Author Topic: Web-browsing trouble  (Read 4614 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Web-browsing trouble
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:55:57 AM »
I was trying to renew my subscription to Norton Anti-Virus, but when I click the button:

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat2/ec_Main.Entry17c?SID=27674&SP=10034&CID=0&PID=&PN=1&V1=1486679

I get a "Page cannot be displayed." 

This happens with a lot of web pages where I'm trying to pay my phone bill and what-not.  Could there be something wrong with my internet settings? 

Thanks
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Re: Web-browsing trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:14:33 AM »
Yes.    grin

Sorry, couldn't resist.  It depends on what browser and version you are using, as well as their security settings.
Let us know what you're using and maybe we can assist.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:30:32 AM »
My browser is Internet Explorer 6.0.

If I should be using some neato share-ware browser, let me know.   smiley

Or maybe I shouldn't bother renewing Norton, and go with something else instead? 

Iain

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 05:36:25 AM »
My browser is Internet Explorer 6.0.

If I should be using some neato share-ware browser, let me know.   smiley

Who is up for a bet? I predict at least two pages of 'USE FIREFOX!!!11'.

But really, try downloading firefox or Opera (my preference is for the latter, but only because I used it before I used firefox) and see if you can get to the pages you want.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
First thing is unless you enjoy paying for a program that slows your computer down considerably (Norton) I'd recommend this
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
Its free, uses very little system resources; and has a better record then the newer versions of Norton. As for the prediction of pages of posts recommending Firefox, it only makes sense. Its faster, more stable and more secure then IE. There's a reason that the US Air Force has a complete ban on IE7. Its junk. In the last week I've removed it from about 6 of my client's computers and connection problems they've had have disappeared. While you're on AVG's site I'd recommend getting their free spyware scanner as well
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5
Give them a shot and let us know. Cheers,
Shawn

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:40 AM »
USE FIREFOX  Tongue

Are you on dial-up? Sometimes you'll get that message on dial-up because most sites are geared towards high speed. If the request is taking longer than whatever they default to as "too long", you'll get that message. THis happens to me all the time when logging into secure sites when I'm at my folks' place, but when I plug back into a high speed connection, no problemo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »
Who is up for a bet? I predict at least two pages of 'USE FIREFOX!!!11'.

laugh Hahaha, yeah. I love my Firefox 2.0.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »
Another vote for AVG Free, as mentioned by Calumus. It works every bit as well as Norton, is free, and doesn't take over your system like some kind of face-sucking octopus. While I love Firefox and use it 95% of the time, I've found Internet Explorer more likely to work on more sites. Too many web developers develop their sites for use by IE and don't bother to check whether Firefox, Opera, or any of the others will function well on it. There are several sites that I have to use my "Open in IE" extension in Firefox to get working right.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »
Not once, in all the years I have used firefox, have I ever been unable to access a website (that hasn't been taken down). But that is just my personal experience.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
Too many web developers develop their sites for use by IE and don't bother to check whether Firefox, Opera, or any of the others will function well on it. There are several sites that I have to use my "Open in IE" extension in Firefox to get working right.

Every now and again I come across something that will only work right in IE. Bought an ebook the other day and the site didn't seem to want to work with Opera's integrated Adobe functions, went to IE and it downloaded fine.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
I just checked, your link works in IE7.  Notice that the page you link isn't secure, but the page after it (where it takes your CC info) is secured.  Probably your bill-pay sites are secured too, which leads me to think that it might be a problem with the way your copy of IE6 handles secure certificates.

I did a little googling for you, and found that this is one of the bugs Service Pack 1 for IE6 fixes:

"Internet Explorer also may not show a client certificate when you try to connect to a secure Web site after you are prompted for authentication by the secure site.... In some cases, you might receive a "Page cannot be displayed" error message when you try to connect to the secure Web site. "

You can download SP1 here.

I doubt that's the only patch IE6 has for certificate issues, so you might want to do some more googling.  Trying Windows Update will, unfortunately, probably hide all IE6 updates and try to bully you into upgrading to IE7 (which I recommend, but a lot of people don't.)

Edit: Errr, missed something--the patch I linked isn't actually SP1, it's a patch *for* a bug *in* SP1.  So you'll need IE6SP1 to use the patch.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 09:43:44 AM »
Another vote for AVG.  I put the free version on my mother's PC and my media machine, and I use purchased versions on my laptop and servers.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 11:19:26 AM »
Its already been said but, here it comes.
Get Firefox, and get AVG. Firefox has all kinds of cool extensions that I can no longer live without. Like "IE Tab", for those sites which don't want to work properly in Firefox (like some of my bill pay sites and my bank).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
I've been having a few problems with firefox 2.0.0.1 & .2 (Arbitrary shut downs of the program) However, I still prefer it over IE.

I'll also suggest AVG. Another good one is Avast! (Both are free for home use)
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »
Get Firefox, and get AVG. Firefox has all kinds of cool extensions that I can no longer live without. Like "IE Tab", for those sites which don't want to work properly in Firefox (like some of my bill pay sites and my bank).

I find Bork Bork Bork! to be useful for practical jokes  grin

In addition to Firefox, I also use Thunderbird, Open Office, AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Crap Cleaner.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

I find Bork Bork Bork! to be useful for practical jokes  grin
In addition to Firefox, I also use Thunderbird, Open Office, AVG, ZoneAlarm, and Crap Cleaner.
You can't do that with IE!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
Get FIREFOX! Bwahahaha

+1 on AVG.  I used to have access to Norton/Symantec Enterprise edition with updates for free, even on my personal machines.

After taking it off of one machine for some reason (which currently escapes me), just as a stop-gap for a day or two, I DL'd AVG. 

Lo and Behold, it immediately found and eliminated a nasty that NAV had completely missed, and is uses like 1/4 the resources that the Enterprise edition used.

Since then, despite access to high-falutin' corporate juggernaut virus killer, I use AVG on all my machines.
Haven't had a single complaint in over a year.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »
Thanks.  I'm downloading and saving Firefox 2 now.  Will look into AVG, too.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
Broadcasting to you live via Firefox.   

And the Norton page works now.  But I'm gonna go check out AVG.  smiley

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 08:40:41 PM »
Firefox is what IE7 aspired to be, and failed miserably.
Check out all the extensions which add increased functionality to the browser.

If you like FF, then you might want to try Thunderbird E-mail. It's way better than Outlook Express.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
Slow down, people.  Before long, you'll have me running "Lee-nux" on a Macintosh.   smiley

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »
Yeah, and they'll have me running Firefox 2.0 on my IBM workstation, as well as buying a PowerMac G4 and installing OS X Tiger.

(Oh, crap, it's already happened!) 

grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »
OK, OK, moving a little fast but, you just have to check out the 
20 Must have Firefox Extensions!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 09:53:33 AM »
I've downloaded AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware.  Should I un-install all my Norton stuff now? 

MattC

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »
fistful, uninstall the Norton.  You usually only want one anti-virus program installed to avoid software conflicts.

Does anyone know if AVG fully supports Vista 64-bit?