Author Topic: Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking  (Read 41217 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »

I do a fair amount of hiking, often by myself Often in broken, mountainous terrain. For high activity (lotta climbing), I carry a Sig P250 as it's small, lightweight and easy to conceal. I also carry a Sig 226 for when I do a lot of walking. Both in 9mm.

I'm pretty sure it would only really annoy some larger animals here in the Northeast. Mostly, bears. While bears are not extremely much of a concern, I'm essentially screwed if I do run into one. Wild pigs are another mild concern. Feral dogs and coyotes aren't uncommon either.

Thoughts? Rhino in .357 Mag, or should I go larger? I'm fairly comfortable with the 454 or .45-70. Not an insane fan of .44 Mag, usually by the 50th shot, my hands hurt enough that I'm calling it a day. Like most hiking equipment, requirements contradict each other. Needs to be light, strong, reliable and useful for as many purposes as possible. Also, I carry concealed. Usually on hip, but I'm thinking of going to shoulder holsters. There are times when I carry in a small backpack. The theoretical weapon should be comfortable with getting wet, or in contact with mud. I've debated a Draco, for environmental concerns alone.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Pondering a big bore pistol for hiking
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
I know not everyone likes SA, but my "in the field" handgun is a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC. Very versatile cartridge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
I know not everyone likes SA, but my "in the field" handgun is a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC. Very versatile cartridge.

This is exactly what I would suggest. You can get em in 357 as well
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
For many decades here in the wet part of the PNW, I have carried a short-barrel .357 revolver and have felt it adequate for any two-legged or four-legged threats I may reasonably encounter.  I also carry concealed and corrosion-resistance, light weight and packability all enter into my calculus.  So I usually end up carrying one of my Ruger stainless .357's.  The 3" SP-101 usually gets the nod these days.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »
My thought was the .45LC Redhawk. Same thought train as Ben, dependent on your preferred action and form factor.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
500 S&W Mag with a 4" barrel. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdah_pistol

I have actually considered buying one before. It was on sale as Cabelas. I actually really do regret not buying it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
10mm auto loaded with hardcasts in whatever model floats your boat would be a good choice.

Currently I carry a M&P45c loaded with BB 255gr hardcast out hiking.  Not ideal if I bump into an angry grizzly, but serviceable.  I'd buy a M&P 10mm in a heartbeat in the unlikely event S&W ever makes one.

I also have a stubby little 2.25" DAO SP-101 that I'm thinking of carrying instead.

Edit:  had the barrel length wrong on the SP-101
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:48:06 PM by 41magsnub »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »

I was about to suggest that. My "Barbeque Gun" is an Old Model Vaquero in .45LC.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »

SP-101 in .357 is looking very economical. About $500, with rounds being mostly affordable commercially.

Ruger Vaquero is interesting. Looks like it's offered in .357 and .45 Colt. Probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than .45-70

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
41magsnub's suggestion of a .45acp automatic is a reasonable one.  I often mimic it, though I carry 230gr LRN hardcast rather than his 255gr hardcast.  Same philosophy though.

I've done hikes with an IWB revolver (SP101 3").  It can be done, but I definitely don't like it with a pack large enough to require a hip belt.  Aside from slowing the draw considerably, it's uncomfortable.  I greatly prefer OWB.  I find myself best served with a dropped/offset holster that allows a pack belt to fit between the gun and my hip, but still keeps the pistol on my pistol belt rather than strapped to the pack.  Cowboy buscadero rigs can also accomplish this positioning.  Automatics ride more comfortably for me, IWB, due to reduced thickness and more spread on the pressure points.

Your environmental concerns should be pushing you more towards a striker fired service automatic of some sort.  My default pistol for these things for the last few years has been a Colt LW Commander, but it's probably going to change to an XD45 in the next few months... probably around tax refund time.  G20 or G29, G21 or G30, XD45, MP45, something like that.  No room for muck to get between the hammer and firing pin, no way for mud and sand to worm its way into the chamber in the event of a streamside tumble, no hammer to get bent if the cocked-n-locked gun falls out of its holster and bounces on a boulder.

I've mentioned WildAlaska's XD45 that he does in .460Rowland if you want more juice than .45acp can deliver.  However, I think a well placed hardcast .45acp pushing into the +p territory will handle the same workload that cowpunchers used .45 colt sixguns for, 125 years ago.

Just be aware that going with a Glock will require an aftermarket barrel if you're going to run hardcast pills.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
For non-hunting duties, I really like my S&W 629 4".  Compact enough to be out of the way, but powerful enough to deal with any threats on the Eastern half of the US.  It can even handle hunting duties if necessary.  I consider the 357mag marginal except when using hot loads and heavy hardcast bullets.  Unfortunately, those aren't common unless you handload.  Most 357mag ammo is oriented toward self defense against humans.  I'd only go with the 357mag if you already had one, and then only in a model large enough to handle stout loads.  However, even paper punching 44mag ammo is suitable for defense against most anything but large bears.  My 629 rides nicely in a good Threepersons-style holster (and Beltman belt).

You're in my region of the US, so you're likely to run into the same "threats" as myself.  Besides everyone's favorite boogeyman, the bear, you can also encounter coyote, bobcat, feral dogs (my greatest fear), feral humans, and anecdotally, a cougar (not a drunk 50-something at a Philly bar).

I'm not sure why you mention 45-70 for a handgun.  The only handguns in 45-70 are rather large and the recoil can't be any better than a moderate 44mag. ???

A 45colt would be a good compromise.  Most factory ammo is pretty sedate, making recoil a non-issue, but in a Ruger, you can run hot stuff that meets or exceeds factory 44mag.  A S&W 696 would be another good compromise (5 rounds of 44special in an L-Frame).  Good luck finding one though.  I had one, but sold it because I liked the 629 better and because I needed the cash.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:09:23 PM by mtnbkr »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
10mm is a nice option.  I enjoyed shooting the Glock 29 I rented for my first GHL test in this state.  Shoots easier than any revolver with similar power.  Kinda thick, but otherwise good for concealment.

A Glock 30 with more powerful recoil & FP springs to suit .45Super would also work.  Heck, any concealable pistol (save the tiniest) in .45ACP given the spring treatment to handle .45Super would be decent out east.  Nice thing about a GM or Cdr 1911 is that you can get a flap-closure chest/tanker holster to pack it out of the way of your pack straps.  Wear a camp shirt over it and go all Superman if you have to draw.  Or retrofit said camp shirt with hidden velcro closures.  Yes, I did that to one shirt.

When I need absolute concealability that can penetrate a 4-legged critter, I pack my Taurus .357mag snubby.  Used to stoke it with .357mag hunting rounds, now with Buffalo Bore .38spl & .38spl+P.  BB hard cast wadcutters penetrate like crazy and cut a .357" hole.  They have a LSWC .38spl stoked up to 1200fps that would be even more penatrative.

I have a 629 like mtnbkr and it is sweet, indeed.  I have a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster and a custom OWB holster for it.  Don't need nuclear loads most parts to go through a critter.  Again, Buffalo Bore has some sweet loads and many others have produced a variety of loads.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
Lightweight needs consideration. My typical walk around gun is my Glock 17, I make up for bore size with capacity. Not light when I toss a few 30rd mags in the bag but I have a reason. All the national forest around me is cool with handguns, no long guns unless you're legally hunting. So, carry a lot of bit handgun.

My lightweight hiking gun has always been a 325 S&W. Lightweight, .45ACP and moonclips mean minimal logistics for a few reloads.

Dunno, I'm not the least bit concerned about bears, but the feral dogs and humans have my attention. Too many secret pot patches, meth labs, or just plain weird people loose in the wild.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »
How big are your hands? I can't hold an N frame smith very well. A G 20 is better. An L frame smith fits me fine... a 686+ gives 7 rounds of 357, Federal makes a 357 180gn hardcast load.

The big bore single actions seem to have a better grip for small hands than their double action cousins.
Have you seen the Freedom arms 5 shot SA? .44spc.

no matter how much power, it won't matter if you can't shoot it well or don't bring it with you.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Too many secret pot patches, meth labs, or just plain weird people loose in the wild.

Unintended Consequences, page 263.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re:
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
For God's sake, stay away from that Rhino.

The lockwork has a bazillion parts, and is very complex.

That has to be just nasty for reliability, and a nightmare for trigger pull improvement.

Increased friction is not your friend.

I agree with a 4" .44 mag, either S&W or Redhawk.

I never feel under-gunned with my 5" .44 Redhawk.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
Another vote for a 29/629/Ruger SRH.
Ruger Alaskan if you want something more compact. They are making them in the .480 again- if you reload >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
Another vote for a 29/629/Ruger SRH.
Ruger Alaskan if you want something more compact. They are making them in the .480 again- if you reload >:D

Yep!

If I was looking for a willy wilderness carry gun, I'd probably get a .44mag or a hot .45colt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
How big are your hands? I can't hold an N frame smith very well. A G 20 is better. An L frame smith fits me fine... a 686+ gives 7 rounds of 357, Federal makes a 357 180gn hardcast load.

The big bore single actions seem to have a better grip for small hands than their double action cousins.
Have you seen the Freedom arms 5 shot SA? .44spc.

no matter how much power, it won't matter if you can't shoot it well or don't bring it with you.

A RB N-frame can have grips smaller than a SB K-frame.

I have smallish hands (between Medium and Large in men's glove sizes).  I don't have problems with N-frames.  My Redhawk, on the other hand, was a different story.  It took ages to find a good grip that didn't put your hand too low (Hogue, I'm talking to you!).  I ended up with a Nill grip found inexpensively (for Nill) on Ebay.

The Federal 180gr Castcore load is a good one, but kind of hard to find at times.  Almost as expensive for 20 of those as 50 "Winchester White Box 44mags cost, and still not as potent, though the recoil isn't bad at all out of a GP100. 

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
I was about to suggest that. My "Barbeque Gun" is an Old Model Vaquero in .45LC.

Huh. I didn't know there was a "new" model Vaquero until I just took a peek at the Ruger and Gunbroker websites. My old model Vaquero was apparently a good investment, judging by current prices. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
I'd get a new model Vaquero (the SAA-sized one) in .45 Colt, and stoke it with hot handloads but keep 'em under 20000 psi.  I have a Blackhawk-Bisley in .45 Colt and I sometimes load it up around 25k or 26k psi, but it's more fun to shoot if I back it down just a little from there -- like 230 to 250 grain lead bullets with 7.5 grains of Red Dot.  The New Vaq is lighter, so more felt recoil.

Plain ol' lead 255's with full charges of blackpowder will shoot thru a buffalo.  Not sure how much more you need than that, and the hotter you load it the slower your follow-up will be.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »

Sounds like .44 mag and a 4 inch barrel is what people are recommending. Crap. I hate shooting .44 mag, and I'm not sure how comfy I'd be until I put at least 1k rounds through a platform. A shame the SP-101 doesn't come in that caliber, because I like the design. I want small (ish) and concealable. Weight isn't a huge deal, because more weight will help with recoil. And I hate .44 mag recoil. Very sharp. Maybe I'm a wuss, but more than a handful of rounds is unpleasant.

Any advantage of .45 Colt?

I don't reload yet, but will "real soon now". I prefer relatively easy to find commercially rounds. Also, if the round is even semi common in lever guns, so much the better.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 03:55:31 PM »
If you are set on .44 magnum, you could go with a Ruger Redhawk which is more or less a scaled up SP-101.