Author Topic: I Guess I'll Have to Hold My Nose.....  (Read 3224 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
I Guess I'll Have to Hold My Nose.....
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:59 AM »
The recent SCOTUS ruling on Heller sort of drives home the importance of keeping the Libs out of the White House. As much as I CANNOT STAND McCain, I don't have much of a choice. angry
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: I Guess I'll Have to Hold My Nose.....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »
No kidding.  George W Bush's supreme court nominations are the only reason the constitution was affirmed today.

Much as I hate it, I think I have to vote against Obama and the people he'd try to pack the court with.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »
The recent SCOTUS ruling on Heller sort of drives home the importance of keeping the Libs out of the White House. As much as I CANNOT STAND McCain, I don't have much of a choice.
Agree 100 percent, 4 of the Justices wanted to eliminate the 2nd Amendment.  All they need is one more liberal Justice to accomplish everything the Liberals, Progressivies, Democrats and Communist want.

Obama is a sure way to get another Liberal judge on SCOTUS, if there is an opening in the coservative side of the court.  If there is an opening in the Liberal side we will get somebody as bad if not worse the the 4 there now.

Don't fotget about the Federal judges in the lower courts and the Appellate Courts.

cslinger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
God I hate to admit it but I was thinking the same thing.  I cannot stand Senator McCain but 5-4 was way to close for me.

Chris

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Would McCain put in people you agree with, when you don't agree with him?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »

As opposed to Obama?

Who do you THINK Obama would put in?

I'm sorry, you cannot write in an answer. It will be McCain or Obama who will choose the next justices. Choose.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:41:11 AM »

Two words:
Harriet Miers

And a big, fat +1 to MW's post.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
This isn't the election to prove a point

It's the election for damage control.  Trying to prove a point will ram us all up the arse when Obama gets in the white house.  McCain will screw things up and we can only hope for better next election.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 03:50:24 AM »
As much as I CANNOT STAND McCain, I don't have much of a choice. angry

Which is, as far as I can tell, exactly what the Republican party expects and hopes for.  It seems to me that the Republican party only cares about it's own interests.  "This is what we offer, take it or leave it."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
McCain just loves to reach across the isle.  He will not have a majority in the senate.  He may even face a 60 vote majority which will ensure complete domination by democrats.  If he wants to offer a nomination his natural inclination will be to cave to democrats demands and call it bipartisanship.  All this assumes McCain's heartfelt desire is constitutionally constrained justices.  I make no such assumption.  I assume McCain is a well-dressed statist and is not interested constitutional restraint.  His maverick schtik has too many years to be abandoned in a fit of principal.

To quote a number of great American philosophers:
"We are so screwed!"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
George W Bush's supreme court nominations are the only reason the constitution was affirmed today.

That bears repeating.  For all of the things President Bush has done that a lot of people may hates, the Justices he appointed saved the 2A for a little while longer.  Thank you Mr. President.

This isn't the election to prove a point

It's the election for damage control.  Trying to prove a point will ram us all up the arse when Obama gets in the white house.  McCain will screw things up and we can only hope for better next election.

That's not going to happen.  I'm voting for McCain to preserve a little bit more liberty for a little bit longer.  But suffer no illusion; If McCain gets elected, we will never get another Conservative Republican again.  Obama and McCain lead to the same place.   McCain's road will just take longer.  By electing McCain, we will be sending a message to the GOP.  And that message is that running as a liberal in the Republican party is how to get elected.  So we will get more of the same in 2012, 2016, 2020, and so forth.  It's still better than Obama.  But don't kid yourself into thinking there's a way out of this.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
Not necessarily.  If we can get decent republicans in the primary, as we had this year, and actually get them the nomination we have a chance.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
My biggest hope about McCain is that he picks a good VP.  As has been said this election is about damage control.  A lot of us are tired of President Bush and that is from us conservatives.  He has disappointed us on so may levels.  We need a President that will pick good Supreme Court Justices and not hurt Republicans any further. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
George W Bush's supreme court nominations are the only reason the constitution was affirmed today.
And remember how narrow the margins was . . .

And remember that Justice Stevens was appointed by Republican Gerald Ford.

And Justice Souter was appointed by Republican George H. W. Bush.

And Justice Kennedy (who did vote correctly this time, but often doesn't) was appointed by Republican Ronald Reagan.

A GOP President is no guarantee that we'll get a good appointee . . . but Obama will nominate someone who makes Ginsburg look like Ann Coulter in comparison.

AT BEST, McCain may nominate another Kennedy . . . if its as a replacement for Ginsburg or Stevens, that's a net gain . . . but don't expect a GREAT nomination; if you think about it, what are the odds that a President McCain would nominate the sort of justice who'd rule McCain-Feingold unconstitutional?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
It was at least partly McCain's efforts in the Senate that got a lot of Bush's judicial appointments passed.  That "gang of 14" stuff was a maneuver by McCain to get a bunch of Bush's appointments through (at least as I heard it).  Judicial nominations is probably the one area I think McCain might do the right thing.  I can't say that about other areas. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge