Author Topic: Homophobes are afraid of the same?  (Read 30960 times)

stevelyn

• friend
Homophobes are afraid of the same?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 05:44:40 PM »
Did anyone here choose their form of sexual expresion.
I was born a womanizer. I can't help it, I'm genetically encoded to be that way. It's a leftover from evolution.Cheesy
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »
Living our lives on a daily basis is all about choices.  If one is realtively sane, one chooses everything one does at some point.  Sometimes those choices become habits and are no longer considered part of one's moral spectrum because we become hardened to them.  But whatever the habit is, it was a choice at some point.    (About the relatively sane comment.  I once talked with a Shrink friend who specialized in multiple personalities.  I said that I thought we all had multiple personalities in that we were one at work, another at play, another at home with loved ones and perhaps another one that only we knew.  He agreed, but said the trouble came in when we started to give each one a different name. heh.)

Regarding homosexuality:  A person may or may not have to make a judgment about that.  My personal judgement is this:  I am heterosexual.  But I choose not to go around wearing my sexuality on my sleeve.  My sexuality is mine.  It is no one else's business.  Folks who choose to make a public issue about what they do in the bedroom (or anywhere for that matter) or that they prefer to be titilated this way or that way, or to dress in a fashion that is suggestive of their proclivity risk being judged by those who do not agree.  Just as I have never felt the need to stand on the street corner and announce my sexual preferences, I am perplexed by those who do, who then wonder why they sometimes are shunned or worse.
To have a discussion about things of this nature on a forum on the internet is a horse of another color, though.  It perhaps is a good place to find out things that help one make choices because it can be discussed with other people with no risk.  A good thing imho.

I personally find the human condition full of behavior that is "sinful".  Sin is described in many places.  I think it is known by all who are sane without having to be told.  Since I have been intimately aquainted with what I consider to be "sinful behavior" in my own life, I am quite careful not to indulge in throwing rocks at those who I believe to be sinners.  The rock might just bounce of and strike me.

I would rather try and live my life in a fashion that causes others to not shun me or vilify me.  As a Christian, example speaks louder than accusation and confrontation.  In the end, each will have to stand judgment alone based on his choices.  (or not, as some believe, and I leave you to keep to that if you wish)
I agree with Preacherman in that I believe that there are absolutes.  The problem is living up to them.  Thank God for Grace.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

griz

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »
the trouble came in when we started to give each one a different name.
cheesy That's great. Might even be true for all I know.

Getting back to the topic, I have a friend who says he isn't bothered by gays but "doesn't like to have it shoved in his face".  (Grampster, what you said reminded me of him, I'm not trying to imply this as your belief) But further talk showed that he wasn't talking about gay pride parades, he isn't comfortable with the knowledge that someone was gay.

Although I can't claim to speak for gay people, I can see a problem when they feel like hiding their identity is required for mere acceptance. Maybe that's the problem. In case I'm not clear, imagine someone you know from work. They have never told you they were married, but I'll bet you guessed it within a week of working with them. Beyond the family pictures, there are phone calls, refrences to "we" are going to whereever, you get the idea. Can you see how it would be a burden to hide that?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »
Just out of curiosity - if my believing that same-sex sexual activity (as opposed to feelings) is immoral makes me a homophobe, what sort of "phobe" describes my belief that fornication and adultery are immoral?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Strings

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »
Guess I always looked at it more as the person in question's actions. Preacherman believes that homosexual activity is "morally wrong". Howevere, I can't picture him acting in any way against a gay man (unless provoked). Compare that to Rev Phelps...

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »
Stand,

sexual immoral-a-phobe. Wink

Which raises a good point, it's the behaviours that matter in terms of "rightness" and "wrongness".

Wherever your desires (sexual in this case) come from, genetics, nurture or sources to be determined later, my belief system states that you are absolutely able to control how you act on those desires.

