Author Topic: AmTrak police chief: Can we get him to replace John Pistole?  (Read 1496 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
AmTrak police chief: Can we get him to replace John Pistole?
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/188504/2059127.aspx

Amtrak Police Chief John O’Connor said he first thought a blog posting about the incident was a joke. When he discovered that the TSA’s VIPR team did at least some of what the blog said, he was livid. He ordered the VIPR teams off Amtrak property, at least until a firm agreement can be drawn up to prevent the TSA from taking actions that the chief said were illegal and clearly contrary to Amtrak policy.

“When I saw it, I didn’t believe it was real,” O’Connor said. When it developed that the posting on an anti-TSA blog was not a joke, “I hit the ceiling.”

and:

O’Connor said he must take some of the blame because he did not more carefully observe what the VIPR teams were doing. He said the TSA had apologized repeatedly to him, but they must agree to firm restrictions before he will consider allowing them back on Amtrak property.

I contend that the airports and airlines need to take the same tact as this guy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Regolith

• friend
Re: AmTrak police chief: Can we get him to replace John Pistole?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
The cynic in me is saying that the only reason he's pissed is because the TSA is horning in on his domain.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:53:50 PM »
May haps, but I took Amtrak to KC last week.  The only "security" I saw was a "No Guns" sign on the doors of KC's Union Station.  :facepalm:

Nice way to travel, no security theater like the airport, able to get up and move around when I got tired of sitting.  Bathrooms bigger then on a plane also.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
The cynic in me is saying that the only reason he's pissed is because the TSA is horning in on his domain.

So?  I wouldn't care if he was being paid in hookers and blow to be pissed at the TSA.  Anyone who kicks the TSA in bureaucratic junk is worthy of praise. 

Guess I'll have to take a train ride somewhere. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
Cheap too.

Round trip Naperville, IL  (Western Suburb of Chicago) to Kansas City, MO. - $122.00

Can't fly or even drive for that.  Plus no responsibility once you get on.  Just sit back and relax.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:08:26 PM »
Cheap too.

Round trip Naperville, IL  (Western Suburb of Chicago) to Kansas City, MO. - $122.00

Can't fly or even drive for that.  Plus no responsibility once you get on.  Just sit back and relax.  ;)

It's usually very reasonable along a rail route.

Check out the prices for when you have to change trains, like to go from DC to Chicago. I can fly first class for that!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
It's usually very reasonable along a rail route.

Check out the prices for when you have to change trains, like to go from DC to Chicago. I can fly first class for that!

I went from Syracuse to Annandale VA (just south of DC) for something on the very close order of $120, with a train change in NYC (Penn Station).

Biggest problems IMO with train travel, is that if you need to go further than 600 miles or so, you're likely looking at a multiday trip, and that the rails don't go NEARLY everywhere one might want to go.  I can't spend more than a week just getting from the DC area to Los Angeles and back for a vacation, and the roomettes or family "bedrooms" range from $400-$1200 over and above the price of the tickets per leg (DC-Chicago, Chicago-LA, LA-Chicago, Chicago-DC - that's 4 legs).  Pretty pricy - yeah, the airplane is even more cramped, but you're not on it NEARLY as long.