Author Topic: Bank of America strikes again  (Read 2700 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Bank of America strikes again
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
This time, they vaporized customers' safe deposit boxes with no notice.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/07/26/safe-boxes-stolen-drilled/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Bank of America strikes again
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
I'm really glad I left BofA when I did. 

I also left them with $0.12 in a savings account.

For well over 5 years.

For which they sent mailed me a paper statement, every month.

After 5 years, they closed the account and mailed me a check for $0.12
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:59:04 AM »
I can't even being to tell you how much I despise BOA.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
I'm really glad I left BofA when I did. 

I also left them with $0.12 in a savings account.

For well over 5 years.

For which they sent mailed me a paper statement, every month.

After 5 years, they closed the account and mailed me a check for $0.12
I actually closed out my checking account with that.  I was surprised that they required two forms of picture ID to close out the account.  I couldn't drained it to $0.12 with one ID so I thought that was odd.  I would have been okay with them just mailing me a check, but that wasn't given as an option.  Of course, the teller did not like me using my concealed handgun license as my second ID.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
The only thing that will get anyone's attention over there is if someone goes to jail. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:00:28 PM »
Why anyone would do business with BofA or Chase* is beyond me.

* - Full Disclosure.  I recently opened up a checking account at Chase.  They offered a bonus of $300 if you opened the account and setup a direct deposit.  Which I did.  $25 to open, and I change my MoOOOOOOOO disability check to go to Chase.  It did, they deposited $300, and I promptly changed it back to USAA.

I left it open with $25 dollars for now, but I will probably close here soon.  I bet it will only be a year before they send me that offer again.... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 05:40:57 AM »
Why anyone would do business with BofA or Chase* is beyond me.

I'm in total agreement with this. I've had bad experiences with both.

With BofA: A box of blank checks was stolen from me. I went to the branch where I'd opened that account, told them what happened, and closed that account.
A month later I started getting notices from BofA stating that I owed them money because they cashed a check (forged, on the account I closed), and I didn't have sufficient funds (because I'd closed the account), so they considered it overdrawn. I went back & forth with them while late fees (for my closed account) skyrocketed. I finally contacted an exec who put an end to it. They sent me a $150 check as an apology, but I'll never do business with them again.

With Chase: They bought out a bank I'd been doing business with for years. One day I went in with a check for $1300. I wanted to deposit $300 and cash the rest. They told me no. According to them, my deposit had to be as much or more than the cash I wanted back. I asked to speak to the branch manager. He confirmed that weird policy. I told him to look at my accounts. He did, saw how money I had in them, and apologized profusely. I told him to close them, took all of my money out, walked across the street, and opened accounts with a credit union.

I haven't done business with banks ever since.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
I've done mainly peripheral business with Chase, mainly branded Visa cards, and haven't had any problems with them.

BOA on the other hand, I will never use. I've recounted here several times how long I had to fight them over my Dad's credit card account, their continuing to "lose" the paperwork I'd submit, and in my estimation, doing so only so draw the process out after the agreement claim limit so they could say "sorry, you didn't file a claim in time."

I didn't let that slide, and as they were once again denying my claim, I got a second letter from them with payment of the claim in full. Literally those two letters came on the same day.

They've tried to entice me many times in the years since...

Nope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
I think I have mentioned this before:  I used to have a home loan with Chase (it was sold to them).  The first statement I got has my last name misspelled.  After a few months, I called to ask that it be changed.  A month or so later, I got a letter saying I was wrong and they were using the correct spelling.  Attached to the letter was a copy of the loan paperwork showing the correct spelling and showing their letter was crap and whoever wrote it didn't even look at the paperwork.  This time I contacted them via an online submittal.  The next statement had the correct spelling. 

I can only assume they have a bunch of drones doing all the first level contacts that are not allowed to make any decisions or deviate from their script.  The second level is just there to say no and prevent anyone from getting to the 3rd level.  I think my company's IT group modeled their system after Chase.

All that said, I still have a Chase Visa and they seem to do a good job of catching account hacks.  I often get an email asking me to confirm one of the purchases was in fact mine.  Usually online stuff.  I don't know how much other companies do that. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
This time, they vaporized customers' safe deposit boxes with no notice.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/07/26/safe-boxes-stolen-drilled/
You know, one of these days they're going to do this to the wrong person, and the negative consequences will be severe.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
You know, one of these days they're going to do this to the wrong person, and the negative consequences will be severe.

Not sure if it's good or bad that Americans are so civilized as to take this kind of *expletive deleted*it without administering appropriate beat downs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »
The lesson here is to photograph everything in your safe deposit box.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
I went to BOA for an attorney escrow account.  Local entry level drones had no idea what that was or how to do it, so they created and registered a business in my name and opened a business account.  I don't think they had any comprehension the number of crimes they casual performed.  Thankfully it wasn't as hard to get the IRS to void the filing as I feared.  I still shake my head whenever I drive past one of their locations. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 05:10:23 PM »
I don't think they had any comprehension the number of crimes they casual performed. 
And if nobody was prosecuted, they'll probably continue to do so. Too bad they weren't dealing with someone like an officer of the court or a member of the bar whose duty it is to see the law is followed, eh?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
And if nobody was prosecuted, they'll probably continue to do so. Too bad they weren't dealing with someone like an officer of the court or a member of the bar whose duty it is to see the law is followed, eh?

As I'm primarily a defense attorney, my best interests might be a bit in the other direction...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
I have one credit card with Chase. They regularly send me no interest balance transfer offers, So every time I use another card for a large purchase I transfer it to the Chase card and take 6 months to a year to pay it off.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
So....
Ya gotta be a citizen to have a bank account but not to vote...
Got it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
I have a Chase MasterCard and they've actually been really nice to deal with. I had a Chase car loan and it was a giant Charlie Foxtrot. Different divisions, different personnel, systems, and methodologies, I supposed.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:07:13 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 01:20:15 AM »
The citizen question is federal law. You do not have to be a citizen to open a bank account but you have more questions to answer.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 04:35:38 AM »
The citizen question is federal law. You do not have to be a citizen to open a bank account but you have more questions to answer.

Don't you have to have a valid .gov issued ID to open a bank account ??  [he asks rhetorically...]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 06:34:01 AM »
I have one credit card with Chase. They regularly send me no interest balance transfer offers, So every time I use another card for a large purchase I transfer it to the Chase card and take 6 months to a year to pay it off.

What kind of transaction transfer fees are they charging you? Depending on the fee, it can really take a bite out of what you might save by getting a 0% rate.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
Don't you have to have a valid .gov issued ID to open a bank account ??  [he asks rhetorically...]

See California and issuing .gov IDs to non-citizens.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »
See California and issuing .gov IDs to non-citizens.

Illinois is doing the same, sadly.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
Illinois is doing the same, sadly.

I think most of the blue states are.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design