Author Topic: Alice Day: when did pedophiles get a holiday?  (Read 54056 times)

PTK

• friends
Re: Alice Day: when did pedophiles get a holiday?
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
I think the horse is dead guys.

Agreed - I'm done posting in here, good debate all around, we have different stances that are, indeed, compatible in daily life (as I've met some people with the pro-LEO ideas, while I have the opposing thoughts)

In any case, we can all agree that yes, pedophiles are very bad people, and yes, we love our children....

:D

...but not in THAT way. ;)

So, let's just stop going back and forth and get back to the heart of the matter;

Strings, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I, for one, feel more prepared to understand pedophiles and identify them if something is going all hinkey (new word I enjoy) in public, especially if it's blatantly obvious. I never would have thought to take a picture for later ID if something arises, for example.

one of the things i loathe about our society is things like this... ...in todays world we called the cops to help him for fear folks might freak if we offered him a ride.

Indeed. I'm happy to live in a neighborhood here in Montana where people are friendly, kids are polite and outgoing, and neighbors help neighbors. A good example is that since I'm missing my kids (whom I never get to see again thanks to the ex) my neighbor has me come over and chat over tea when her granddaughter is staying for the day. It cheers me up, but according to some folks I might be "grooming" her. Today's world is just... depressing.  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »
Again, no one is advocating that. I need to buy stock in the company that makes strawmen, this thread must be putting their profit margin through the roof.

Quote from: Strings
About this time, most pedophiles would either get belligerent, or fade away. Escalation beyond this point is purely situational.

Because anyone who doesn't want to hang around and chat with a nosy biker must be a pedophile.  It couldn't just be someone who doesn't want to be robbed.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
Was thinking about this thread while at work this morning. I noticed one thing...

But most of the anti-photographer posts in this discussion begin with the assumption that anyone who is taking pictures that might include children MUST be a pervert/pedophile and that the photographer MUST be accosted and asked to explain himself. As an amateur photographer, I think that's annoying. I'm "into" cameras and photography much as I am "into" guns and cars. I love cameras and taking pictures. If I'm out shooting and someone wants to come over and chat about which model of Canon I have, why I prefer Canon to Nikon, what lens I'm using, how do I handle depth of field, etc., I'm happy to spend some time (within reason) discussing photography.

Honestly. most folks seeing someone taking pictures with a nice rig would probably shrug and write that person off as a simple shutterbug: I know I would. I might approach that person to ask them questions about their set-up (used to do photography for a local biker rag), but they would be less likely to set off any kind of creep-o-meter.

Kinda like a local cop, who told me he really doesn't worry too much when he sees someone carrying a nice pistol in a holster, but WILL stop someone with a cheap/beat up pistol tucked into their pants...

Indeed. I'm happy to live in a neighborhood here in Montana where people are friendly, kids are polite and outgoing, and neighbors help neighbors. A good example is that since I'm missing my kids (whom I never get to see again thanks to the ex) my neighbor has me come over and chat over tea when her granddaughter is staying for the day. It cheers me up, but according to some folks I might be "grooming" her. Today's world is just... depressing.

Oh, believe me... I know THAT feeling quite well.

I'm the guy that would start a game of pool tag at the local Y with all the kids, pops a quarter into the gumball machine for the kid whose mother says she can't afford it, etc. When I first learned about common grooming behaviors, I felt kinda dirty, to tell the truth.

But look at it this way: this whole situation IS very similar to carrying a gun. Many assaults are carried out using a handgun, as are robberies and other crimes. Doesn't make you a criminal by association though...

Regardless, I think this thread has run it's course. My intention was to raise awareness of a problem. Those who wish to use the info, have it available.

Those who seem to have a personal axe to grind with me... don't really care.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
I have noticed a number of folks putting out the idea that just going up and asking questions is an innocuous activity, and should not be be met with suspicion or resentment.  To me, that just doesn't jibe with real life people reactions. 

If your "hinky meter" is going off, the likelihood of your "whatcha doin'" question coming off as accusatory or suspicious is pretty high.  I think most people would realize that they are getting interviewed in a manner very similar to a police stop. Most people DO NOT take kindly to having to justify their presence and behavior in a public place to a total stranger.

Moreover, I don't think it is particularly paranoid to have one's own hinky meter go off if they are approached by a complete stranger who starts off with probing questions no matter how polite a face they try to put on it.  I might wonder if I am getting "interviewed" by a mugger looking for a victim.  I might start wondering if they have a partner waiting in the wings. 

If I am ever at the park with my son, and my "hinky meter" goes off, I will likely leave the area and perhaps take a cell phone pic of the individual I have deemed suspicious for future reference. I'm not going to do an approach on a suspicious character when I have my son with me, as you never know how someone might snap. 

If your worst suspicions are correct, you might be dealing with a person that doesn't have much to lose or has serious mental issues.  I'm not going to get my kids caught up in such a potentially volatile situation. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
My mind still boggles that speaking to someone is a suspicious and hostile act, while photographing someone's child is the height of unicorns and rainbows innocence. /walks off shaking head
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2010, 05:22:49 PM »
My mind still boggles that speaking to someone is a suspicious and hostile act, while photographing someone's child is the height of unicorns and rainbows innocence. /walks off shaking head

If you're so worried about someone stealing your child's soul with the devil box, stay out of public places.  It's that simple.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/SFPD-deem-alleged-playground-lurker-not-a-threat-92229949.html
Which one of you was this?  Fistful, were you in California and didn't tell us??

Did anybody get punched in the face?  No?  Then not me.  IBTL
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »

Did anybody get punched in the face?  No?  Then not me.  IBTL
IBFPSPITF

(In Before Fistful Punches Some Photographer In The Face)

Also,
IBSAPGGAASOGAHAQ

(In Before Some Antisocial Photographer Guy Goes Apeshiite After Some Other Guy Asks Him A Question)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton