Author Topic: Harley Pan America  (Read 2737 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Harley Pan America
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
Concept art for the upcoming Harley Pan America. The fairing is butt-ugly and the muffler is a little clunky but the rest of the bike is a sexy beast in a dystopian outback kinda way.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MikeB

• friend
Re: Harley Pan America
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
That might be the first Harley I actually like.

Well I do like some of the old Police and Military ones too, but on a more historical basis. Mostly when I see a Harley it automatically translates in my head to Asshat on board wether it’s the modern I’m  pretending I’m a biker type or the actual outlaw types that can’t understand when they aren’t in an outlaw type establishment and have to be a tough guy when a little respect actually works both ways. And of course then there is the look how cool I am since my bike is so loud it causes hearing damage at at 1/4 mile alway types.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
And of course then there is the look how cool I am since my bike is so loud it causes hearing damage at at 1/4 mile alway types.

I thought that was all Harley riders. Seems that way around this neck 'o the woods.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
Careful with the broad brush strokes guys, I know several guys that ride Harleys and are neither posing nor asshats. A couple took me and my Honda out on some really nice rides when I was first starting out.

Don't let your curmudgeon badge turn you into an asshat.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
My son was actually showing me these this morning, which surprised me because he's a sport bike type of guy.  His latest though, is a Honda Africa Twin.  That's exactly the kind of bike HD needs to build to appeal to younger riders.  The 750 Street missed the mark in the USA, although I guess it's selling well overseas.

a little respect actually works both ways

Exactly.  I support anybody who rides on two wheels (or three) regardless of what they ride.  I've ridden with crotch rockets, sport bikes, and even those silly Spyders.  Yes, I own two Harleys, and wouldn't own any other brand.  And mine aren't loud, but they sound good to ME.  My idea of a perfect ride is a two lane highway cruising at the speed limit.  Cruising the boulevard revving up my engine is for the weekend "barhoppers".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
My son was actually showing me these this morning, which surprised me because he's a sport bike type of guy.  His latest though, is a Honda Africa Twin.  That's exactly the kind of bike HD needs to build to appeal to younger riders.  The 750 Street missed the mark in the USA, although I guess it's selling well overseas.

Exactly.  I support anybody who rides on two wheels (or three) regardless of what they ride.  I've ridden with crotch rockets, sport bikes, and even those silly Spyders.  Yes, I own two Harleys, and wouldn't own any other brand.  And mine aren't loud, but they sound good to ME.  My idea of a perfect ride is a two lane highway cruising at the speed limit.  Cruising the boulevard revving up my engine is for the weekend "barhoppers".
That is what popped in my head.  Having lunch in Fredericksburg, TX a few years back in an outdoor patio and the motorcycle guys that just left spend 5 minutes revving their engines before finally leaving.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
Careful with the broad brush strokes guys, I know several guys that ride Harleys and are neither posing nor asshats. A couple took me and my Honda out on some really nice rides when I was first starting out.

Don't let your curmudgeon badge turn you into an asshat.

I have friends like that too. Trust me though I’m not shy at all at stating the same reasons I stated earlier when they ask why I don’t own and won’t buy a Harley. Well and there is that whole broken down on the side of the road while people on BMW, Honda, Yamaha, etc. bikes ride by. Ok now I’m just being obnoxious, but some truth to that as well.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
I have friends like that too. Trust me though I’m not shy at all at stating the same reasons I stated earlier when they ask why I don’t own and won’t buy a Harley. Well and there is that whole broken down on the side of the road while people on BMW, Honda, Yamaha, etc. bikes ride by. Ok now I’m just being obnoxious, but some truth to that as well.
You might want to wander into an HD dealership someday and look.  Harleys have been reliable since the Evolution engine replaced the Shovelhead (in 1984).  Their build quality and fit and finish far surpass anybody's, including BMW.  And BMW has been having reliability problems as of late also.  My three Harleys have been dead-nuts reliable, and they are nowhere near new (1996, 1999 and 2001)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »
That might be the first Harley I actually like.

Well I do like some of the old Police and Military ones too, but on a more historical basis. Mostly when I see a Harley it automatically translates in my head to Asshat on board wether it’s the modern I’m  pretending I’m a biker type or the actual outlaw types that can’t understand when they aren’t in an outlaw type establishment and have to be a tough guy when a little respect actually works both ways. And of course then there is the look how cool I am since my bike is so loud it causes hearing damage at at 1/4 mile alway types.

What about these type of Harley riders? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMT9GP-vFK8
:P
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:18:00 PM »
Concept art for the upcoming Harley Pan America. The fairing is butt-ugly and the muffler is a little clunky but the rest of the bike is a sexy beast in a dystopian outback kinda way.

Brad

When did HD partner with Rokon?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »
Annnnd...it's still a (air cooled?)V-Twin....meh

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
I thought that was all Harley riders. Seems that way around this neck 'o the woods.

[popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:10:46 PM »
Annnnd...it's still a (air cooled?)V-Twin....meh

bob

Looks to be derived from the water cooled V-rod engine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
Looks to be derived from the water cooled V-rod engine.

And I think you are correct, another picture I found shows a radiator in the front.

bob

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »

Asshat here, owned the same Harley for 19 years, I love hearing these stories about how unreliable Harley's are.   [popcorn]

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »
I am a non-Harley rider who wants Harley to succeed. In my opinion HD is doing a criminally stupid job of succeeding in the 21st century. I love the Pan American and the Street fighter and hope they are wildly successful. They may be a day late and a dollar short however. I do not expect the electric offering to succeed at all unless the price point is extremely reasonable.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
I am a non-Harley rider also, but I don't care if the swim or sink. I am still pissed that they talked Reagan into slapping a tariff* onto bikes larger than 700cc being imported so they wouldn't face the onslaught from Japanese bikes. Now the shoe is on the other foot for H-D and they don't seem to care for it.

bob

*4.4% to 49.4% then rolling back over the next 4 years to 14.4% in 1984/5(?)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
That is seriously ugly.
It looks like they tried to imitate a mishmash of italian, german, and japanese styling and failed.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BobR

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
That is seriously ugly.
It looks like they tried to imitate a mishmash of italian, german, and japanese styling and failed.

I think about 99% of its ugliness comes from that square fairing. Other than that I kind of like it. I just wonder how many thousands of dollars the optional panniers and top case will be.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
I think about 99% of its ugliness comes from that square fairing. Other than that I kind of like it. I just wonder how many thousands of dollars the optional panniers and top case will be.

bob

Yes. It reminds me of the rectangular headlight fad, circa 1983 or so....

Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »

bob

Got to agree, but that's a whole lot of ugly squeezed in to one area.  The cut out in the windshield makes it look as if they forgot to add the square headlight.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
You might want to wander into an HD dealership someday and look.  Harleys have been reliable since the Evolution engine replaced the Shovelhead (in 1984).  Their build quality and fit and finish far surpass anybody's, including BMW.  And BMW has been having reliability problems as of late also.  My three Harleys have been dead-nuts reliable, and they are nowhere near new (1996, 1999 and 2001)

THAT.
I Bought a poorly maintained 98 dyna a few years ago for cheap. After I got all of the issues sorted out (just several hours of wrenching and a few hundred dollars worth of parts), its been completely reliable.

There are only a few actual points of failure on the evo and twincam drive trains- nylon oil scavenger gear and cheap cam bearing on the latest version of evos, and the cam chain tensioner on the twin cams- all relatively easy to fix or maintain in one's own garage.

Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
Doesn't dissuade me from the BMW or KTM I want. I kinda want. GS1200 but I looked at the 750 and completely different animal. Chain instead of shaft, transverse crank instead of boxer motor hmmm.

I don't get Harley really. An excuse for individuals to all wear identical clothes. But I don't hate them unless trying to get to work in the mountains. Holy slow. The rice bike kids, them I hate. They try to kill themselves and others in my neighborhood on the regular. BMW set, perfect bikers. They ride through sensibly, stay overnight and spend tourist money and cause zero problems.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
If I were getting a dual sport/ adventure bike these days it would be a hard choice between a Triumph Tiger 1200 or an Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally. I tend to move toward the less popular bikes.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
If I were getting a dual sport/ adventure bike these days it would be a hard choice between a Triumph Tiger 1200 or an Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally. I tend to move toward the less popular bikes.

bob

My problem with so many of the ADV bikes is the seat height.  I am 5'10" and my inseam is 32 inches floor to crotch (30" inseam in dress slacks).  Not being nearly as flexible as I was in my youth, I can no longer safely mount or dismount a bike with a 35 inch or so seat height.  I like to be able to get both feet down and I have a low seat on the Suzuki 2012 DL650 so I can do that. I have had unpleasant experience here in the Seattle area with the combination of high seats, wet or slick roadways and off-camber/sloping roadways at a stop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.