Author Topic: The Safety Razor  (Read 47475 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: The Safety Razor
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
I hate shaving, but I do it. 
It has to do with my poor coordination upon arising.  I'm okay if everything is in it's place and in order.
I can't think and can hardly walk first thing in the morning, let alone use razors near my face.

It took a couple of years, but I finally splurged and bought an English badger brush for about 35 bucks.
Rinsed out and shaken dry after each use (4-5x week) it's outlasted 3 lesser brushes.
I store it "bristles up" on top of a cake of bay rum soap in a blue porcelain tin camping cup.

http://www.colconkproducts.com/

It takes a few tries to get the lather right. 
Just a few drops of water is all you need - if you get too much water in there, just dump out the slop in the sink and start again.

When I limit myself to two razor pulls (one each side of the blade) between a rinse, with no pulls over a spot where there's not lather, I get NO razor burn

7-11 was a part time job.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
Yes, I'm familiar with razor burn.  I went from only being able to shave once every two weeks with cartridges to being able to shave whenever with the safety razor.  Razor burn for me was so bad my face looked like it bled from every pore.  Not so with the Merkur.  Just a bit of red on the lower portions of my neck that goes away after a couple hours usually.

Pro tip:  Get an Alum block, they're amazing.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
I started using shampoo, with a cartridge razor, several months ago. The main reason was the absence of foam, which allowed me to see what I was doing.

I usually just shave it dry now. Uncomfortable, but quick and convenient.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
These days I am most often bearded and only trim the neck line with electric shears but will seasonally trim back to a more manageable beard. My career path has been non-traditional and I have always managed to keep a beard at work.

When I need a razor I use an older Gillette ball tip safety razor. It was the cheapest opening bid on ebay at the time and I won it not knowing anything but it turned out to be a very good choice. I read that it is one of the more gentle double edged razors. My beard is coarse and patchy from a lifetime of acne scarring. The coverage is not dense but the hair itself is thick, curly and red. There's not so much red up top now that I'm working my way to middle age. My hair also grows in a random swirl pattern and I have to change the direction of my stroke every pass. Although slow growing my beard will turn a brand new disposable razor into junk on the 3rd light trim. The only blades I could source locally for a few years were Personna and they worked so well that I never thought about changing. More than a year ago that store switched them out for Wilkinson blades which are inferior. They have about half the life that Personna blades did for me. My skin is exceptionally insensitive and I usually shave with only water or single pump of whatever hand lotion my girlfriend left laying around. When my current supply of Wilkinson blades run out I'll be placing an order for something else.

I made many attempts with a straight razor but no matter how much I sharpened, stropped, steamed, lathered and prepped it just wouldn't work. An expensive razor may have made the difference but it was obvious that the straight razor was too far back in convenience to be worth it, no matter what the cool factor. All shaving is bad for my complexion so I basically give it up half the year just to keep the acne down. No one ever warned me that I could be fighting hair loss, greying and acne at the same time. It is definitely not the part of youth I wanted to hang on to for so long.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 11:35:19 PM »
How close of a shave do you get with a safety razor? I've never been able to get a close shave from a cartridge or disposable razor. Even right after I shave you can see a bit of a shadow, and feel a tiny bit of bristle.
Andy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »
Quitter.

=D

It's not so much that I quite shaving, more like I started maintaining a beard.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 01:59:33 AM »
Got a Merkur adjustable razor, with a decent supply of Merkur blades. Then I bought a bulk pack of Derby blades.
Derby's stay sharper longer. They're also cheaper. I can stretch the Derby's two weeks, the Merkur's only one.
Bought two of the 100-pack boxes. When I shave every day, I use a blade a week - so I'm good until about 2016.
I don't know that DE razors are better than the multi blade deals, but they are cheaper in the long run. A good brush and good soap helps a lot, too.
I always found myself using the cartridge razors way too long, since they cost so much. The DE blades are cheap, so I toss them with no hesitation.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 06:24:15 AM »
How close of a shave do you get with a safety razor?
Depends on the razor/blade combo. Some razors are more aggressive than others, including the adjustable. A Gillette fatboy for instance is generally considered pretty mild along it's entire range.

But generally speaking, you can get a very close shave with a safety razor, for most people more so than a cartridge razor. The difference is that a good shave with a safety razor takes some practice and technique. Whereas you can hand just about any idiot a cartridge razor and they can shave with it without to much hassle.

