Author Topic: The Safety Razor  (Read 47478 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
The Safety Razor
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
Well, I'm a new convert.  I ditched the 18 blade Mach42 stuff many years ago, switched to cheap two blade disposables for a few years, and I finally took the plunge back to the 1890's and got myself a double edged safety razor a couple of months ago.

The blades cost about 10 cents and in my two months of experience they last me about a week before I feel like replacing them.   So, that's about $5 a year in blade costs.  Granted, I did go back to using shaving cream, something I hadn't used in years, but I'll probably get away from doing that now that I know how to use it.

It's a little slower for daily shaving but if you skip a few days it doesn't clog up like a disposable does. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: The Safety Razor
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »
I may have to do some hunting to find one. For the last ten or twenty years razors seem to have been made lawyer-proof. I can't get a close shave to save my life. I can't even cut myself.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
I'm also on the safety-razor-and-several-days-between-shaves routine. I have some ancient Gilette and use Feather blades.

I'm happy that it's currently acceptable to go around with a bit of stubble, even in fairly professional circles. I have a very tough beard, and keeping a close shave on a daily basis is really hard on my skin.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »
I switched to a Merkur safety razor about a year ago.  Years of problems with ingrown hairs cleared up in just a few days.  I use Merkur blades.  They don't stay sharp for more than 4-5 shaves, but they are cheap compared to cartridges.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:50:42 AM »
I solved all my razor problems the easy way 18 years ago, I just quit shaving.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »
I solved all my razor problems the easy way 18 years ago, I just quit shaving.

Quitter.

=D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:03:25 AM »
Granted, I did go back to using shaving cream, something I hadn't used in years, but I'll probably get away from doing that now that I know how to use it.

Use something non-lathering like an oil or a regular gel.  It doesn't gunk up the razor as much, and you don't accidentally end up leaving the house with a strip of foam that you missed.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:04:26 AM »
Quitter.

=D

As my manager said, when I told him I don't smoke: "No one likes a quitter."  =)

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:32 AM »
Wish I could go more than a couple of days without shaving.  During normal periods of time I will go 2-3 weeks or so without shaving.  This having to shave everyday crap gets old fast.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
I recently gave the DE razor another try.  I'm using a Weishi DE razor in gunmetal with a Palmolive Shave Stick.  The latter is a great discovery.  You moisten your face, then rub the stick all over it like a glue stick.  Then, you use your wet shave brush to work up a lather directly on your face.  No cup full of soap or anything like that.  The Palmolive soap develops a great, thick lather.  Another benefit is that it makes for a great travel kit because, again, no soapy mugs to deal with.

The Weishi, while a cheap Chinese import, delivers a good shave and is very mild.  It frequently is suggested as a first DE razor for noobs.  I have to agree.  I find shaving with it is actually gentler to my face than any multi-blade wonder razor (though the Palmolive is a big contributor to this).

The blades that come with the razor are ok, but I start getting razor burn at about the third use.  The Feather blades mentioned by Zahc are great.  I got a pack of them in a sampler I bought with the razor.  I'm still trying out the different blades, but the Feather blades may be my go to blades.

Chris

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:51:48 AM »
If someone needs on, I have a couple Gillette Fatboy razors laying around somewhere. Can post pics if needed.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
How much?

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
The first "real" shave I ever had was courtesy of my dad's safety razor. I've bought into the hype of the 17 blade super razor ever since, and completely forgot about the old safety razor. I complained like crazy the last time I paid $50 for a pack of cartridges at Costco. I need to give the safety razor another go. I like Chris' link to the one with the neat little travel case.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »
Ben, if you get the Weishi, it it from the link I provided and get their sampler pack of blades (make sure it's the one that includes Feather blades).  The blades that come with the Weishi are mediocre and you'll want to try out others anyway.  Also, I can't recommend the Palmolive soap stick enough.  Great product!  You'll need a brush with the soap stick though.

Here's how the stick works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFNuV7vxZvA (FF to the 2:50 mark, that's where he demonstrates using a shave stick).

Chris

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
I've been using a 1970s Gillette safety razor for years. I also had a huge bag of Wilkinson blades I bought about ten years ago when I came across them at $0.69 a pack. I finally ran out of them last year and since then I've been having a hell of a time. It appears most stores don't carry the standard double edge blades any more. The ones that do have them at $4 a pack, which is ridiculous. I bought some double-blade disposables and I am about to toss them. They suck. I actually grew a full beard for a while because of this. I am using some three-bladed gizmo for now, but I really want my old double edge back.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »
Order online in bulk.  It won't be .69/pack, but it's close.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
Chris - thanks for that video link! That's really neat. I already have a brush that I use with my shaving mug (which I use when I'm not in a hurry, otherwise I've just been using gel). I think I'd like to give that stick a go.

My dad mostly uses an electric shaver these days because he's getting old and shaky, but I remember when he used a safety razor, all he ever did was use a plain old bar of soap that he would rub on his face. He'd then just wet his hands and build up a lather that way. Don't know where he picked that up - maybe in Germany where he's from. Anyway, the stick technique looks very similar to his old "bar of soap" method. All nice and simple, and looks great for travel as well
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
I bought a Merkuur razor about a year ago and use personna blades, about a dime apiece.  I made the switch after Mach 3s changed; they used to last 6 shaves, now they're good for only 3! I splurge on Art of Shaving cream, but a $22 jar lasts 6 months.  It feels and smells great and i actually like shaving now...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »
Also, just starting out, the blade choices are through the roof.

High recommend westcoastshaving.com or other site offering blade sampler packs. Everyone's face is different and there are literally hundreds of blades to choose from, with at least a dozen or two that could be counted as common. Even the expensive ones are cheap compared to most cartridge razors.

Razors can almost always be found at the local flea market and there are several new productions ones. Locally you can even likely find one or two if you have a Sally Beauty Supply or something like that.

Oh, and check out badgerandblade.com
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »
I found that honing the cartridge-type blades on a couple of sheets of newsprint works pretty well.  You vary the stroke direction and angle of the handle.  Only hones on one side of the edge, but seems to work.  You should have at least 5 or 6 sheets under it to provide some flexibility when gliding the razor over the newsprint.  (Large black areas in the printing seem to be "sticky" to the razor.)

Without documentation or scientific experimentation, I'm pretty sure even a new cartridge honed this way shaves better than just taking it out of the pack and using it.

Still experimenting with this technique, though.  Would like feedback if you actually try it, instead of merely dismissing it as piffle beforehand.

Cheer up.  The ancients used bronze razors and olive oil.

Terry, 230RN

Quick and dirty illustration:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:33:32 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 01:05:23 PM »
Chris - thanks for that video link! That's really neat. I already have a brush that I use with my shaving mug (which I use when I'm not in a hurry, otherwise I've just been using gel). I think I'd like to give that stick a go.

My dad mostly uses an electric shaver these days because he's getting old and shaky, but I remember when he used a safety razor, all he ever did was use a plain old bar of soap that he would rub on his face. He'd then just wet his hands and build up a lather that way. Don't know where he picked that up - maybe in Germany where he's from. Anyway, the stick technique looks very similar to his old "bar of soap" method. All nice and simple, and looks great for travel as well

Interesting, my grandfather uses plain ol' bar soap in an old mug with a brush.  BTW, the stick soaps for shaving tend to have lanolin or other moisturizers that aren't in regular bar soap.  The lather I get from the Palmolive stick is super rich.  I wish I had known about it while I was over in the UK recently, it's apparently dirt cheap there.

Lupinus, I got my first DE razor at a flea market.  I scrubbed it real good and used it for a couple years.

230RN, I never thought to hone a cartridge razor.  I might give that a try next time I find myself using one.

Chris

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
Safety razors is nice.
I have a Merkur with Merkur blades.  I will have to concur that they seem to wear out even a bit faster than the CVS brand blades I bought.
The shave is nice and easy on my skin tho.  I have super sensitive skin and shaving with a cartridge equals bloody face even though I've never cut myself shaving.
Only a few red spots with the Merkur.
Sucks sharing a bathroom with a lady roommate, as the bathroom is small and there's not enough room to keep much of my stuff in there.  A lot to lug around just to shave.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
BTW, the stick soaps for shaving tend to have lanolin or other moisturizers that aren't in regular bar soap.

And the oily stuff stays in the beard follicles and darkens your beard, I've noticed, so you may end up wirh a 1700 hrs shadow anyhow.  Just like a wet spot on a shirt gets darker, 'cept the lanolin and other oils don't evaporate whereas the wet shirt does.

One thing I like about getting older is my beard turned grey instead of reddish, so it doesn't show as much if I forget neglect to shave.

Mabs, female roomates take up a lot of acreage in the bathroom, so I sympathize.  Incidentally, I think you are referring to "razor burn," as opposed to straight-out toilet-paper-patch-worthy nicks and cuts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:24:57 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
I started using facial soap and disposable triple blade stuff a few years back.  The blades last me a few weeks so I spend very little over time.  The bar soap, IMO, it better and easier than gel or cream for me and doesn't plug up the razor.  A safety razor sounds pretty cool, but I figure I'll stick with what works.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
Just ordered the razor and shaving stick mtnbkr recommended. I also ordered the sampler pack of blades that includes both the Feathers, and the Personna red labels (which also got some good reviews).