Author Topic: White House resident comes out of the closet  (Read 6327 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
White House resident comes out of the closet
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/2011/02/americas-gay-white-house.html

A news item by Agence Press France flew under the radar of many American news media. On February 25th it reported that “The White House on Friday named Jeremy Bernard to serve as social secretary to President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle Obama, the first male and first openly gay person to hold the position.”

OK, I really do know why the issue of sexual preference is the focus of all the attention regarding this appointment.  And I really do understand why both sides are tearing into this.  But I am seriously wondering just why the White House decided to make the sexual orientation the point of focus.

Anybody care to expound?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: White House resident comes out of the closet
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
Anybody care to expound?

Sure.  Who cares that a social secretary is gay?  Maybe it's being stereotypical and/or racist, but some occupations, plenty of other folks have a positive stereotype.  Japanese gardeners, gay interior designers, German engineers, Swedish models, etc. 

It's BS, but people are often inherently illogical and not always in a negative fashion.  Buddy of mine is gay.  Dude couldn't design you a coordinated living room if you threatened him with torture.  Landing gear for an aircraft, no problem.  Color matching?  Yea, not so much.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »
Am I the only one who is tired of people being defined who they are by what type of sex they have? 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:09:56 AM »
Buddy of mine is gay.  Dude couldn't design you a coordinated living room if you threatened him with torture.  Landing gear for an aircraft, no problem.  Color matching?  Yea, not so much.
Erm...

Matterhorn white
Polished chrome
Zinc chromate green
Flat black
Magnesium gray

???  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
It's BS, but people are often inherently illogical and not always in a negative fashion.  Buddy of mine is gay.  Dude couldn't design you a coordinated living room if you threatened him with torture.  Landing gear for an aircraft, no problem.  Color matching?  Yea, not so much.

"Put down the throw pillows, Bob, and no one will get hurt."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
You people are missing the real issue here. How can we be sure that is an actual gay man and not a C3PO protocol droid covered in silicone to look more human?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
Are you saying he's a fauxmosexual?

Realistically, though, it wouldn't be surprising if some designers and decorators were just pretending, to help their careers. A few fauxmosexuals in the White House could enhance Obama's cred with some voters, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
OK, I really do know why the issue of sexual preference is the focus of all the attention regarding this appointment.  And I really do understand why both sides are tearing into this.  But I am seriously wondering just why the White House decided to make the sexual orientation the point of focus.

Anybody care to expound?

Because, quite possibly, that's WHY he was selected.  Sending a message.

Personally, I don't care, but this is politics, you know.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
IMO, you will know when hiring gay (or insert your special category) people is no big deal when no one bothers to make note of it. 

Do you think we can get a reporter to ask the White House how many Irish people they have hired in the last 2 years?

I remember a radio comment last week about this.  The commenter was expounding on the great leaps and bounds made by gay people to break the stereotypes and the glass ceilings by getting one of their own hired as the social secretary.  I would try to repeat it better, but I can't do it justice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
But I am seriously wondering just why the White House decided to make the sexual orientation the point of focus.

Anybody care to expound?

Politics.  Publicity. 

I can picture Ronald Reagan having such in his White House, and not making anything of it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:51 AM »
Do you think we can get a reporter to ask the White House how many Irish people they have hired in the last 2 years?

Openly Irish, you mean.  Some guy with a carefully hidden Finnegan in his lineage doesn't count.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
Openly Irish, you mean.  Some guy with a carefully hidden Finnegan in his lineage doesn't count.

And, as long as people keep their Finnegans hidden, it makes no difference to me who they hire.   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
They make a big deal out of it because it gives them special interest steet cred. Gotta get the base fired up for 2012, after all. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
They make a big deal out of it because it gives them special interest steet cred. Gotta get the base fired up for 2012, after all. 
Which anyone with a brain ought to see as a back handed insult.  "Hey, we hired one of you people here at the White House.  We nicknamed him Token.  Vote for me!"
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
Which anyone with a brain ought to see as a back handed insult.  "Hey, we hired one of you people here at the White House.  We nicknamed him Token.  Vote for me!"

Even so, it does work. [shrug]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
Even so, it does work. [shrug]

That it does.  I work for a judge who has to run for his position every six years.  He made no bones about the fact that, when he hired me, he was going to use me and my background as election fodder.  It's a very conservative (Republican) county, so he played upon my military service, Eagle Scout, background as a prosecutor, married with children, etc. 

It is what it is, and for better or worse it's how the system runs.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
I do not care about their sexual preference.

I do care that they are not paying their taxes.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »
Am I the only one who is tired of people being defined who they are by what type of sex they have?

No...and quit calling me Hand some.