Author Topic: US Supreme Court rules in favor of Westboro  (Read 16242 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
US Supreme Court rules in favor of Westboro
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:20 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/02/134194491/high-court-rules-for-military-funeral-protesters?ft=1&f=1001

The US Supreme Court ruled today that Westboro is protected by the First Amendment for their protests at funerals.  I wonder if we will now see more of them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: US Supreme Court rules in favor of Westboro
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
As utterly despicable the Westboro Baptists are, I think this decision was probably inevitable.  Better in the end to preserve a freedom than to stomp it out just because there are some nutcakes around who wish to disrupt funerals for their own jackassed reasons.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
As utterly despicable the Westboro Baptists are, I think this decision was probably inevitable.  Better in the end to preserve a freedom than to stomp it out just because there are some nutcakes around who wish to disrupt funerals for their own jackassed reasons.

So it's better to preserve the freedom of nutcakes to disrupt funerals, even though nutcakes will use it to disrupt funerals? Brilliant!

There's nothing "free" about the "right" to yell mean things about the dead at funerals.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
I think they should be free to say whatever they want wherever they want.

I do, however, also think others should be free to voice their displeasure by physically removing them from the location, preferably covered in tar and feathers.

We used to understand social disapprobation and consequences. Now, we're "too civilized" to physically censor malefactors. We now face the results as malefactors are rewarded rather than punished.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
The westboro cult, as dispicable as they are, know what they are doing. They are lawyers after all.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
So it's better to preserve the freedom of nutcakes to disrupt funerals, even though nutcakes will use it to disrupt funerals? Brilliant!

No, it's better to protect the freedoms we hold dear, even if it means some nutballs will take advantage of it in ways we despise.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
No, it's better to protect the freedoms we hold dear, even if it means some nutballs will take advantage of it in ways we despise.

Brad

I understand the sentiment, but not the logic.

What right is there to disrupt a funeral? The right of free speech is not boundless.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:02 AM »
I think they should be free to say whatever they want wherever they want.

I do, however, also think others should be free to voice their displeasure by physically removing them from the location, preferably covered in tar and feathers.

We used to understand social disapprobation and consequences. Now, we're "too civilized" to physically censor malefactors. We now face the results as malefactors are rewarded rather than punished.

This

The problem will be solved when WBC quits successfully suing those who quit taking their *expletive deleted*it.

They fund themselves by suing people who do things to them.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
I understand the sentiment, but not the logic.

What right is there to disrupt a funeral? The right of free speech is not boundless.

But unfortunately its bounds do not include making people feel bad. There's no material harm.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »

There's nothing "free" about the "right" to yell mean things about the dead at funerals.

I was going to respond but this says what I was going to say:

Brad
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
But unfortunately its bounds do not include making people feel bad. There's no material harm.

Well hey, if they show up at your daughter's wedding next, good thing there is no material harm...

Seeing as how they've proven they can successfully run a lawsuit mill based on people responding to the intentional infliction of emotional distress when they are at their most vulnerable states, I expect to start seeing imitators.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
Unfortunately 'Freedom' means some people will use it to be jackholes whether we like it or not.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
Unfortunately 'Freedom' means some people will use it to be jackholes whether we like it or not.

Brad

No, it doesn't. It means we don't use the government against the jackholes.

It should also mean we don't use the government to protect the jackholes beyond defending their life. They should be met with rotten tomatoes and eggs everywhere they go or at least anytime they attempt to inflict emotional harm on private individuals.

OHHHH, but that's right, we reward the jackholes for being jackholes if anyone takes exception to their being jackholes. Cause we're "civilized".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:34:07 PM »

Brad

And you hold dear the freedom to loudly, publicly mock the dead at funerals to which you're not invited?  ???  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
How much do you want to bet if I started a God Hates N-words protest at some black people funerals I'd get arrested for a hate crime within 10 minutes.

Umm. . . I wonder what could they charge me with, a felony?
It's almost worth doing it to point out the hypocrisy. Almost

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 03:18:20 PM »
Matters like these are eventually settled extra-judicially.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
Matters like these are eventually settled extra-judicially.

Put up or shut up.  I'm tired of the veiled threats of violence...

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »

Brad
And the courts should remember that next time those jackholes sue someone, they should throw the case out and deny any claim to payment. 

It seems to me there is a double standard at times.  We can't keep them out of the cemeteries even if they are private.  We can't tell them to keep their distance for some reason.  We can't sue them for emotional distress even though it is exactly their intent to inflict it. 

As well, I think their INTENT is to inflict emotional distress and that should open them up for liability.  They can say whatever they want, but they chose the time and place for the express purpose of inflicting emotional harm on others.  IMO, that is not a free speech issue.  It wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the courts though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Put up or shut up.  I'm tired of the veiled threats of violence...

Chris

Honestly, it's my fear that because we do not pursue justice against people like this (and many other examples) and, in fact, use government censure against those who would appropriately respond to these people that violence may result.

People agree to give up vengeance and retribution to the government in expectation that justice will result. When the government no longer provides justice, people will eventually revert to vengeance and retribution.

This is why I am pushing for either judicial solutions (civil judgement that should have been upheld) or minimally violent solutions (tarring and feathering, throwing rotten fruit, etc...) that are also are government approved. We have neither and that is a dangerous thing. Of course, this is but a small part of the problem, but not an insignificant part.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
And the courts should remember that next time those jackholes sue someone, they should throw the case out and deny any claim to payment. 

It seems to me there is a double standard at times.  We can't keep them out of the cemeteries even if they are private.  We can't tell them to keep their distance for some reason.  We can't sue them for emotional distress even though it is exactly their intent to inflict it. 

As well, I think their INTENT is to inflict emotional distress and that should open them up for liability.  They can say whatever they want, but they chose the time and place for the express purpose of inflicting emotional harm on others.  IMO, that is not a free speech issue.  It wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the courts though.

And a hearty, "Hear, hear" to this.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
On other side of that, looking at the article, it sounds like there were some specifics of this particular case that eroded the claim.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:05:56 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
On other side of that, looking at the article, it sounds like there were some specifics of this particular case that eroded the claim. 

I disagree. Simply because they weren't seen during the funeral doesn't detract from their intentional infliction of emotional distress.

If someone libels you and you don't hear it, but only see it on video later, does that mitigate the libel?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »
Seeing as how they've proven they can successfully run a lawsuit mill based on people responding to the intentional infliction of emotional distress when they are at their most vulnerable states, I expect to start seeing imitators.

People respond to incentives, more or less.

Honestly, it's my fear that because we do not pursue justice against people like this (and many other examples) and, in fact, use government censure against those who would appropriately respond to these people that violence may result.

People agree to give up vengeance and retribution to the government in expectation that justice will result. When the government no longer provides justice, people will eventually revert to vengeance and retribution.

This is why I am pushing for either judicial solutions (civil judgement that should have been upheld) or minimally violent solutions (tarring and feathering, throwing rotten fruit, etc...) that are also are government approved. We have neither and that is a dangerous thing. Of course, this is but a small part of the problem, but not an insignificant part.

Ayup.  Toss into the mix the perception that the law system is a racket set up to hose regular folks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
I would cheer (and contribute to his defense even though I HATE drunks/drunk drivers) if a drunk accidentaly plowed through the whole mess of them killing them all and got off for not being in control of his own actions because of his disease (alcoholism).

Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
No threat made here.....but I am concerned that the next complaint lodged against the Westboro protesters will come at about 2000fps.....I hope the police are out in force at their next showing.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.