Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52651 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 01:30:05 AM »
Been on the RTM version for a bit now. Much improved over the tech preview. MUUUCH better in the interface department. Even with my touch enabled laptop i just set up, the interface is better for both touch and normal scenarios.

Resizing "metro" interface apps is nice. use a few for operations functions (dashboards mostly)

New browser has some kinks but is lightning quick. Old browser still available.

Cool new feature with proper hardware that I'm about to test: Hello and Passport

essentially, special hardware will take an IR heatmap of your face and use that to pass a key for authentication. Think smartcard (or TPM enabled virtual smartcard) but with your face and a pin instead of a chip and a pin.

Hybrid boot is nice. Computer stops and starts lightning fast (was fast before with an SSD, now even faster).

and the best thing yet....

PROPER GORRAMN CTRL C/CTRL V IN POWERSHELL AND THE COMMAND PROMPT
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:30 AM »
Been on the RTM version for a bit now. Much improved over the tech preview. MUUUCH better in the interface department. Even with my touch enabled laptop i just set up, the interface is better for both touch and normal scenarios.

Resizing "metro" interface apps is nice. use a few for operations functions (dashboards mostly)

New browser has some kinks but is lightning quick. Old browser still available.

Cool new feature with proper hardware that I'm about to test: Hello and Passport

essentially, special hardware will take an IR heatmap of your face and use that to pass a key for authentication. Think smartcard (or TPM enabled virtual smartcard) but with your face and a pin instead of a chip and a pin.

Hybrid boot is nice. Computer stops and starts lightning fast (was fast before with an SSD, now even faster).

and the best thing yet....

PROPER GORRAMN CTRL C/CTRL V IN POWERSHELL AND THE COMMAND PROMPT

Hat damn!!!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
I played with the Release Candidate while waiting for my Winders 7 Pro disks to come in and liked it as it ran everything I use without issue including some OLD XP era stuff! I have already signed on to upgrade all 4 of my notebooks when it is released.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »
So if you're getting the free upgrade, you can download and install this coming Wednesday?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »
Apparently.

It also sounds like you can download a full install rather than an upgrade, so when you go to build a new system, you don't have to install Win7 first.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
Isn't Win 10 supposed to have integrated remote desktop support? I'm probably gonna migrate my Win7 machine to 10, and definitely going to upgrade mom's Win8 laptop. I was going to set her up on Teamviewer so I could do remote support but held off in anticipation of 10. Integrated remote desktop, if it works, would be great.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:52 PM »
Isn't Win 10 supposed to have integrated remote desktop support? I'm probably gonna migrate my Win7 machine to 10, and definitely going to upgrade mom's Win8 laptop. I was going to set her up on Teamviewer so I could do remote support but held off in anticipation of 10. Integrated remote desktop, if it works, would be great.

Brad

Remote Desktop is available in Win7 Pro and whatever version of Win8 is on my tablet.  I can use my tablet to manage my desktop while on the same network.

Does the remote desktop support in Win10 allow for access outside the local network?  How does that work (securely)?

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
Apparently.

It also sounds like you can download a full install rather than an upgrade, so when you go to build a new system, you don't have to install Win7 first.

Chris

That's awesome! Full install download rocks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
That's awesome! Full install download rocks.

Exactly.  I don't really want to upgrade my current systems, but I'd like to use Win10 for my next build.  This way, I go ahead and get a copy for later use. :)

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
Apparently.

Chris

Where did you find this tidbit?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
It was on the FAQ page for the downloader.  I'm not on my home machine, so I can't dig up the link.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
Exactly.  I don't really want to upgrade my current systems, but I'd like to use Win10 for my next build.  This way, I go ahead and get a copy for later use. :)

Chris

Yup, that's pretty much where I am. On my win8 laptop, I'm upgrading immediately and not even waiting till the first service pack, because, Win8. The only reason I would do my Win7 machine is because I would want to get in on the free upgrade before it expires. With a full download ISO (or however they're going to deliver it), I can just hold on to the installer until I feel like switching from 7, or until my next build, whichever comes first.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
It was on the FAQ page for the downloader.  I'm not on my home machine, so I can't dig up the link.