In all honesty I use both, depending what mood and if I'm in a hurry.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »
I shave my head and face every day in the shower.  I discovered to my chagrin that my head has too many bumps for a safe shave using a safety razor.  On the suggestion of some of the head shaving websites, I started using a Schick Quattro for women along with shaving oil. This gives me the closest shave ever with a minimum of cuts.  After testing, I can get acceptable shaves at up to a month of use.  I toss and replace the razor every two weeks: on payday so it is easy to remember. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
Hmm..got to try these at some point, but a product recommendation
Lush "shave the males" shaving cream (no lather)
Tend skin aftershave.

I ap have super sensitive skin, and the combination of the two effectively eliminates all razor burn.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
I made the switch after Mach 3s changed; they used to last 6 shaves, now they're good for only 3! I splurge on Art of Shaving cream, but a $22 jar lasts 6 months.  It feels and smells great and i actually like shaving now...
Only 3-6 shaves out of a Mach 3?  Wow.

I tend to shave twice a week because more than that isn't comfortable and less than that means a full beard.  I usually get several months out of my Mach 3 cartridges.  I don't use shaving creams or oils - just hot water in the shower, and do everything wrong when it comes to keeping the razor in shape (i.e., I rinse but don't dry it after use, I store it in the shower, never do anything to hone the edge, etc.).

When I run out of blades for the Mach 3, I might try a safety razor, though.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
I shave my head and face every day in the shower.
Same here.

I discovered to my chagrin that my head has too many bumps for a safe shave using a safety razor.
Yep.

I started using a Schick Quattro for women along with shaving oil.
I use the MEN's Quattro.  Sometimes just lathering up with soap, sometimes with good ole Barbasol.

This gives me the closest shave ever with a minimum of cuts.
Yep again.  A double blade cartridge will leave nicks.  I shudder to think what a single edge safety razor would do to my scalp.  :'(

I toss and replace the razor every two weeks: on payday so it is easy to remember.
I change the cartridge on the same schedule.

MillCreek... we're bonding!   :-*

DD  =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »
For cartridge razors my all time LEAST favorite is the Schick Quattro.

Ironically, the cartridge razor I like the best and use when I don't feel like using the safety razor, is the Schick Hydro 5. For anyone that wants a cartridge razor I think it's the best performing.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
DD, I noticed a perceptible difference between the men's and women's Quattro.  I tried both.  In eyeballing both razors, the women's model seemed to have a less acute angle between the handle and skin contact.  For lack of a better word, the blade head seemed to be flatter in contacting the area to be shaved.  This gave me lesser cuts and nicks than the men's model when using it on my head.  No difference on the face and neck. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 01:46:22 AM »
In eyeballing both razors, the women's model seemed to have a less acute angle between the handle and skin contact.

Innerestin'!  So, you're saying the angle between the line tangent to the point of contact at the scalp and the razor handle was less with the men's model?  It seems to me (I hate that phrase!*) that I have to hold the handle more perpendicular to my scalp than I would like with the men's model.  Not enough that it makes me want to ditch it and go hunting for another brand, but enough that I know to raise the handle some to get the contact I want.  I can't imagine having to raise the handle even farther with the women's model.

DD

*"It seems to me" is a line that is often pompously/arrogantly uttered before a statement that is not founded in fact, but more on unicorn farts and wishing well pennies.  e.g. "It seems to me that if we just practiced some common sense gun laws (outlaw them all!) our murder rates would necessarily plummet."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
I've never used the women's Quattro but for the past five years or so I've been using the Venus III. The cartridges are ridiculously expensive, but I have never cut my legs shaving like I did with disposables in the past. DD & Millcreek, you might give it a shot if the Quattro ever disappoints.

On the other hand, if there was a cheaper way to shave my legs without slicing myself to ribbons I'd be interested to hear it.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
If you dare wear short shorts...

http://www.naircare.com/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »
On the other hand, if there was a cheaper way to shave my legs without slicing myself to ribbons I'd be interested to hear it.

Ask for volunteers.  Require them to supply all necessities.

Profit.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
I've never used the women's Quattro but for the past five years or so I've been using the Venus III. The cartridges are ridiculously expensive, but I have never cut my legs shaving like I did with disposables in the past. DD & Millcreek, you might give it a shot if the Quattro ever disappoints.

Gillette made several razors for the ladies. In several colors, long handles and mild. You to can shave for pennies.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Lady_Gillette

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
I was running out of multi-blade cartridges and unhappy about their replacement price, when I came across this thread.  I did not even know that old-style safety razors were still available.

