Author Topic: Brand Reputations: Acer and KDS  (Read 1018 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Brand Reputations: Acer and KDS
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
I finally got around to setting up another home PC after my old HP Pavilion died.   Its demise involved a great deal of frustration, 12 pellets of S&B 00B from a Mossberg 500, and bit of aluminum powder/potassium permanganate for good measure.  I'm hoping its violent end will deter my other electronic devices from mutiny.
With a little over $600, I picked up a 22" KDS LCD monitor (1680x1050 native resolution) and an Acer Aspire T180 with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 516 DDR2 SDRAM, 16x DVD+/- RW and 160GB RAM on Ebay. 

Before buying, I scoured the net and found little information on either.  The little I found was essentially positive so I made the purchase. I’m relieved to find they’re both functioning wonderfully so far, but I’m somewhat surprised that some of my buddies who feel they’re in-the-know never heard of KDS and very little of Acer.  Is there a reason why these aren’t more prevalent?

Does anyone here have any experience with either?  Both appear to be quality products.

Thanks in advance.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Re: Brand Reputations: Acer and KDS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:51:07 AM »
KDS and Acer both have been around a loooooong time in the computing world.  My first real windoz machine was an Acer DX-2, 50 megahertz machine with 4-gig HD in 1992.  I gave it to my SIL in 1997, and at last report, it still works. (never had a part replaced)  Acer typically markets to small and medium sized businesses.  I've used KDS for AutoCAD stations at a few places over the years and only had one go bad. After 2 years and 11 months.  They honored their three year warranty, even so far as to send a replacement monitor before I sent the other one back.

I've had good luck with both brands in the past, and my next laptop will probably be an Acer.

A word to the wise.... Stay away from HP/Compaq (or buy it at Costco, where you can take it back in 90 days when it falls apart)
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:43:55 AM »
Mom has a KDS flat panel 19" on her desk at home. It's a nice monitor.

I have a 22" Acer widescreen on my desk at work. It's a nice monitor.

No problems with either one so far.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 08:51:06 AM »
KDS has a good reputation for bang-for-the-buck monitors, and Acer has a great rep for cheap laptops.  I don't think I know anyone with an Acer desktop, but I'd still feel more confident in an Acer than an HP or Compaq or whatnot.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:09:13 AM »
I prefer "generic" clones for mission-critical PCs... I _hate_ fancy add-in stuff that basically will only cause incompatibility problems down the road. And Acer works for me.

Blog under construction

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:09:24 PM »
KDS, Acer both = value priced lines.  Usually very utilitarian, which I'm defining as shuts up and does its job without anything particularly wonderful OR terrible.

If I catch a sale on something with that nameplate on it, I'm not at all put off by them.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
I have a acer laptop.Bought used 9 yrs ago (wow!I'm getting old!)
It was about 2 years old when I bought it.Still chugging along! laugh
Also bought a Acer 17" CRT monitor than ran forever.Still have that as a
backup for the LCD.

Doug

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
I'm glad to hear both aren't generally known to be akin to garbage.
I'm also glad I didn't opt for a refurbished HP with a slower processor and less storage for the same price that I paid for my new-in-box Acer. 

Thanks for the information!

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 07:13:59 AM »
The first laptop I ever repaired was an Acer. It had a slide out keyboard with a ribbon cable that went bad. Repairing the cable was not easy. It took some special equipment that I just didn't have access to. I managed to find someone that had the equipment I needed and got it done. The laptop itself wasn't bad, just a bad design for the keyboard. I think this was late 93/94.

I have a KDS monitor, actually two of them. Both have been reliable for several years.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
I have an Acer 3000 laptop.  I have no complaints about the machine other than the standard battery, which only lasts for about 25 minutes fully charged.  Reviews on Circuit City's website indicated as much, so I can't say I didn't enter into the purchase aware of the shortcoming.  For $600 it was a great deal, as long as I'm always near AC power.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!