Author Topic: On the mid-size 9mm  (Read 1904 times)

dogmush

• friend
On the mid-size 9mm
« on: July 27, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
As my carry needs and priorities have progressed I've gone through many carry guns.  I went through the "OMG I might print if I do yoga so I need the smallest pistol possible!!" phase (NAA mini revolver), I went through the "F it, my neighborhood really is as bad as Fallujah" (it's not) (G17 with G30 BUG), I'm still in my 1911 phase sometimes (It's just so skinny and comfy to shoot).  and through all my phases I was always the one that my friends asked "What should I carry?" (Put the Deagle down and back away slowly).  I came to the conclusion that there's not one right answer, but a whole lot of the time the answer is some kind of mid-sized 9mm.

They tend to be small enough to carry comfortably, but large enough to shoot comfortably, and well.  They tend to have 15ish rounds, which with modern high quality 9mm jacketed hollow points is a significant amount of firepower, and a not insignificant jump over 8 or 9 .45's.  Mag capacity has become more important in my calculus as I read of more and more group attacks.  They can be used as home defense and carry if budget doesn't allow for a bunch of guns, and there is a bajillion midsized 9mm's, from quality makers, in the $500-$700 range, which I find a reasonable price for a quality firearm.

Along the way I started to collect this form factor of pistol through no real planning, just "I like this, so I'm buying it".  Yesterday I ran across an HK P30 on sale for $499 NIB, so I impulsed purchased it, took it home and threw it in the "9mm" section of the safe.  Then I took a closer look at that section and thought "huh, I really do like that form factor."

So, a family photo:

A keen observer will notice my preference for hammer-fired, and that one of those is more a notional firearm then actual at this point.  There's also most of a P228 around here somewhere that didn't make the photo.

I have other guns that I enjoy quite a bit, but for a jack of most trades pistol your 4(ish)" barreled 9mm works very very well.  They also tend to be fun and rewarding to shoot.

What say you guys?  You got any "go to" form factors for pistols?

(Now I have to go look for a P320/M18.  Gonna need one of those to practice on soon)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: On the mid-size 9mm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
I'll be that guy.

If someone asks the "I can only have one gun for HD and carry" question my answer each and every time is going to be a Glock 19, maybe a 26 if strong emphasis on carry.

It may not be everyone's favorite, and it's certainly not sexy, and especially these days there may well be options that supass it in one category or another. But IMO it's still the most well rounded does everything well and some things great option. Couple that with the ubiquitous parts, magazines, and holster availability in just about any and every gun store I've ever been in still makes it my winner for Mr. One Gun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:21 PM »
I don't see a single 1911 in that array.

???   ???   ???   ???
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
I don't see a single 1911 in that array.

???   ???   ???   ???

That's because that's the array of mid-sized 9's.  The 1911's get a different section of the safe. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
I don’t mean to be critical, but you did a crap job on your homemade Glock.

I agree with lupinus although I’d replace his 26 with a 43 or Shield.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
I don’t mean to be critical, but you did a crap job on your homemade Glock.

It's not actually built yet.  The slide is just sitting next to the empty, unfinished frame.  That's why I said one of the guns was more a "notional firearm".

Were I to finish it, with that amount of slide to frame gap, I probably wouldn't tell anyone. =D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
That's because that's the array of mid-sized 9's.  The 1911's get a different section of the safe. 

I would classify a Commander (which was originally a 9mm, and still available as such) as mid-sized. If that's too big for you, surely an Officers ACP or Defender would qualify.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm seriously eyeballing the Kahr CM series. My daily carry is a Ruger LCP because it's just so darned convenient but I would like something between that and my XD9. I want it for those days when a jacket or baggy clothing would allow the extra size but I don't want to deal with the weight or bulk of the XD. I keep wanting the CM40 because of the extra punch in the same size frame as the CM9. The downside is adding another caliber to the ammo list, something I'd rather not do from a storage and general more-crap-in-the-safe standpoint. Being a dedicated personal defense piece, though, firepower may trump lack of ammo storage.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
As my carry needs and priorities have progressed I've gone through many carry guns.  I went through the "OMG I might print if I do yoga so I need the smallest pistol possible!!" phase (NAA mini revolver),

LCP, quickly superseded, would not buy now

I went through the "F it, my neighborhood really is as bad as Fallujah" (it's not)

Bet my neighborhood is closer to it than yours.

(G17 with G30 BUG), I'm still in my 1911 phase sometimes (It's just so skinny and comfy to shoot).  and through all my phases I was always the one that my friends asked "What should I carry?" (Put the Deagle down and back away slowly).  I came to the conclusion that there's not one right answer, but a whole lot of the time the answer is some kind of mid-sized 9mm.

