Author Topic: GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL  (Read 3042 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397062,00.html

FOX News Cameraman Helps Rescue Injured Marine From Insurgent Blast in Afghanistan

A FOX News cameraman helped save the life of an injured Marine in Afghanistan  and was injured himself  when the armored Humvee convoy he was traveling in was struck by a roadside bomb Sunday night in the Helmand province, a Taliban stronghold.

Two U.S. Marines were badly injured when the improvised explosive device detonated near their convoy. Though FOX News cameraman Chris Jackson was injured in the blast, he went back to the burning vehicle to rescue one of the Marines.

"The cabin was on fire and I jumped out," said Jackson in a report filed immediately following the attack. "I went, grabbed the sergeant out of the shotgun seat, pulled him out."

While Jackson and the Marines assisted the injured sergeant, the heat inside the burning vehicle began to fire off the ammunition inside it.

"We checked him over; his leg was injured. We then carried him away behind a second armored Humvee because the ammunition from the first armored Humvee was cooking off and firing in all directions."

Helmand province, the site of the IED blast, is a hotbed of insurgent activity and the largest opium poppy growing area in the world.

The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit moved into the province's capital of Garmser in April to drive out the Taliban, and military officials say more than 400 insurgents have been killed so far in the campaign.

"For most of my Marines  about 25 out of the 45  this is their second or third deployment, and it's not their first IED strike, so we're pretty adept at handling them at this point," said Lt. John Branson, commander of the platoon that was struck by the IED. "But they can always get one over on us every once in a while."

Jackson, 35, a longtime freelancer for FOX News, has been with the Jerusalem bureau since 2007. He is traveling in Afghanistan with FOX News correspondent Oliver North on assignment for "War Stories with Ollie North," working on a documentary on the Special Forces. North is a retired Marine lieutenant colonel.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:22:25 AM »
Agreed. That man, Mr. Chris Jackson, deserves a medal.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »
Absolutely.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

doc2rn

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »
Agreed, he went above and beyond. Better than Herraldo!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:12:24 AM »
got a 100 bucks that says hes doesn't think its a big deal. the imbedded guys bond with units  you heatr em start to call it "my unit"  gotta kill the leftists
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »
If he worked for CNN he probably would have been fired.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »
the ammunition from the first armored Humvee was cooking off and firing in all directions

Would an M16 self-empty the mag that way?  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »
got a 100 bucks that says hes doesn't think its a big deal. the imbedded guys bond with units  you heatr em start to call it "my unit"  gotta kill the leftists

I agree with you but at the same time he does need to be recognized for what he did.  If that was a service member that did that they would be up for at least a Bronze Star w/ V device.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:15:23 AM »
Mr. Jackson still has not managed to reach the journalistic standards of "Gunga" Dan Rather.

If Jackson were a REAL journalist, he would have extricated himself and then photographed the sergeant getting killed.

Similar to the way Dan Rather admitted he would not tell the men in a US military unit they were about to walk into an ambush or IED.

From the perspective of actual (vs only properly papered) Americans, what Jackson did was courageous and deserving of note.

I bet the USMC acknowledges him.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:58 AM »
Anyone who would put his life before that of one of my beloved Marines is alright in my book.  That man would never have to buy his own beer around me or my crew!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 03:03:10 AM »
Anyone who would put his life before that of one of my beloved Marines is alright in my book.  That man would never have to buy his own beer around me or my crew!

You make a very valid point Jamis.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »

You make a very valid point Jamis.

I would surely love to tell him so (email or snail mail), but don't even know how to begin to find contact info.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 03:49:37 AM »
You might be able to contact him through Geraldo, through Fox.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:16:49 AM »
Wow!
Usually a camera man will sit by and film every bit of suffering they see.
Like they do over in the African villages.  "This poor child hasn't had anything to eat or drink in two weeks."  All the while sipping Aquafina and eating Hostess cakes.

Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:23:19 AM »
Wow!
Usually a camera man will sit by and film every bit of suffering they see.
Like they do over in the African villages.  "This poor child hasn't had anything to eat or drink in two weeks."  All the while sipping Aquafina and eating Hostess cakes.

Sam Kinison had the best tragi-comedy skit on that very subject.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton