Author Topic: TSA plans random street electronic strip-searches with no probable cause  (Read 1704 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/03/02/docs-reveal-tsa-plan-to-body-scan-pedestrians-train-passengers/

Just walkin' down the street.

They backscatter you.  With roving vans and special cameras on telephone poles.

Quote from: from the article
In August of last year, Joe Reiss, the vice president of marketing of security contractor American Sciences & Engineering told me in an interview that the company had sold more than 500 of its backscatter x-ray vans to governments around the world, including some deployed in the U.S. Those vans are capable of scanning people, the inside of cars and even  the internals of some buildings while rolling down public streets.

It's like patting you down for your CCW randomly, without having a reason to do so.  Or stopping your wife and rummaging through her purse.

Pedestrians.

Attendees at city festivals.

Bus transfer stations, compelled disembarkation and compelled compliance with a VIPR team that corrals everyone and forces them to go through a search.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
GGGGGGRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
perfect time for clothing with messages to TSA that can only be seen on X-ray.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
perfect time for clothing with messages to TSA that can only be seen on X-ray.

Been around for a little bit now, RKL:

http://cargocollective.com/4thamendment

Oh, it'll get you felt up (well, it'll GUARANTEE that you get felt up, as opposed to the merely-good-chance that you'll get groped if you don't wear it) if you wear it through the Nude-O-Scope - but if they're going to be pulling this crap on the STREETS now? Might be time to invest in some 4th Amendment Wear for general everyday use.

I have to wonder what they'll do in places like VA, where it's perfectly legal to carry a weapon openly sans-permit, or concealed with a shall-issue permit?  If I were packing while walking down the street, got passed by one of these vans, and shortly thereafter were surrounded by multiple cops and frisked, I'm pretty sure there'd be hell to pay.  I cannot see how this isn't EXACTLY the same as using IR cameras sans-warrant on someone's house, a practice already deemed an unConstitutional invasion of privacy.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I'm beginning to wonder about the cumulative exposure to this kind of thing and, like, radar from street radar speed limit detectors.

I approached one the other day (no other traffic and I was below the limit) and it started flickering at me, picking me up from 2-250 yards away.

Got me to thinkin'.

Yeah, it's below the danger threshold for one exposure, but between that and radar-operated doors...

Jes' wonderin'.

I'm sure all the authoratays will tell you it's all harmless, but... 

...it's still cumulative. [tinfoil]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:58:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
I cannot see how this isn't EXACTLY the same as using IR cameras sans-warrant on someone's house, a practice already deemed an unConstitutional invasion of privacy.

I believe the justification is that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your house, but not in public.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I believe the justification is that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your house, but not in public.

No, I have a reasonable expectation I'm not going to be strip-searched, pretty much everywhere I go.

As I recall, officers need a warrant to search your car, as well, especially if you step outside of it and they can't use the "officer's safety" excuse.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends

You're kidding, right? :facepalm:

I ***ALWAYS*** have a reasonable expectation of privacy UNDER MY FREAKING CLOTHES!!! :mad: [ar15]

There are a select few people who have ANY business getting into or seeing under my clothes, for ANY reason.  My wife, pretty much at will, and my doctor when I go in for a checkup or to ask about a potential medical issue.  PERIOD.  Outside of that - get a damned warrant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
You're kidding, right?

He's not. It's just like the warrentless GPS tracking of your vehicle.

We have GOT to put a stop to this. Better to do it now, peacefully, ASAP. Unfortunately, the f***ing republicans aren't getting the message, they are just nodding and smiling and voting for the renewal of the "Patriot" Act.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!