The appropriateness of those actions will be determined by your personal moral beliefs, which in many folks cases are absolute because of their source.  In my particular case, sexual activity outside of marriage is immoral, straight or not.  Which, while strict, is at least not hypocritical.

However, it leads to the obvious conumdrum that, since there is no basis in the foundations of my belief for gay marriage, persons who have desires for their own sex have no moral outlet to physically act on that desire.

So, in order to be "accepting" or "inclusive" of certain actions I would be logically forced to deny my own beliefs, which form the foundation of who I am.  The closest I can come is "tolerance", while continuing to vote and act on my beliefs in the loving way I am expected to.

If I end up voting in the minority and the law is changed, so be it; but I can no more change my faith than (apparently) some people can change their sexual nature.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2005, 07:18:36 PM »
Did anyone here choose their form of sexual expression?
Yep. As far as I'm concerned, sexual expression is all about choices, some large, some small.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 07:52:35 PM »
Kace,

The behavior of the co-workers that you describe sounds pretty rough and also un-Christian.

I am one of those "bad" Christians, and we are indeed "'proper' Christians" in our disapproval of homosexuality.  Christian doctrine is defined by the Bible, and whether one takes a predominately literalist or symbolic interpretation of it, the Bible at least takes a very dim view of homosexuality.   However, "proper" Christianity is neither intolerant, nor close-minded, and it is somewhat reductionist to say that someone is close-minded or intolerant merely because they disagree with you on one issue.  

The Bible nowhere teaches that homosexuals are "out to get" the rest of us, or that they should be singled out for ill-treatment.  That I am aware, no major denomination teaches that the Old Testament laws for punishing homosexuals or witches should apply to Christians today.  These were the legal code of a Jewish theocracy which perished long ago.  And if Jesus meant for us to love even our enemies, we must also love the homosexual coworker that is not our enemy.

But I wonder what you mean by "intolerant."  In order for a person to be tolerant, do they have to get along with you or do they have to approve of your homosexuality?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 08:11:16 PM »
see, I always understood it as "God loves the sinner, but hates the sin". As for tolerance, the phrase "we'll agree to disagree" fairly well sums it up IMNSHO...

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 04:40:57 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
The reason other examples are "fuzzy" is because there can no agreement since morality is relative and personal.
Well, that's where we differ,
Differ about the characteristics of morality or differ about whether "there can be no agreement" (which was my point)? Since morality is relative and personal (obviously), there can be no agreement.

...because I believe that morality is objective and absolute in its broadest sense.  Within that broad sense, yes, each person decides for him- or herself whether a particular action is moral or not:  but I can never agree that morality is situational, relative and non-binding in a wider, societal sense.
I agree that you believe that morality is objective, but you do admit that each person decides each time he acts. I still believe that morality is an opinion. Some here disagree and think that their morals are right and dissenters are insane.

Please note, too, that I'm not only speaking about morality based upon religious revelation:  obviously, since there are many religions, there can hardly be total agreement on faith-based morality.  I believe that there is a "natural law" morality, that is freely available for anyone to discover, and which is universal.  For example:  the Christian commandment "Thou shalt not steal" has a natural law counterpart - one learns that theft is bad when one is the victim of theft!  Thus, if theft is bad when committed against you, it's also clear that it's bad when you commit it against someone else.  This is a logical progression of thought that is clearly objective and universal.
But when the thief commits the theft, he obviously believes that he is doing what is right for him. Thus, there is disagreement on the subject of theft. For instance, many argue that they deserve Social Security, Medicare or food stamps because the people from whom the money is stolen seem to have more than the recipient.

On a more complex subject such as homosexuality, I believe there is also a natural-law objectivity available.  As I've frequently pointed out to prison inmates (most of whom share no particular religious faith, and therefore don't respond well to the "Thou Shalt" or "Thou Shalt Not" type of approach), one can look at human sexuality in terms of the natural functions and processes of the human body.  I have commented on numerous occasions to the effect that "the rectum and the anus form the outlet pipe to the body's sewage system, and are NOT the Tunnel of Love!"  Whilst this gets a laugh, it also makes the very valid point that these portions of anatomy have a "designed function" that has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual activity.  The female vagina, on the other hand, is specifically developed for sexual activity, and the consequence of that activity, the birth of children.  Natural function points to a natural law - sodomy is not "natural" or "normal", and therefore can be said to be objectively outside the "boundaries" of what is "normal" in sexual intercourse.

