Author Topic: WHY COPS SHOOT GUYS WITH KNIVES  (Read 3034 times)

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: WHY COPS SHOOT GUYS WITH KNIVES
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 09:20:24 AM »
Yowzers...  shocked

Bet he won't make that mistake again.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 09:20:59 AM »
Obviously the thing for them to do is shoot the weapon out of their hands.  Short range shooting doesn't take any skill, only long range.
(only lightly paraphrased from an idiot classmate who KNOWS they are as right as they are Left).
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:54:40 AM »
I wish I hadn't seen that. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
There was a long thread at THR a while back about this. http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=182980&highlight=prison

The pics are no longer there, but they were once.
Andy

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »
I hope this resolves any doubts in people's minds that a good knife is a deadly weapon no matter how tough and well-trained they think they are. Best policy - tap, tap, tap, iterate as necessary.

fistful, weren't you in the military? What's with the squeamishness?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »
If it's got a weapon, my plan is to stop the threat without regard for the high cost of ammunition.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
If it's got a weapon, my plan is to stop the threat without regard for the high cost of ammunition.

Amen to that.

FWIW, I didn't get past the second of third photo. I can handle cleaning a fish or field dressing a deer, but needless to say this is totally different. I know a guy who witnessed some knife fights in Vietnam... he said the winner and loser were determined by who bled out first and those weren't five minutes apart. Somebody comes after me with a knife or sword, they ain't gettin' that close... three .45 slugs placed Mozambique comes to mind.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
fistful, weren't you in the military? What's with the squeamishness?

How would the military cure my squeamishness?  Despite being a recovering knife geek, cuts have always bothered me. 

I remain terrified of needles, also.  You should have seen me trying to IV my squad leader in my Combat Lifesaver course.   grin  Good thing he didn't really need it.  They passed me even though I kept sticking it through the vein.  Heck, you should see my drama queen antics when I get a shot. 

One of many reasons I got out. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »
Lots of people are more afraid of getting cut than shot. Thats' why bayonets are so good for crowd control.

Some knife guys I know tell me that this is actually pictures of a guy who got cut up in a prison fight. In any case, it's a pretty good demonstration of what a blade will do.

The guy is lucky he only got slahed, not stabbed.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 07:19:02 PM »
you should see my drama queen antics when I get a shot.   

Those anthrax shots are lots of fun  grin

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
Those anthrax shots are lots of fun 

My favorite was the rump shot you get, like having a lump of peanut butter under your skin. I would much rather take a bullet than what that poor cop got. At the very least they should all be issued tasers. They could have tasered knife wielding bad guy as well. But then if said bad guy had a negative reaction to getting tasered we would have to listen to "why did the police have to taser my boy".
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 11:13:44 PM »
Hated the anthrax series, especially because I was within months of retiring when I got the last booster.

The shot that really gave me grief was the series of gamma globulin injections I received early in my career, they gave them as a pre-deployment hedge against hepatitis when we still had Clark AB in the Phillipines.  Glockfan, that lump of peanut butter shot was probably the gamma globulin vaccination.

Damn, that felt like a mule or two just plain kicked you in the hip! Then you were supposed to rub the injection site to help disperse the lump of thick serum into the surrounding muscle tissue. Yeah, right!

As for guns vs. knives, I had (still have, really) a buddy who is a Nepalese Gurkha. I felt that there was no way a knife-wielder could ever get the drop on somebody packing heat, and let him know that.  He grabbed one of those rubber training knives, and I dropped the magazine/cleared my CCW Caspian Officer's ACP, then re-holstered it in my IWB Milt Sparks Summer Special.

He came at me from the legendary 21 feet that everybody talks about. 

Holy Schmidt!  By the time I cleared leather, he was making sashimi out of my kidneys. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"