Author Topic: It is getting Ugly in Greece....  (Read 27875 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: It is getting Ugly in Greece....
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
The 1990's were a period of relatively low government intervention, yet the tech boom gave us one of the best periods of economic growth in the 20th century. There was also the "peace dividend" from the collapse of the USSR that helped keep spending down, but which later raised the cost of government.

I can't think of a time when big government spending coincided with a booming economy. If you want to cite WWII, go ahead, but it was borrowed money fueling the economy. Not the same thing.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
BTW.......how are things in Greece?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
Quiet before the storm.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
The 1990's were a period of relatively low government intervention, yet the tech boom gave us one of the best periods of economic growth in the 20th century. There was also the "peace dividend" from the collapse of the USSR that helped keep spending down, but which later raised the cost of government.

I can't think of a time when big government spending coincided with a booming economy. If you want to cite WWII, go ahead, but it was borrowed money fueling the economy. Not the same thing.
Booming economy led to increased tax revenue plus reduced defense spending allowed increases elsewhere. 

Didn't the same thing happen in the 80's?  Tax revenue doubled over about 6 or 8 years and govt spending went up accordingly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
Booming economy led to increased tax revenue plus reduced defense spending allowed increases elsewhere. 

Yes, and the boom was largely due to the explosion of the PC market and the internet, with sales of hardware and software driving it, and the government had nothing to do with it  (except for Al Gore, of course). The best thing that can be said for Bill Clinton is that he didn't get in the way too much.

The reductions in defense spending, while helping spur the economy, bit us in the butt later in the Middle East. It's a classic pattern for all nations: draw down the military, and find yourself at war a few years later with an aggressor who thinks you're weak.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
BTW.......how are things in Greece?......
Just peachy! They are getting ready for another 5 years of spending!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »

The '60s?  NASA?  There is always some dividend from big spending--whether on war materiel or getting to the moon--the question is how much a dividend for how much outlay, no?  And what are the unforeseen and unintended consequences?   For the benefits we get from government "investment" we might have gotten far more from non-investment and non-control, letting the private sector thrive by itself.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.