Of course, there are many who will disagree with me, and they're free to do so:
...due to their differing "morality"...

but I shall not be adopting their perspective, I'm afraid.
O.K., so I won't mention how, since hands are designed to grasp things, it is abnormal to play the violin.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 04:54:06 AM »
Quote from: griz
I just can't go for that Mercedes. It's the same as saying there is no right or wrong. Like Preacherman, I certainly agree with your point that individuals make decisons based on their own "morality". But for a large part of recorded history different and seperate cultures all over the world have largely agreed that premeditated murder for profit is wrong.
So "morals" are a matter of polling or voting rather than being absolute.

As for the rational person fallacy, I would say that the 99+ percent of the population that thinks that murder for profit is immoral are rational. If the murderers truely think their decisions were moral (as opposed to an excuse) then they are insane.
It is still not an argument; it's an assertion that only states that dissenters are crazy because they are in the minority.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 04:57:21 AM »
The killer prefered to kill the spouse and receive the money. He thought he was doing the right thing - the "moral" thing. It was right for him.
I just re-read that and wanted to add this: The killer chose to kill. That does not mean he thought he was doing right. Indeed the ability to identify the action as right or wrong is one of the criteria for the insanity defense.
People always do what they think they should do.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 05:21:29 AM »
Quote from: KaceCoyote
Quote from: The Rabbi
Its called homophobia because racism was taken already.  You can put anyone on the defensive by calling him racist and the homosexual community, seeking the legitimacy and moral high ground the civil rights movement garnered for itself, appropriated an analagous term.
Did anyone here choose their form of sexual expression?
Everyone chooses his form of sexual expression.
I choose to be faithful to my wife.
Preacherman chooses to be celebate.
etc.
I never chose to be queer..
I never chose to lust after large-breasted women either. But I do choose not to pursue them or act on my desires.  You may not be able to choose your desires (although I think people can train themselves to some degree) but you can choose your actions, indeed must.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 05:23:17 AM »
Quote from: fistful
...MercedesRules,

we can't discuss topics like this if people are going to assert, "That's just wrong!"
Why not?  Until you drew it out of him, Preacherman wasn't preaching, just responding to a question from myself and from Atek3.  I'm afraid we can't discuss topics like this if people like you drag us into other topics, as you are trying to do.
Preacherman said "chosen sexual expression" (implying that sexual preference is chosen) and "this depends on the acceptance of moral absolutes - which many folks don't accept today, I'm afraid...", implying that he does accept them. I think these concepts are crucial to the question of whether "homophobe" is a scientific or merely political term.

It doesn't help that you accuse griz of ad hominem, when he said nothing against you or anyone else.
griz stated, "On the other hand, somebody who kills his spouse to collect on the life insurance has committed an immoral act by any rational persons definition."

I didn't say that he said anything against anyone. I stated that he committed an ad hominem fallacy. If I said that, "Anyone that doesn't think cherry lollypops are the best-tasting ones is a nutcase." I would be committing the same fallacy.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 05:55:26 AM »
Everyone chooses his form of sexual expression.
I choose to be faithful to my wife.
Preacherman chooses to be celebate.
Rabbi, I think KaceCoyote misspoke when he said "sexual EXPRESSION."  That's different than sexual ORIENTATION.

You can choose to be faithful, or celibate, or promiscuous.  That's expression.

But you can't choose whether it's Angelina or Brad who makes your heart go pitty pat, or whether when you're in ninth grade it's the captain of the football team or the head cheerleader who makes your palms sweat.  That stuff is hard-wired, you dig?