In any case, after reading lots of reviews, I placed an order. Within the next week, I should take delivery of a new Merkur and enough Feather blades to last for a good long time.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
Gillette made several razors for the ladies. In several colors, long handles and mild. You to can shave for pennies.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Lady_Gillette

The pictures don't show up. Is it my computer or the link?

But wait! If I change the way I shave my legs based on what a bunch of men advise, I'll have to turn in my girl card!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

erictank

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:50 AM »
Haz Merkur Futur adjustable safety razor ($70?), for about 2+ years now I believe. Razor irritation WAY down vs. shaving with the bank-'o-blades disposable cartridges, often closer/cleaner shave as well (if I do my part - otherwise I'm still stubbly). I take longer to shave now than I used to, in part because I mix up foam in a big-ol' latte mug - $3.99 from Bed Bath & Beyond - from one of Taylor of Old Bond Street's shaving cream tubs using a badger-hair brush.

Blades currently in use: I'm less than a third of the way through a megapack of bargain blades from Amazon, 7 A.M. brand, which work surprisingly well for something like $16/100 blades. I replace the blades between 5-7 uses, which actually works out to about every 2 weeks for me.  Yes, I grow facial hair slowly. Wilkinson and Merkur blades were nice, CVS' brand was tolerable but inferior for premium price.
Regular badger-hair brush from Amazon, Tweezerman brand IIRC, cost like $11. It and the razor hang from a Col. Conk's 2-pc stand ($50, but got it for Christmas) on my sink. You can spend more for a regular or silver-tip badger brush, and maybe it's worth it - I don't know. Mine's lasted 2 years so far. It sheds a little, and I'm probably getting close to replacement time - but what a value!  Will almost certainly get another of these to replace it (might get extras for my downstairs bedroom, where I keep some extra shaving stuff for when I need to sleep down there, and my travel shaving kit, since they're so cheap).
Shaving cream - favorite is Taylor's Sandalwood, though their Avocado is nice too; at one point I picked up a sampler pack from The Shave Den, and I liked several other kinds (Tabac had a VERY pleasing scent and lathered exceptionally well but is $30 for a tub; Taylor's run about $13 for the same size, which lasts a few months and lathers about as well) but Taylor's is my go-to brand. Tub fits neatly inside the latte mug on my counter.
I used Art Of Shaving ($22 for 2.5oz? bottle) or King Of Shaves ($6.99 for teeny-tiny bottle, but you only need a couple of drops for your whole face) shaving oil for a while, and noticed that it helped reduce razor burn even under shaving cream, but have since found that baby oil, at a tenth the price, is equally good for that purpose.  Have heard of people using olive oil for the same purpose.
Aftershave - I often do without.  When I want to smell nice for a special occasion, I like Pinaud Clubman. Alcohol-based, so it stings, but the sting wears off fast and the scent is nice without being overwhelming. $7 for a several-ounce bottle.
Of course I have a styptic stick and alum block for when I screw up by the numbers and cut or razor-burn myself. They've seen little use since I stopped trying to do the straight-razor thing...  :lol:
Left-over Dovo Shavette, which is a cartridge-based "straight razor". Single-edge blade goes in a folding plastic insert (3 colors for 3 different lengths of blades), and you use it like a regular straight razor. I'm pretty well convinced that if I were foolish enough to try and use it on my throat, my wife would find me bled out on the floor in the bathroom looking like Sweeny Todd had been at me. I've tried it on the flatter portions of my face, and can't keep from cutting myself frequently and often. I'll stick with my Futur, thanks very much.

I also have most of a shaving (soap) stick from Arko, a Turkish brand, left which I store in the latte mug on top of the Taylor's tub normally. As was previously noted, you wet your face, rub the stick all over your face, and lather it up right on your face with a brush. $2, so I'll be getting another couple of these for travel use (TSA-permitted, supposedly) and backup at home, in case I forget to order my regular stuff and run out. Clogs my razor worse than the Taylor's, though.

In my experience, the Art of Shaving stuff is nice, but overpriced - their kits are like $100 for preshave oil, shaving cream, aftershave balm, and a brush.  They smell nice and work well, don't get me wrong, but you don't need to spend that much to get a shave at least as good.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

A safety razor can be made to work just fine if you are careful about it.  I shaved my legs with one on a few occasions
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
The mtnbkr recommended Weishi razor and accessories came in today. The razor has heft and is surprisingly well made for an $18 (with case) item. I'll be giving it a whirl tomorrow morning.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
A safety razor can be made to work just fine if you are careful about it.  I shaved my legs with one on a few occasions

If I can clean up my wedding tackle with one legs shouldn't be any problem.