Author Topic: Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...  (Read 56803 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2009, 12:40:20 PM »
I just make sure the flashing light on the drive stops flashing before I pull it out; it's worked alright for me so far.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »
Lost two flash drives that way.

Interesting result, FS.  I lost a drive once, but that was in a Windows 2000 client machine. It was wiped clean when I pulled it out.  And that was after first stopping it correctly.
And I had a Windows 2000 Server hiccup once, too, come to think of it, when I failed to tell it I was pulling the drive.  Had to reboot that one.

So far I have not lost anything in a Windows XP machine just pulling drives out.  I have gotten a "delayed write / data might have been lost" error a time or two, even though I had waited for the flashy thingy to stop flashing.  No damage to the drive in either case, just had to re-save what little data that was lost.
But I have never lost a drive or had to reboot a box that I remember.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.