They tend to be small enough to carry comfortably, but large enough to shoot comfortably, and well.  They tend to have 15ish rounds, which with modern high quality 9mm jacketed hollow points is a significant amount of firepower, and a not insignificant jump over 8 or 9 .45's.  Mag capacity has become more important in my calculus as I read of more and more group attacks.  They can be used as home defense and carry if budget doesn't allow for a bunch of guns, and there is a bajillion midsized 9mm's, from quality makers, in the $500-$700 range, which I find a reasonable price for a quality firearm.

Along the way I started to collect this form factor of pistol through no real planning, just "I like this, so I'm buying it".  Yesterday I ran across an HK P30 on sale for $499 NIB, so I impulsed purchased it, took it home and threw it in the "9mm" section of the safe.  Then I took a closer look at that section and thought "huh, I really do like that form factor."

What say you guys?  You got any "go to" form factors for pistols?

We haven't had carry that long.  My practice is evolving, with carried size creeping up.  Let's see, over time, Makarov, Taurus 605, LCP, PF9, Charter Undercover, S&W 642, XDS 9 or 45.   Doubt I'd go back to the Mak, since the only one I have left is a .380.   G19 or XD subcompact (which is still a bigger and heavier gun than the supposedly equivalent Glock) on weekends, when I don't have to care about anyone spotting it.

Right now I'm being contrary, and have gone back to carrying my Taurus 605 snubby for a couple weeks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:09:10 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
The CM9 is more of a compact. I carry the PM9 version in summer, my wife carries a G43 and I have considered switching to same for mag interchangeability between us. Other times I carry a G23 but after 20 years with it I would actually prefer a G19.
My favorite mid size 9mm has become my 1911 commander with alloy frame. More accurately a Springfield Range Officer Champion.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
I would classify a Commander (which was originally a 9mm, and still available as such) as mid-sized. If that's too big for you, surely an Officers ACP or Defender would qualify.

My only Commander sized 1911 right now is .45.  You are, of course, correct that a 9mm Commander would fit in that collection very nicely.  I'll need to get on that.

I do have a frame, slide, barrel and small parts for a 4.25" barreled, 9mm 1911, but it didn't make the picture.  (mostly because I forgot about it until you mentioned it)  When it's built, It'll definitely be in the wheel. 

I've had that Glock kit for like 2 years, and I really want to get to it next, but there's some milling I had planned for the slide that keeps me putting it off.  Perhaps I'll slap it together this weekend to get it off the "to do" list and move on to other things. I have 4 or 5 project guns that I need to finish, but I keep getting distracted from by new things.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
One of the first things I'm doing when I move is buying a dope alloy 1911 in a Commander size and money is no object. I love my TRP and Combat Commander, but they can kind of tug on the belt sometimes in all day carry. For some reason I never notice it in colder weather clothing, but in warmer weather I often end up pulling out the Micro-Compact (or the LCR).

The second thing I'm doing is trading in the Glock 23 and Walther PPQ in .40 for a PPQ in 9MM. I'm just done with .40. Sometime I forget that PPQ is there when I carry it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
I have been carrying my Hudson H9 for the past week or two.  I really like the feel of it even though it is a bit heavy for daily carry.  When the lighter H9A hits the streets, I will get one if I can manage it.  It is a bit larger than the G19 form factor, but it has a 1911 style grip that just falls perfectly into my hand when pick it up.  I have high hopes for that company going forward.  

My next two favorites are my CZ P10C and my Rex Zero 1 Compact.  There are not many holsters available for the Rex Zero 1 so I don't carry it much, but is a very good shooter and not too heavy.  The Rex Zero 1 Compact may be sort of a Sig clone, but I like it and it shoots very well for me.  Sometimes I just prefer a hammer fired 9mm.  

I once had an HK P30 in 40 caliber that I acquired in a trade.  I ended up trading it away later.  If it has been in 9mm, I would likely still have it.  I have eyed the newer HK VP9, but I have not bought one.  I hear a lot of people like the new S&W M&P 9 compact.  I have definitely seen some attractive prices on them that makes me want to give one a try.  The full size M&P pistols I have tried just never fit me well so I am hesitant.  

There are so many 9mm hand guns in that G19 size range these days.  Seems like every company used to make police duty guns with concealed carry as an afterthought.  Then they suddenly started making concealed carry models a higher priority and not just single stack guns.  I like the change.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 03:23:40 PM »
One of the first things I'm doing when I move is buying a dope alloy 1911 in a Commander size and money is no object. I love my TRP and Combat Commander, but they can kind of tug on the belt sometimes in all day carry. For some reason I never notice it in colder weather clothing, but in warmer weather I often end up pulling out the Micro-Compact (or the LCR).

The second thing I'm doing is trading in the Glock 23 and Walther PPQ in .40 for a PPQ in 9MM. I'm just done with .40. Sometime I forget that PPQ is there when I carry it.
If you are not offended by a 1911 in 9mm, I would recommend looking at the Springfield EMP 4.  It is a nice shooting little gun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
One of the first things I'm doing when I move is buying a dope alloy 1911 in a Commander size and money is no object.

Both under 30 oz.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-range-officer-compact-45-acp/

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6711.html

Had no idea Ruger makes a lightweight Commander. I'll have to fondle one next time I'm at the boomstick shop.

If you are not offended by a 1911 in 9mm, I would recommend looking at the Springfield EMP 4.  It is a nice shooting little gun.  

Isn't it also available in .40? *edit to add*... yes, yes it is.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
My current lineup:

S&W Shield .40: Summertime carry, pocket carry in winter either as a backup to a full size pistol or alone

Beretta PX4 9x19mm Full Size:  OWB belt carry if the weather allows a concealing garment

Beretta 92FS:  My first pistol, purchased 21 years ago, mostly a safe queen now but gets some use in my Man Purse for hiking

H&K USP .45 Full Size:  Home defense w/M2 flashlight, also carried in my Man Purse for hiking

Imminent purchase:  Glock 22 Gen 2 that I sold to my buddy 18 years ago, he now wants to sell it back.  It will probably take the place of the PX4, making me wonder if I'll end up selling the PX4.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »
One of the first things I'm doing when I move is buying a dope alloy 1911 in a Commander size and money is no object.

I love my Dan Wesson Guardian.  Mine is .45, but it has caliber options.  It's a great handgun.  While not cheap, it's not an Ed Brown or Nighthawk either.  I have never regretted the money I spent on it.

It also has the correct barrel length, guide rod, and barrel bushing on it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
I love my Dan Wesson Guardian.  Mine is .45, but it has caliber options.  It's a great handgun.  While not cheap, it's not an Ed Brown or Nighthawk either.  I have never regretted the money I spent on it.

It also has the correct barrel length, guide rod, and barrel bushing on it.

I saw you mention the Dan Wesson somewhere else around here and I was going to ask you about it. I thought someone else here also had one of their 1911s and raved about it. I have heard they are very well built examples of the 1911 platform.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 07:33:25 PM »
I see the FNX 9 in the picture now that I can see it at home.  That is a very good handgun and one I need to take out and shoot again.  My FNX45 is my go to home defense handgun.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:45 PM »
I have a Springfield officers size in 9mm. Love that freaking gun. It’s what I used for IDPA when I was in Lubbock.

Stopped carrying it when I bought an SCCY.

Reason is if I have to shoot someone in Houston or Austin I don’t want to possibly loose a 900$ gun that would be hard to replace. If they keep the SCCY I’ll just go buy another one instead of fighting to get my Springfield back.

Same with my LCP I use for summer carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
I'll be that guy.

If someone asks the "I can only have one gun for HD and carry" question my answer each and every time is going to be a Glock 19, maybe a 26 if strong emphasis on carry.

It may not be everyone's favorite, and it's certainly not sexy, and especially these days there may well be options that supass it in one category or another. But IMO it's still the most well rounded does everything well and some things great option. Couple that with the ubiquitous parts, magazines, and holster availability in just about any and every gun store I've ever been in still makes it my winner for Mr. One Gun.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I wish to fully associate myself with the remarks offered by Mr. Lupinus.  I’m all in.  Well, except for a couple of 26’s, and a few 17’s.  To amplify on the ubiquity of support, there are many serviceable long guns, carbines and AR pistols that accept Glock mags, as well.  To ice the cake, it’s not unknown for Midway to sell 17-rd Magpul magazines for ten bucks apiece.  What other platform can you choose that offers “bet your life quality” double stack mags for a measly $10?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »
I wish to fully associate myself with the remarks offered by Mr. Lupinus.  I’m all in.  Well, except for a couple of 26’s, and a few 17’s.  To amplify on the ubiquity of support, there are many serviceable long guns, carbines and AR pistols that accept Glock mags, as well.  To ice the cake, it’s not unknown for Midway to sell 17-rd Magpul magazines for ten bucks apiece.  What other platform can you choose that offers “bet your life quality” double stack mags for a measly $10?

Me too. Holsters and mags can be found anywhere or everywhere with the G19. I've dicked around with so many different pistols that I decided to finally just buy what is most popular.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
Me too. Holsters and mags can be found anywhere or everywhere with the G19. I've dicked around with so many different pistols that I decided to finally just buy what is most popular.

I'll be a stick in the mud. I like Glocks, but I don't like shooting Glocks (at least first gen, which is the only one I own). Almost every other Tupperware gun feels more ergonomic to me than the Glock. That's just me, but I'm glad there are other choices, some nearly as ubiquitous, as the Glock.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
I'll be a stick in the mud. I like Glocks, but I don't like shooting Glocks (at least first gen, which is the only one I own). Almost every other Tupperware gun feels more ergonomic to me than the Glock. That's just me, but I'm glad there are other choices, some nearly as ubiquitous, as the Glock.

Right there with you. The more raked Luger-esque grip angle just doesn't point naturally for me. Handguns with the less raked 1911-ish grip angle work much better.

I can consistently tag paper plates at 5-7 yards when point-shooting with my XD or 1911. With a Glock, that paper plate is the only safe thing on the range.

Brad
-HankB