Author Topic: Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...  (Read 56804 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Firefox 3.5.1
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 09:08:20 AM »
The other bad thing about 3.0 is that with no rhyme or reason some https sites are saved in the location bar with the login string showing your username and password to the site. It does this with my webmail access to my work email all the time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »
I downloaded it this morning.

So far, meh. More of the same.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
Fistful's never-ending computer Q&A thread...
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
Yep, look at both boards to see if they are the same. If so shouldn't be any problem.

From what I remember when I was working on them the first thing India tech would do was send out a new mobo. It never fixed any of the ones I was asked to install them in. But I never got to diagnose the problem to start with. Just got the computer and box with the new mobo in it after the customer looked and decided they shouldn't be messing with it. At least none of my customers ever tore the whole thing down and brought it all in in a box. I'm sure some of you guys have had that happen.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
One thing that will happen:

While your replacement mobo may have all the exact same chipsets for video/LAN/sound and all the other stuff, each of those individual chips are unique to the windows driver database.

You can't swap out one device with the exact same model of another device without Windows noticing that and uninstalling/reinstalling the driver.

So... your computer will boot to a low resolution screen when you swap the board and you won't have internet access or sound either.  Once you log in to the computer it will start re-installing the exact same drivers and rebooting over and over again with your guidance.

Nothing to worry about, but that's what's most likely to happen.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2009, 11:29:10 AM »
One thing to watch for is the disk controller. Windows may not boot if it's an unusal driver.

However, one of the disks Dell sent you should take care of that. You just need to be sure the DVD/CD-ROM drive is bootable from the BIOS.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
One thing to watch for is the disk controller. Windows may not boot if it's an unusal driver.

However, one of the disks Dell sent you should take care of that. You just need to be sure the DVD/CD-ROM drive is bootable from the BIOS.

+1.  The disk driver will temporarily unload as the north and south bridge chipset drivers are loaded and reloaded.

Unlikely that a Dell desktop MoBo will be affected by this, though.  More likely to be a server motherboard with problems like that.

Keep away from any of the Dell provided disks in the beginning, unless you find you need a driver after Windows does its thing.  Remember, it already HAS all the drivers, it just has to unload and reload each of them since the hardware ID's have changed on some of the chipsets.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
I thought it would be pretty straightforward, until I saw the three disks of drivers, diagnostics and utilities they shipped with it. What sort of issues should I expect?

It's it's the same board, itshould be a dropin replacement, no funky drivers needed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Such as?  I hate that too, just not as much as you do, I guess. 

Not quite as much as I do, if you still use any 3.xx version.

Look for the "Old Bar" add-in
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
I'm using it right now with no complaints.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Does Firefox transfer your add-ons, plug-ins and settings from the old version, when you upgrade? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Does Firefox transfer your add-ons, plug-ins and settings from the old version, when you upgrade? 

upgrades are seamless

every once in a while an obscure plug in isn't compatible, very very rare.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 11:31:05 PM »
Quote from: Ben
The other bad thing about 3.0 is that with no rhyme or reason some https sites are saved in the location bar with the login string showing your username and password to the site. It does this with my webmail access to my work email all the time.
What site?  Sounds like a horribly coded website, not the fault of firefox.  There should never be forms submitting logins and passwords via GET.

To all you FF 2.x holdouts: Please note the yellow box at the top of this link.  If you don't like 3.5 (have you even tried it?), switch to chrome or safari or opera or even (gasp) IE8, but please don't keep using old insecure browser versions.  You are going to get a malware infestation, if you haven't already.  I don't think anyone is actively cataloging FF 2.x vulnerabilities anymore.

FF 3.5.0 has a critical security vulnerability.  Any 3.5 beta or 3.5.0 browsers need to be upgraded to 3.5.1.

I know it's a PITA to keep up to date, but this thing will do all the checking for you, and tells you what you need to fix.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:35:27 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
What site?  Sounds like a horribly coded website, not the fault of firefox.  There should never be forms submitting logins and passwords via GET.

It's a Federal govt. website. Does that answer the "horribly coded" question?  :laugh:

Though this never happened with Firefox 2.x and it never happens with Exploder, only with Firefox 3.0.x
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
It's a Federal govt. website. Does that answer the "horribly coded" question?  :laugh:

Though this never happened with Firefox 2.x and it never happens with Exploder, only with Firefox 3.0.x

Is it an HTTP login like this?

http://username:password@www.website.gov/foo/bar/

or a GET login like this?

http://www.website.gov/?user=username&pass=password
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:16 AM »

It would appear so. After my brief trial with version 3.something, I reinstalled version 2.0.0.18 and was informed that the Old Bar add-on would not function -- so it knew it was there, just didn't know what to do with it (naturally, since it didn't need it).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
CNYCatcher -- looks like this in the saved links in the location bar dropdown:

https://mail.x.x.gov/login.msc?user=myusername&password=mypassword

The actual link where I go to sign in is:

https://mail.y.x.gov

Note that the "y" is redirected into the "x" in the first link

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
Nice. I upgraded, and lost all bookmark made within the last 6 months or so. Nice. Thank you, Firefox! I tried resetting the bookmarks with the profile thingy, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Extra nice, since it's my work machine, which means I have a LOT of missing bookmarks now. Fantastic. :mad:
Hi.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
I upgraded, and lost all bookmark made within the last 6 months or so.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php

Mozbackup is a freebee for backing up just about everything in Thunderbird and Firefox.  Works like a champ.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »
to a certain extent I actually like the automatic finishing of URL's.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Quote from: Fjolnirsson
Nice. I upgraded, and lost all bookmark made within the last 6 months or so.
Almost certainly not lost.  See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

If you installed firefox 3 once and then went back to 2.x, your old 2.x bookmarks are there... FF just didn't think to reimport them when you installed 3.5 because it noticed you already had a FF3 profile.

One thing that annoys me about FF3 is that it sticks profile stuff all over the place.  I can't keep track of what goes in Appdata\Roaming and what goes in Appdata\Local.  It has Mozilla\Firefox\<profiles> directories in both of those locations.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:22:35 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »
I enjoy using Xmarks to synchronize my bookmarks across different browsers and computers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
OK, here I go.  Wish me luck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 01:06:21 PM »
OK, here I go.  Wish me luck.

Well at least he didn't say, "hold my beer and watch this."   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
I was drinking water, neat.  Sorry I'm so boring. 

The motherboard switch was uneventful as well.  I did think I had buggered the new motherboard with a screw at one point, but apparently not. 

The only thing that changed was the boot sequence.  I used to have more options, like a USB boot.  It complained that it couldn't find the floppy or the second hard drive, which were not installed.  I did add a floppy drive to the old motherboard, but left it out this time.  It never had a second hard drive. 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
It never had a second hard drive.

Medication is available now-a-days.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.