I was hot for Donny Osmond when I was five, and at no time did I make a conscious decision choosing him over Marie. My brain did it all on its own.  That stuff is involuntary.

griz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 06:29:34 AM »
Mercedes, given that there is no right or wrong, how about this. Do you believe a mother who dispassionately killed her baby is insane or just randomly picked that gruesome path over other equally valid options?

At any rate I suppose we will have to disagree because that seems plainly wrong to me.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 06:54:05 AM »
mercedes,
Do you really accept any one morality as just as good as any other?  Or is yours "better", but you realize that others will have their own ideas?
I still believe that morality is an opinion. Some here disagree and think that their morals are right and dissenters are insane.
Okay ... so in your opinion is someone who likes to smack kids around with the owie-side of a running lawnmower until they're just smears on the grass just as sane as you or I?  And are his activities are just as "moral" as the guy across town who is using his mower for the decidedly less bloody purposes of trimming his lawn since both think what they're doing is "right"?

If you believe that no one can be held accountable to any standard for their actions since not everyone will agree on what is moral, do you also believe that all punishment (from fines to jail to execution) is wrong?  After all, you wouldn't want to force your opinion on someone else, would you?

But if you believe that there is something inherently wrong with torturing and murdering a child then we're back to at least some form of morality that governs human interaction.  Where you think that comes from, and the specifics of what it says about buggery are immaterial.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 07:40:38 AM »
Mercedes, given that there is no right or wrong, how about this. Do you believe a mother who dispassionately killed her baby is insane or just randomly picked that gruesome path over other equally valid options?
I don't know.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 08:20:40 AM »
Quote from: cordex
mercedes,
Do you really accept any one morality as just as good as any other?
If you mean do I endorse all actions taken by all persons, no.  

Or is yours "better", but you realize that others will have their own ideas?
Yes. I'm working on making my behavior perfect.  Smiley

I still believe that morality is an opinion. Some here disagree and think that their morals are right and dissenters are insane.
Okay ... so in your opinion is someone who likes to smack kids around with the owie-side of a running lawnmower until they're just smears on the grass just as sane as you or I?
That's a suspicious thing to do but it doesn't tell me anything about his sanity. I have a very skeptical view of "mental illness". I prefer to judge behavior rather than sanity. But it is very hard to judge it knowing only a few facts about the example. Maybe the "kid" pulled the respirator plug on the mower's mother. If the mower randomly attacks others, he is announcing that he claims no "right" to life himself and could be killed by anyone.

And are his activities are just as "moral" as the guy across town who is using his mower for the decidedly less bloody purposes of trimming his lawn since both think what they're doing is "right"?
He thinks they are.

If you believe that no one can be held accountable to any standard for their actions since not everyone will agree on what is moral, do you also believe that all punishment (from fines to jail to execution) is wrong?  After all, you wouldn't want to force your opinion on someone else, would you?
I never discussed being held accountable. Actions that cause actual losses to innocent, peaceful persons create debts owed to the victims. Calling the acts "wrong" or "immoral" is unnecessary. In the case of this thread, homosexual acts are consensual and harm no one but persons who consented to the risks, if any.

Preacherman

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 09:34:06 AM »
Mercedesrules (I swear one day I'm going to register a username of BMWrules and debate motor vehicles with you! cheesy ), I must respectfully disagree most profoundly with your views on morality.  If I understand you correctly, you're saying that morality in one's choice of action is totally dependent on the individual actor's view of what is (or is not) moral.  In that case, we can't have a society at all - because without concensus on the basis of social morality, anything goes, and anarchy is the result, morally if not politically.  It also destroys any concept of a criminal justice system, because no action can be described as "right" or "wrong" except in the eye of the actor, and therefore can't be punished societally.  You're well within what I'd call the "Fletcher camp" of situation ethics:  the context determines the morality of the action.  This is rejected by almost everybody today, but was wildly popular in the 1960's.

