Author Topic: Ring Tones  (Read 3425 times)

Waitone

• friend
Ring Tones
« on: March 16, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »
Ok, slow night.  What ringtones do you use.

My call alert ringtone is Johnny Paycheck's "Take this job and shove it"
My alarm clock ringtone is "reveille".

What do you use?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Ring Tones
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Well, IF I had one of those infernal devices, I'd use one of the following:

1. The Imperial March from Star Wars.

2. yIja'Qo' from STNG

3. O Fortuna by Carl Orff
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
What?  No Ride of the Valkyries? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
Yep!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:39:44 PM »

My hubris does not go quite that far.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:11:15 PM »
I use the official Universal Studios telephone ring as used in all detective shows and such through the 1960's and 70's. It's the authoritative RING! of a massive bakelite desk phone, which causes some puzzled looks. Plus it's so ingrained in people's mind from watching old shows on TVland and stuff.  grin

BTW, people who have pop music ringtones and leave their phone unattended to ring over and over? Smashing or defenestration of the phone is perfectly acceptable, IMO. If it's something like a "fitty cent" ringtone, just throw the owner out a window as well.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 01:58:40 AM »
I am a 21 year old that uses a proper ringing tone for my mobile phone. I am seen as something of an oddity amongst my peers, for not having an MP3 ringtone. I guess I just like having a phone that sounds like a phone.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »
I don't have one, either.  It's annoying as all hell, and I'd prefer that my phone just ring.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 05:37:25 AM »
I use "To the Colors" for my Army buddies and one of the ones that comes with the phone for everything else.

edit:  All work related numbers get "Taps."
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 06:55:17 AM »
Right now not using a cell phone for inbound calls due to being in Iraq.  Use it for outbound rarely and only for short period due to costing $2+ a minute.  I have Toby Keith's "American Soldier" loaded and used it when I was home.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
I use the official Universal Studios telephone ring as used in all detective shows and such through the 1960's and 70's. It's the authoritative RING! of a massive bakelite desk phone, which causes some puzzled looks. Plus it's so ingrained in people's mind from watching old shows on TVland and stuff.  grin

Treo?  That's a ringer that comes on the Treo, which is what I use (phone and ringer).  I hate ringtones that can be missed in a noisy environment.  I never miss mine. Smiley

Chris

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 07:10:46 AM »
Depends on the caller, for most people and numbers not in my cell I use and old style rotary phone ringer. My mother gets the theme from the exorcist, one dim-witted friend gets the oompa loompa song. Clients who's numbers I have stored get the intro to "Money" by pink floyd, and so on. If you have motorola phone tools (and a motorola phone with a mini usb jack) you can make anything you want into a ring tone.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 07:19:12 AM »
Nothing imaginitive here.

A friend uses the sound of a croaking frog.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 08:03:57 AM »
I have a part I cut from Mr Roboto (the part that begins "I've got a secret, I've been hiding, under my skin").  So far, out of dozens and dozens of people who have heard it, only about three have figured it out.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
Ringtones?

I have only one, and it'll wake the dead.  grin

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 08:19:02 AM »
Ringtones?

I have only one, and it'll wake the dead.  grin

So if you pick up that phone and yell in Russian or Farsi to whomever is on the other end, would that cause a problem?  grin

MattC

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Does anyone else fail to recognize their own ringtone sometimes due to almost always having it on vibrate?

And no dirty jokes about vibrating.  I simply find the noise of ringtones irritating.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 09:59:27 AM »
I have no need to announce my phone's presence with a litany of pop-culture or personal-strangeness ringtones.  Nothing but silence, a slight buzz, and a little falshing blue LED to let me know someone is calling.

I fail to see the fascination with having the strangest/newest ringtone and making sure that everyone knows it.  To me it reeks of a deep-seated insecurity.  Of course, many people fail to see my fascination with guns and photographic equipment (to which deep-seated need it speaks, I have no idea).  To each his own, I suppose.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
All I've ever wanted out of a ringtone is the "Tetris" theme, or at least the Aphex Twin version of it. But it's never supported on any of the phones I've used.
I'd be content if I could have one of the old-school rotary phone rings, but again not something I can get on this phone.  undecided
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »
I have no need to announce my phone's presence with a litany of pop-culture or personal-strangeness ringtones.  Nothing but silence, a slight buzz, and a little falshing blue LED to let me know someone is calling.

I fail to see the fascination with having the strangest/newest ringtone and making sure that everyone knows it.  To me it reeks of a deep-seated insecurity.  Of course, many people fail to see my fascination with guns and photographic equipment (to which deep-seated need it speaks, I have no idea).  To each his own, I suppose.
Brad

I don't walk around with my phone in my pocket or on my hip 24/7.  Sometimes, I even leave it in my bedroom upstairs when I'm downstairs.  A noticeable ringer means I will hear it (we don't use the house phone, cell only).  Also, my job more or less requires me to be on call 24/7 (Not as bad as it sounds), and I need a ringer that can wake me up.  I only use "vibrate" when I need to have the phone with me but silent (meetings, theater, etc).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »

Also, my job more or less requires me to be on call 24/7

Ick.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »
It sounds worse than it really is.  I get called much less than folks with normal on-call schedules.  The trade-off is a schedule flexible enough to work the hours I want to work and virtually no questions asked regarding time off, working from home, etc.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 01:33:22 PM »
And no dirty jokes about vibrating.

Aw, c'mon.  You wouldn't be the first to have called your vibrating pager on purpose... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Strings

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
My usual ringtone is the Foamy ringer: "Hey! Follow the sound of my voice, and kill whoever is holding the phone!". I NEVER mistake my ringer for someone else's!

Thinking of editing down to the chorus of RE: Your Brains, and using that for some of the folks I know. which is actually the beauty of all the special ringtones: I know without looking roughly who's calling...

HForrest

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 09:05:14 PM »
Most of the time, my Motorola is set to "Classic" or "Continental". I did buy "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs and "Hey Nineteen" by Steely Dan a while back, but I rarely use them.