Author Topic: "Cars" - better every time  (Read 8003 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: "Cars" - better every time
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2007, 05:58:03 PM »
I don't suppose I need to mention Cowboy Bepop. Cowboy Bebop is so amazing, it doesn't belong in this thread.
I think you're right; that's why I'm not going to mention Cowboy Bebop either.   grin

Actually, I just started watching it.  Amazing artwork.

I kept seeing references to it in viewer reviews of Firefly, so I thought I'd try it.  Now I read Bebop reviews and see references to Firefly.   laugh

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 02:38:32 AM »
Ok Fistful, it's been a whole day and my curiosity is killing me. Why no horror movies? I can understand the Barbara Streisand aversion. But life without zombies is...is...waitaminnit, zombies are lifeless, sort of, so if life without zombies seems lifeless, is that a double negative which may be a positive...
Doggone it, answer me Fistful because I'm going off on tangents here.  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

zahc

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2007, 05:28:42 AM »
For a movie from 1982 that was referenced in the next two films in the series and been talked about endlessly in pop culture since then?   shocked

It's 25 years old. 

I'm 21 years old. I wasn't even alive when it was made. It was 12-15 years old before I could have been old enough to appreciate it. Unfortunately, I was unable to enjoy it without some ahole spoiling it for me. Your argument-from-age makes no sense unless you think people shouldn't be able to enjoy older content. Most of the music, much of the movies, and almost all of the books I read are older than I am.

There is a special place in hell for people that (especially intentionally) spoil things, right next to the child molesters and people that talk in theaters.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
zahc,

You can't expect everyone to keep silent about everything that happened before you were born.  That's ridiculous.  In essence, you're insisting no one in the world talk publically about any movie, television show or concert on the off chance someone, anyone, younger than they standing nearby hadn't seen it yet?

One of the down sides of coming along after things happen is everyone else knows about them but you.  Wrath of Kahn has been the subject of as much pop culture reference as any movie ever.  Hell, the next movie was titled "The Search for Spock".  Spock's death in the film was unexpected if you weren't a "fan" and read reviews and promo material and such but wasn't a "secret" even when the movie came out.

Argument from history, not age, is perfectly valid.  Should no one "spoil" the fact the Berlin Wall came down?  Or that Challenger exploded on takeoff?  Hey, guess what, the Eagles got back together for a tour in the 90's.  Things happened before you were born, other people want to talk about them, get over it.

"spoiler warnings" properly only exist in two circumstances.

1) the film is still in theatres during its first run - in this case it is reasonable to expect someone who might want to see it hasn't gotten there yet.

2) the film is fairly recent and absolutely hinges on a key plot point, like the Crying Game or Sixth Sense, even then, once it's been on video for a while it becomes a bit whiney to expect everyone else to go out of their way in not discussing it.

Wrath of Kahn is a quarter of a century old and yet all the ST fans of all ages have seen it.  You've had a decade to get around to it yourself.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 10:07:55 AM »
LadySmith,

I'm just squeamish is all.  When people are getting stabbed or slashed on screen, I literally avert my eyes until it's over.  I'm probably more put off by the way so many of those films too closely mirror reality.  Not in the details, of course, but just in the way that the bad guy goes around gleefully slashing people who lack the means or the guts to defend themselves.  Then when they finally stop him, they stand there and look at him until he gets back up and starts killing again.  For crying out loud, people, finish him off!  Not that that matters, of course, he always comes back from the grave. 

I especially hate the movies where pretty girls are cut up.  Disfiguring a beautiful woman is just something I don't like to contemplate.  It's like the feeling we get when a pile of "illegal guns" are destroyed - but worse.  I suppose that's terribly sexist of me. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »
In essence, you're insisting no one in the world talk publically about any movie, television show or concert on the off chance someone, anyone, younger than they standing nearby hadn't seen it yet?

I expect that people make an effort to courteous and provide warning. It's fairly simple to take a second and make sure you don't ruin something for someone, and that all members in the audience are consenting. I spend a lot of time on various message boards where people are rather good about this. In fact, not doing so is often a moddable offense.  It's simply good netiquette, maybe you missed the memo.

You didn't spoil anything for me. I'm concerned that you might spoil something for someone else.

Should no one "spoil" the fact the Berlin Wall came down?  Or that Challenger exploded on takeoff?  Hey, guess what, the Eagles got back together for a tour in the 90's.

Those things are completely different, more or less completely.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 04:07:40 PM »
In essence, you're insisting no one in the world talk publically about any movie, television show or concert on the off chance someone, anyone, younger than they standing nearby hadn't seen it yet?

I expect that people make an effort to courteous and provide warning. It's fairly simple to take a second and make sure you don't ruin something for someone, and that all members in the audience are consenting. I spend a lot of time on various message boards where people are rather good about this. In fact, not doing so is often a moddable offense.  It's simply good netiquette, maybe you missed the memo.

You didn't spoil anything for me. I'm concerned that you might spoil something for someone else.

Should no one "spoil" the fact the Berlin Wall came down?  Or that Challenger exploded on takeoff?  Hey, guess what, the Eagles got back together for a tour in the 90's.

Those things are completely different, more or less completely.

I guess I see a practical difficulty in not being able to discuss the end, which is often the good part, of every film in existence since the 1920's without typing "spoiler warning".  There has to realistically be a cut off.  Maybe not on a film board, but definitely on a free-wheeling general subjects board with constant pop culture references.

I will continue to assume (and believe that there is nothing rude about doing so) that a several year-old movie that has entered the culture no longer requires a warning.  At a certain point folks need to either avoid movie discussions or go and see the films they have an interest in rather than requiring the rest of us to go out of our way to avoid mentioning every possible movie plot point.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 04:20:02 PM »
I'm 21 years old. I wasn't even alive when it was made. It was 12-15 years old before I could have been old enough to appreciate it. Unfortunately, I was unable to enjoy it without some ahole spoiling it for me. Your argument-from-age makes no sense unless you think people shouldn't be able to enjoy older content. Most of the music, much of the movies, and almost all of the books I read are older than I am.

I am the same age as you, and I have seen the movie at least 4 or 5 times, including when I was probably 8, maybe younger. I can understand what you are saying, as I hate spoilers, but you must have led a sheltered life to have missed this movie. Cheesy
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
Can we at least agree not to reveal to any five-year-old members that Anta-say is not Eal-ray? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Fistful.
I'm probably more put off by the way so many of those films too closely mirror reality.

This brings to mind the many times I've heard about witnesses responding to bad happenings with, "But I didn't think it was real. I thought they were making a movie." Hmmm.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »
If you saw The Spirits Within and hated it, rest assured that everyone hated it.  Give FFVII: Advent Children a chance if you want to see some groundbreaking cgi.  For the "morally bankrupt": {torrent}

Addendum to that. I found it, watched 10 minutes of it, turned it off and returned it.

That was AWFUL. Like a crappy game cutscene, same jerky movements of limbs, same glass eyes and waxy, dead faces. In fact some OF the cutscenes from Squaresoft games were better! That was just...horrible.