I, on the other hand, believe that there is, at the root of all human ethics, a "natural law" that can be rationally discovered, developed and codified, which governs our actions (or, rather, should govern our actions), and is the basis for law and order, and exists irrespective of situations, circumstances and contextual issues.  Over and above this, there are also many different moral codes founded on religion, philosophy, etc., which are more or less successful, more or less universal, and more or less practical, depending on many factors for their success.  However, the "natural law" morality does feed and inform the other, more "sectarian" codes - for example, every single major religion in the world incorporates the "Golden Rule" ("Do unto others what you would have them do unto you"), in differing expressions, but all expressing the same truth.  Being a person of faith, I would say that this is because God has revealed His truth in many ways, and this fundamental truth has been identified by all major religions.  Other, less religious persons would argue that this is, in fact, a "natural law" moral principle that can be worked out independently of any religion, and has therefore been a fundamental guiding principle that religions have "built in" to their "revelation".  Argue it whichever way you like - it still makes moral sense, doesn't it?

I also must respectfully disagree with you that a person doing something "bad", or immoral, thinks that his/her actions are, in fact, moral and/or good.  This is obviously not the case.  A rapist may carry out his crimes for his own enjoyment, but don't try to tell me that he thinks he's morally right in acting as he does - he obviously recognizes that his actions are immoral and criminal, or he would not seek to conceal them and escape their consequences.  You said earlier:
People always do what they think they should do.
I respectfully submit that this is clearly, obviously false.  A child doesn't think it "ought to" raid the fridge and eat up all the desserts - it knows Mommy and/or Daddy will be mad at it if it does so:  yet it eats them anyway.  A dog will steal a steak and eat it, expecting punishment if and when discovered.  The actors in these situations both know that their actions are wrong, and that they'll be punished for it:  but the dog is acting out of canine instinct, whereas the child is choosing to do something it knows to be wrong, having been informed clearly about this, and understanding it.  A rapist doesn't think he should commit rape:  he rather does so because he wants to commit rape.  Big difference.

There are also moral considerations that go far beyond the individual actors in a situation.  For example, you said:
In the case of this thread, homosexual acts are consensual and harm no one but persons who consented to the risks, if any.
I must disagree.  The consequences can be enormous, and far more widespread than just the two persons involved.  Medically speaking, anal sex is far more risky from the point of view of infection, disease, etc. than normal (i.e. "vaginal") sex.  The skin layers on the inside of the anus are paper-thin compared to the muscles and multiple layers of skin inside the vagina, which is built to take the rough-and-tumble of sex - the anus isn't.  This is why it's so much easier for venereal diseases, AIDS, etc. to infect someone anally rather than vaginally - and this isn't conjecture, it's medical fact, clearly established.  So, by choosing to participate in anal sex (which is the dominant homosexual act, according to most of the authorities I've read), the participants are also choosing to expose themselves to this much, much higher risk of infection.  Furthermore, given the highly promiscuous sexual lifestyle of most homosexuals (and again, this is not a matter of conjecture, but established fact, illustrated by many surveys and authorities), the risk of passing on that infection to others is greatly increased.  This, in turn, imposes life-shortening consequences on many people, which affects their families, costs society a great deal of money, etc.  It also imposes a greater strain on society, in terms of the premature loss of a productive member, etc.  (The same societal consequences are visible in Africa, where heterosexual transmission of AIDS has caused the depopulation of some areas, and the wholesale loss of members of the most productive and important strata of society - for example, Zambia is now training two teachers for every teaching post in the country, expecting to lose one of them to AIDS in due course, which is an enormous economic burden on the country.)

I don't want to limit this to homosexuality, either.  I can cite the example of a friend of mine, a computer executive who went to the Far East on business some years ago.  While there, he had a one-night fling with a prostitute, who, unknown to him, was infected with AIDS.  He came home and went about his life normally, including having sex with his wife, and told no-one of his actions.  Tragically, he infected his wife with AIDS, and in due course, when she became pregnant with their third child, the child was infected in the womb.  The whole story came out when tests during pregnancy disclosed the problem.  I buried his wife and their child, and watched this man go insane with the guilt of knowing that his thoughtless, immoral actions had caused the death of his wife and child.  He died a babbling maniac three years after they'd died.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 10:54:29 AM »
Preacherman,

I see and understand your position, but I must respectfully disagree.  