Chris

You mean this?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Everything I've looked at indicates that the free 10 is only for devices already running 7 or 8.x, and will be tied to that particular device. So I doubt you'll be able to install on a new machine, unless you move your legacy OS to that new system, first. And that would need to be done by next July. Which is what I'm planning to do.

Is that what you meant?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
That's it, but I read it as being able to use it generally.  I'm not aware of MS continuing to tie licenses to specific hardware.  I know they tried it in the early Vista days, but I also know it wasn't the case for Win7 because I took my HDD out of one PC and installed it into another, completely different one, and used it for several months before reinstalling everything (took about half a dozen reboots to recognize and load all drivers, but was stable after that).

So, if they're saying you can do a full install via USB stick or DVD, I take that to mean you can install it anywhere as long as you have a license.  The real trick is if they provide a new license key or if the one you got with your purchased copy of Win7/8/8.1 is what you use to license Win10.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »

Now that part I like. If anyone can confirm this, please post the URL for the full install download.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
That's it, but I read it as being able to use it generally.  I'm not aware of MS continuing to tie licenses to specific hardware.  I know they tried it in the early Vista days, but I also know it wasn't the case for Win7 because I took my HDD out of one PC and installed it into another, completely different one, and used it for several months before reinstalling everything (took about half a dozen reboots to recognize and load all drivers, but was stable after that).

Eh?  Win 7 certainly will complain after a while, if a hard disk is transplanted into something else.

So, if they're saying you can do a full install via USB stick or DVD, I take that to mean you can install it anywhere as long as you have a license.  The real trick is if they provide a new license key or if the one you got with your purchased copy of Win7/8/8.1 is what you use to license Win10.

Chris

I've got a small pile of valid Win7 Pro license keys. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
Eh?  Win 7 certainly will complain after a while, if a hard disk is transplanted into something else.

I had to revalidate with the same license key, but not reinstall or get a new key.  I only reinstalled after upgrading to an SSD.  Even then, I duplicated the old disk onto the SSD for a few months before blowing it all away for a fresh install.

The license I'm using right now has been on two different PCs and three different HDDs (the current one being SSD).

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »

Chris

They do check your hardware - supposedly, people replacing 4-6 components over a couple of years had to get the OS license revalidated by phone.  Now, MS *DID* it, without squawking at all, supposedly, but the hardware check is still in there.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
They do check your hardware - supposedly, people replacing 4-6 components over a couple of years had to get the OS license revalidated by phone.  Now, MS *DID* it, without squawking at all, supposedly, but the hardware check is still in there.

I've had to get the license re-validated after just changing a single item like a failing hard drive or upgrading to a faster CPU.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »

I've had to get the license re-validated after just changing a single item like a failing hard drive or upgrading to a faster CPU.

Swapping the HDD from my ShuttlePC into a new system with different processor (Intel vs AMD), different video card, more RAM, etc, didn't require anything but an online revalidation (didn't have to call).  Upgrading my video card and migrating to SSD didn't require anything at all.

I upgraded my kids' PC (Win7 Home) to a larger HDD and the system didn't squawk at all.

I'm not sure what the threshold is for requiring a call to MS or a new license, but I haven't hit it yet. 

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
I'm not sure what the thresholds are, either, Chris.  It has been widely variable in my experience.  Change a bunch of stuff and nary a peep.  Change a single item and validate online or on the phone.  It is weird, for sure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »

I've never yet had any version of Windows require re-validation for a hard disk swap.  Usually what I'm doing is a cloning to a new, with a repair install (or "in place upgrade") if necessary.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
I've never yet had any version of Windows require re-validation for a hard disk swap.  Usually what I'm doing is a cloning to a new, with a repair install (or "in place upgrade") if necessary.

I had to do one this morning.  I run Win 7 Pro at work and my HD took a dump, OS wouldn't boot.  I suspect I'm getting some bad blocks.  Anyhoo... grab an SSD that I was meaning to transition to and installed the OS on that.  I had to validate by phone.

Although what's really weird is the phone validation now has an option at the beginning to just text you a link that you can open on your smart phone and then complete the process via the web.

How/why this is different than the automatic validation is a mystery to me. 

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
here's an interesting one....
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 12:58:08 AM »
Yeah, it'll notify you....how, exactly?  :facepalm:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour