Author Topic: Hotter'n hell and bone dry.  (Read 2308 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Hotter'n hell and bone dry.
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
Relative humidity will be 7% this afternoon between 4 and 6PM MDT.

Seems like you'd have to drive half a mile 'til you bumped into a water molecule.

I remember getting lecture cylinders of CO2 labeled as being "Bone Dry."  I always thought that was funny, but it actually was a legitimate technically descriptive term.

Temp will be between 94 and 95 degrees in that time frame.

And the wind will puff up to about 20 MPH.  Ought to mummify pets and other small critters if you don't watch their water supply.

I was told that humidity that low used to make old furniture fall apart or start creaking badly because the animal glue would dry out.

According to TV programs I've seen, a lot of modern things are put together with modern glue.

Kind of makes me wonder how modern glues would fare... would  your car fall apart?  Will your aeroplane start creaking and getting loose in the joints?

Kind of makes your eyeballs feel gritty.

And nose-pickin'.  Don't get me started on nose-pickin'.

Does it affect musical instrument tuning?  Seems it ought to.

Well, at least your guns are less likely to rust.

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."  Screw you... it's gonna be friggen' hot.

Current for when you click on it:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:43:09 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Hotter'n hell and bone dry.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
It's a freaking swamp, here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »
"Freaking swamp."

Is that a legitimate technically descriptive term?

Numbers, man... numbers.

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin

=D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
95 and dry sounds nice. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 08:03:37 AM »
"Freaking swamp."

Is that a legitimate technically descriptive term?

Numbers, man... numbers.

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin

=D

My house is forecast for a high of 93 and 72% humidity today.  Freaking Swamp is an accurate enough term.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
Oh, I agree.  I just like quoting K and I was always amused at that "Bone Dry" spec.

Last vestige of moisture leaving Colorado by the northeast corner just before dawn this AM.  Light blobs top to bottom --Fort Collins-Greeley area; Boulder-Denver-Longmont area; Colorado Springs area; Pueblo area; tiny point off to the northwest of that is Canyon City, I think.

I wish Colorado's surfeit of Libcoms would follow those clouds.

(Couldn't resist the snark.)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:30:45 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »
95 and dry isn't too bad. I was talking to my dad this week and they've had 100+ for days and days in Central Cali. I used to hate that when I lived there, because the days also started out warm (often in the low 70s) so you were triple digits by noon. When it gets to the 90s here, it's not till like 4-5PM and humidity is usually in the 20s, and we still drop into the high 50s at night, which is nice.

Guess it's all about what you're accustomed to. People here complain all the time during the 30 or so days a year we get over 90 (God forbid we get 2-3 days that breach 100), but I consider it mild compared to where I have lived before, and will absolutely take the heat here, or even back in CA with low humidity over East coast heat+humidity.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »
I live on the Texas Gulf Coast.  I didn't know humidity went that low. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
95 and dry with a light breeze is considered a pretty summer day in Lubbock. Forecast for Saturday-Monday is 105-108 deg F with a dry southwest wind. Red Flag fire weather for sure.

Luckily we'll be in Woodland Park, CO, where it's supposed to be 85 and partly cloudy with a slight breeze and a chance of afternoon showers.  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
95 and dry with a light breeze is considered a pretty summer day in Lubbock. Forecast for Saturday-Monday is 105-108 deg F with a dry southwest wind.

A funny aside on what is considered hot or not: I get my weather from weather.gov. Where my dad lives, you only get the "sky on fire hot" graphic on days that break 100. Here you get it on days that break 90. On the other hand, around the end of SEP, the weather service here gives like one or two warnings about hard freezes, then gives a little blurb about, "This is your last warning. It's gonna freeze every night, so get use to it." Where my dad is, they'll start announcing a single day of potential hard freeze days in advance with all kinds of ZOMG! warnings.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »

A couple years back we had a day that hit 112 and the RH was 1%. You didn't have to worry about drying off after showering.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 10:03:29 AM »
I was in colorado for the holiday.

The weather was wonderful.  In Kansas City our dewpoints have been hovering around 70F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 11:04:23 AM »
"Is that a legitimate technically descriptive term?"

If you live in metro Washington, DC, yes it is.

Right now it's 86 with 59% relative humidity, which is kind of dry for this area.

There's a reason why, in the days before air conditioning became common, that many European nations considered a diplomatic posting to Washington, DC, to be a tropical posting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 12:58:47 PM »
We've been in the mid 90's here in W. Michigan with humidity btwn 50-60%.  It's not pleasant outside.  But I'm not complaining because of our 9 months of winter and no sun.  I think my electric bill will be in the mid $200s.  But my gas bill will be negligible...so it balances out.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »
Current conditions:

90° RealFeel® 102°
UV Index: 10 Very High
Wind: S at 6 mph
Wind Gusts: 8 mph
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 75° F
Pressure: 29.95 inHg
Cloud Cover: 32%
Visibility: 20 mi
Indoor Humidity: 62% (Extremely Humid)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »
Humidity is actually dropping into the 40s here. It might be halfway pleasant in the shade this evening.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 02:51:50 PM »
I've experienced 141° with no humidity and 115° with all of it.  Both can stuff it.  :P

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
Where was the temp 141°?  Just curious.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
Current conditions:

90° RealFeel® 102°
UV Index: 10 Very High
Wind: S at 6 mph
Wind Gusts: 8 mph
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 75° F
Pressure: 29.95 inHg
Cloud Cover: 32%
Visibility: 20 mi
Indoor Humidity: 62% (Extremely Humid)

That's pretty nasty.  A dewpoint of 75 is absolutely miserable.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
Humidity is actually dropping into the 40s here. It might be halfway pleasant in the shade this evening.

I wouldn't count on it. 

Humidity is only subsiding very slightly, the drop in RH is due mostly to dry bulb temperatures increasing.  I don't know exactly where you are but the Dp looks to still be 70+ in the DC region this evening.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 03:16:52 PM »
Where was the temp 141°?  Just curious.

HMMWV.  Kuwaiti desert.  July.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »
That's pretty nasty.  A dewpoint of 75 is absolutely miserable.

Yes, yes it is.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 04:30:11 PM »
I wouldn't count on it. 

Humidity is only subsiding very slightly, the drop in RH is due mostly to dry bulb temperatures increasing.  I don't know exactly where you are but the Dp looks to still be 70+ in the DC region this evening.

Yeah, I just went out for a smoke... It's not going to be pleasant. Humidity level is increasing, as is the overall temperature. I'm in Fairfax/Oakton right now.

And, where I was thinking about walking Seren this evening is a park trail beside a creek, with lots of surrounding swampy ground, and full ground and sky cover, meaning the humidity levels there are a LOT higher. We walked there last night and yeah, it was humid as balls, but it was relatively temperate feeling.

Right now? No. Nasty.

She got a longer walk early this morning, she'll get a relatively short walk when we get home this evening, and we'll do our longer evening walk (which we usually do when we get home and before dinner) after dinner when the sun goes down.

Monday when I was coming home from a friend's place it was swampy balls humid, and I had a very interesting thing happen...

I was running on I-95 with full AC for quite awhile (gotta keep Seren comfortable). I rolled down my window to knock the coal off the end of my cigarette and when I stuck my arm out the window to do so, I actually had water condensing on my arm. Never had that happen before.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »

As I said, don't get me started on the nose-pickin'.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
I would take the dry heat. Kinda swampy here and I have been welding 3/4" aluminum plate so I am spending a good bit of the day in a hooded sweatshirt because that is cooler than standing next to the handheld sun without it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.