Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52652 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
I've been running 10 for a while now. Like, like, like it. The only downside thus far is my audio editing software, Reaper x64, doesn't play nice with it. First the app locks up, then a few moments later decides to take the system with it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
Windows 8.1 was really just SP1. Windows 10 is Windows 8 SP2. Microsoft has moved away from substantial service packs offering significant new and better functionality, and often deferring that to new operating systems. MS may call certain things "service packs", but they're mostly just patch and hotfix rollups with only new functionality where they cannot avoid it.

I'm guessing the eventual 10.1 will be actually Windows 8 SP3, and probably about the time it actually gets useful.

So what you're saying is that we're actually using Win3.1 For Workgroups SP[VERYBIGNUMBER]

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »
So what you're saying is that we're actually using Win3.1 For Workgroups SP[VERYBIGNUMBER]

More like NT3, SP <bignum>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
While I am happy with my 4 laptops being converted to 10, in a BUSINESS environment there is NO WAY I would go to 10 until it had been thoroughly vetted on whatever platform it was to be installed on!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2015, 10:00:58 PM »

No. There's truly substantial differences under the hood.

Windows 9x was all NT 4.x
Win2k and XP were NT 5.x
Vista/7 was NT 6.x

I'm not being completely fair, 8/8.1 is technically NT6.x with a different shell. 10 is a different NT and a lot of under the hood mods. 10 is what 8 should have been, and it's clear as hell. Instead of spending the time polishing up what's now currently Win10, they shoved Win8 out the door. 8.1 was a panic ridden bugfix to Win8. Win10 was rushed when 8.1 also went over like a lead balloon with corporations.

Win10 is getting mixed reviews in the corporate world. I'm advising it's a miss unless they sort things out. Again, FOR THE CORPORATE WORLD. It's probably good enough for consumers. Unless they pull another XP SP2 out of their forth point of contact, Win10 is a wash and we'll wait for Win11. Win10 isn't bad, but it's not great either unless you're massively into HyperV. Server 2016 is the same boat. It's already a wash unless you're a HyperV shop. Then it's a blessing.

Also on the plus side, Windows is finally moving heavily over to command prompt, which will make life much better.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
I've been using it on my tablet computer for a couple of weeks.

Meh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2015, 11:48:28 PM »
Yeah, I've had to unfuck a couple of local businesses after they were encouraged to upgrade, and then found out that either hardware or software wasn't properly supported.

If your existing software is working just fine (Windows 7 and above,) then by all means, stick with it.

If you can find the software you need specifically for Windows 10 and backwards compatibility isn't an issue, then 10 will be fine (provided your hardware supports it,)

Agree with RevDisk.  I still prefer doing a LOT of stuff through the command line. 

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
10 is what 8 should have been, and it's clear as hell. Instead of spending the time polishing up what's now currently Win10, they shoved Win8 out the door. 8.1 was a panic ridden bugfix to Win8. Win10 was rushed when 8.1 also went over like a lead balloon with corporations.

Definitely noticed that part.  The new work machine came with 8, and the 10 upgrade has really improved a lot of things.

Almost seems like 8 was another attempt to revive the MS Bob theory of building an OS for junior to play games and granny to send emails, without considering that some people want to do real work on a real computer, not turn a bunch of good hardware into essentially a big netbook clone.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Windows 10
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
Just upgraded my Acer I5 to Windows 10. So far am liking it. My Lightroom license transferred. My Apex license had to redo. Everything else is working. Google voice even came back. So far no glitches. The laptop is running a lot faster that 7. A LOT!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
No. There's truly substantial differences under the hood.

Windows 9x was all NT 4.x
Win2k and XP were NT 5.x
Vista/7 was NT 6.x

9x didn't use the NT kernel at all.  NT 4.x was developed separately from the 9x kernel.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
9x didn't use the NT kernel at all.  NT 4.x was developed separately from the 9x kernel.

Not kernel. Colonel. It's the highest rank in the military.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2016, 03:53:38 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »
Not kernel. Colonel. It's the highest rank in the military.

=D

I just watched that episode a few days ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »
DW recently got a new laptop with Win10.

I liked DOS.

Win10?  Not so much.

We're on a metered connection.  Win10 blew through our monthly allotment in less than a week.  And she got it during the first week of our billing period.  Finally found how to at least slow it's appetite a bit.

Only took about 5 hours of research and configuring over 2 days to get our wireless print server to work with Win10.  Haven't tried the MF printer's fax function yet, but it shows as a printing option.

Win10 can access both the XP & Vista systems on our LAN.  XP & Vista can see it, but so far can't access it.  More research is needed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »
DW recently got a new laptop with Win10.

I liked DOS.

Win10?  Not so much.

We're on a metered connection.  Win10 blew through our monthly allotment in less than a week.  And she got it during the first week of our billing period.  Finally found how to at least slow it's appetite a bit.

Only took about 5 hours of research and configuring over 2 days to get our wireless print server to work with Win10.  Haven't tried the MF printer's fax function yet, but it shows as a printing option.

Win10 can access both the XP & Vista systems on our LAN.  XP & Vista can see it, but so far can't access it.  More research is needed.

I had to deal with the metered connection thing on my win10 travel laptop with 4G modem. Here's the instructions for turning the auto updates off on metered wired ethernet:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=51614.0

Note that doing it that way means you get no updates at all, so if you want updates, you either have to turn it back on once in a while, or else do it when you're on unmetered wireless somewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2016, 08:36:29 PM »
Fortunately I didn't have to use Regedit, this laptop's only used wireless. 

I'll pop over to your other thread with a couple things learned while down the rabbit hole of Win10's data usage.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »
Well, boys, it's been nice knowin ya. I'm puttin together a new box this evenin, and then will shortly turn myself in to the Microsoft authorities, and install Windows 10. If you do not hear from once I've been assimilated into the collective, then look for me, and my personal information, in the cloud.

Farewell.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
Well, boys, it's been nice knowin ya. I'm puttin together a new box this evenin, and then will shortly turn myself in to the Microsoft authorities, and install Windows 10. If you do not hear from once I've been assimilated into the collective, then look for me, and my personal information, in the cloud.

Farewell.

Linux.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »

Farewell.

At least there won't be any more sock monkeys.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
Linux.

I've still got my Win 7 disk.

You people love my sock monkeys, and you know it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2016, 12:56:31 PM »

*grumble*

Kaspersky console deployments aren't going well.
Teradici doesn't play well, no surprise.

Even using group policy to disable "consumer experience", it's not entirely disabled.
Uninstalling via Powershell doesn't actually remove everything it says it does.
Uninstalling something manually doesn't actually remove everything it says it does.

Lots of stuff begs you for a Microsoft account, and we're still sorting out how to disable that. We have a domain for a bloody reason. NO MICROSOFT ACCOUNTS.
Still debating about disabling OneDrive, which should be an automatic thing.

I'm slowly writing shell scripts for all the steps, but Win10 lies about a lot of things.
Still need to look up new profile creation, and sort that out.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.