There are plenty of behaviours that are not, in and of themselves, intrinsically harmful, when engaged in by people who have the mental capacity to decide for themselves what they wish to do:  
Drinking alcohol in moderation.   Driving really really fast on a race track.  Owning and shooting guns.  Having sex (whether "normal" by your definition, or not).

All of the consequences you listed for homosexual activity arise because of secondary behaviours associated with homosexual activity, not because of the activity itself.  

We don't frown on a gun-owner, we frown on someone who abuses his guns by using them to harm the innocent.  
We don't frown on a responsible drinker, we frown on someone who loses control of his drinking and harms the innocent by driving drunk or getting into a drunken brawl or beating up his wife or kids.
We don't frown on race-car drivers, but we would prosecute them if they drove the same way on the public roads and placed innocents in danger.

Why it is, then, that we should frown on two consenting adults having sexual relations in a way they both wish to?  Because one of them might become promiscuous and have fourteen thousand partners and spread AIDS?  Nope, that's a secondary activity.  Because one of them might get a disease and not tell his wife, thereby infecting her (an innocent)?  Nope.  Secondary activity.

If we're going to tell gay people that the sex that they're having consensually is wrong because of what others have done in the past, what moral high ground do we have to then turn around and fight the anti-gun lobby?  It's an incontrovertible fact that guns have been used to kill millions of people over the years, and many of those people were innocent.  Is it therefore morally wrong for me to own one?  We all know it is not, because I cannot be held responsible for the actions of others, nor can I be legitimately penalized for what I might do.

Neither can homosexual partners.

Suppose that two completely disease-free men met, fell in love, and committed to spending their lives together.  They both keep those promises, and are entirely faithful to one another for the rest of their lives.  Suddenly there's no more risk of disease than with a healthy straight couple.  So in this case, is their sex life morally acceptable to you?  Because none of the risks and secondary effects you bring up are a factor here.  Just two consenting adults living their lives and harming no one.

For what it's worth, I'm not actually trying to be antagonistic or attack you personally, Preacherman.  I apologize if this post has seemed overly aggressive.

Namaste,
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Preacherman

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »
Brokenpaw, no problem at all - you make good points.  However, I think I've answered them in my earlier posts.  For a start, there is the concept that an action may be intrinsically wrong - i.e. wrong by its very nature, irrespective of consequences, etc.  From a "natural law" perspective, homosexuality and lesbianism are clearly intrinsically wrong - they warp sexual desire and function away from the intended purpose of that desire and function into avenues that cannot fulfil the object of that desire and function.  Similarly, the use of the anus for sex is clearly intrinsically wrong - it's using the anus for a purpose or function which has nothing to do with what it's designed for.  There are also considerations of religious morality, of course, but since these are not universally accepted, I can't expect you to behave in a way that meets my religious convictions unless you share those same convictions.  I would argue that for Christians, homosexuality and lesbianism are morally unacceptable due to Divine revelation, as well as natural law:  but of course, those who are not Christians, or who reject the idea of binding Divinely-revealed moral law, will disagree with me.

So, from the perspective of moral law, we're not opposing homosexual or lesbian conduct (note that I specify conduct rather than orientation - the latter involves no act, and therefore incurs no moral censure) because of their potential consequences:  we're opposing them because they violate a basic moral principle.  In the same way, we would not oppose gun ownership, or the activities of a driver on a racing track, because of any potential negative consequences stemming from those things - they don't violate any moral principle in and of themselves.  It's the reckless and/or negligent conduct of those involved that would attract censure:  and if there is no morally objectionable conduct, there's nothing to censure.

Suppose that two completely disease-free men met, fell in love, and committed to spending their lives together.  They both keep those promises, and are entirely faithful to one another for the rest of their lives.  Suddenly there's no more risk of disease than with a healthy straight couple.  So in this case, is their sex life morally acceptable to you?  Because none of the risks and secondary effects you bring up are a factor here.  Just two consenting adults living their lives and harming no one.
Your example is thus based on a wrong principle.  I'm not objecting to their homosexual relationship because of the potential consequences of their actions:  I'm saying that the relationship, in its sexual expression (but not, repeat, NOT, in its orientation) violates moral law, irrespective of whether that moral law is natural or religious in its derivation.  It's violating a fundamental human norm.  For that reason, no, such a relationship will never be acceptable to me.  However, I shall continue to regard the participants in such a relationship as my brothers in Christ, and I will not condemn them because of their activities.  I'm as much a sinner, in my own way, as they are in theirs, when compared against the standards set by moral law.  I need God's mercy, forgiveness and grace at least as much as they do.  I will never accept or condone their actions, but I will accept them as fellow sinners in need of grace.  May we all find it!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 01:12:20 PM »
That's a suspicious thing to do but it doesn't tell me anything about his sanity.
You didn't read too closely than.  I'd say the fact that he likes to smack kids to death with motorized lawn equipment is generally indicative of some form of problem
He thinks they are.
Which means precisely what?
If I was color blind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green, it wouldn't mean that they were the same color or shared similar wavelengths.  Just that I was incapable of discerning the difference.  If I pointed at a green tree and proclaimed how red it was it wouldn't be correct even if that's really what I thought.
I never discussed being held accountable.
You didn't, did you?
Actions that cause actual losses to innocent, peaceful persons create debts owed to the victims.
Says who?  Is this some sort of universal principle?  I thought we were agin' such universal principles?  Or is it just calling those universal principles "morals" that we're opposed to?
Calling the acts "wrong" or "immoral" is unnecessary.
Er ... whyzat?
In the case of this thread, homosexual acts are consensual and harm no one but persons who consented to the risks, if any.
Actually, I agree with that much.  Though I find the concept of me being involved in a homosexual relationship unattractive and very distasteful, personally I do not condemn others who have chosen to live that life (note: living that life is different from having that orientation as PM has pointed out).  Not that anyone is seeking my approval, but ...
Any violation of morality engendered by homosexual relationships is a violation of the type wherein the actor or actors have to deal with the consequences themselves and we need not mete out additional punishment.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 01:32:44 PM »
Preacherman,

I too am celibate.  I've been doing some intense research over the pass month, and have before, been celibate for about 10 years now because I wanted to find a loophole and just this past month, after reading and understanding finally, I've decided (realized) that no matter my orientation seems to be, it's not natural law.

(I know that I'm going to really upset some here about that but it does give an explanation of why I did what I did awhile back).

Wayne

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »
I'll leave questions of morality and theology for Preacherman and mercedesrules to dicker about.

The term "homophobe" is appropriate because there are people who have a genuine phobia about homosexuals. I've known many.

Most recent is a neighbor of mine. He's mild as can be, but definitely has a problem with gays. When one of our gay friends visit our house (he knows who they are) he just stares. The funny thing is that I'm 90% certain his oldest daughter is a lesbian. I'm just waiting to see what kind of fireworks erupt four or so years from now if she comes out.

But "homophobe" is much different than believing that homosexuality is wrong. That boils down to religious or moral or philosophical beliefs. While I can believe that homosexuality is counter to the Christian beliefs I was raised upon, I can't hate the homosexual, because that would also run counter to the beliefs I was taught. Besides, many of my gay friends have fewer other vices/sins than I do. Cast the first stone, and all that.

At the same time, I think the gay community does itself a disservice by using the term "homophobe" so freely, since it denigrates the real meaning of the word, just as the use of the term "Nazi" by various political figures denigrates the meaning of the Holocaust.