to BCE/CE, since most people will just naturally figure the new abbreviations mean "Before Christian Era" and "Christian Era" or something of the sort.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 07:50:35 AM »
Hank, even if they know what it stands for, they're still dating everything from the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, just playing word games. 

If you call this the year 2007, you're using a Christian-influenced dating system.  If you don't want to do so, you'll have to number your years by some other system, yielding a different number.  Unless, of course, you can find something else significant in the year 0 A.D.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
My biggest problem with the Hitler Channel is that over the past year or so it's really turned into the ALIENS HAVE LANDED AND ARE EATING MY BRAIN!!! channel combined with the IT'S A VAST GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY OF THE JEWS, FREEMASONS, SKULL AND BONES, AND POPE!!! channel.

QUITE annoying.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
More denial that the Pope is part of an elaborate conspiracy to enslave us.   rolleyes  Sheople. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:11 AM »
Excellent.

As long as the 'tards believe that the Pope is behind all that is evil, we Methodists will continue to rule, undiscovered, and unhindered.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »
Gaa!  I just knew it was you guys all along!   angry  It explains the whole Bush presidency!  Methodists! 

So is the Pope acting on his own, or do you guys control him?