Author Topic: A couple of interesting Drudge articles  (Read 3077 times)

MechAg94

• friend
A couple of interesting Drudge articles
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
I saw a couple of links on Drudge that surprised me just a little.  I thought I would post them and see if y'all had the same reaction.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100225/D9E3BDBO0.html
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama has upbraided Sen. John McCain for resorting to political "talking points" at a summit Obama organized to resolve fights over a health care overhaul.

After McCain used time there to complain that Obama reneged on a campaign promise to bring "change in Washington," the president bluntly told the Arizona Republican that "we're not campaigning any more. The election is over."

McCain retorted that he's "reminded of that every day."

McCain said people don't understand why health care legislation was produced with dealmaking "behind closed doors." He said Obama promised better governance during the campaign "and what we got was a process you and I both said we would change in Washington."
Am I reading too much into this or did Obama just come right out and say that all his campaign promises were worthless drivel said only to win the election?  Perhaps I should say that he "admitted" it.  I think many of us already knew he wasn't following them.

On another point, this also underscores the issue that Obama has no interest at all in actually giving Republicans anything.  He is only interested in pressuring them to vote for his ideas.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0210/Obama_campaign_arm_focuses_on_talk_radio.html?showall
The Democratic National Committee's Organizing for America has quietly launched an initiative aimed at making Obama supporters' voices heard on the largely conservative airwaves.

"The fate of health reform has been a focus of debate in living rooms and offices, on TV and online — and on talk radio. And since millions of folks turn to talk radio as a trusted source of news and opinions, we need to make sure OFA supporters are calling in with a pro-reform message," says the introduction to the online tool.

The online tool presents users with a radio show discussing political topics, to which supporters can listen live, and the phone number for that station, for when health care comes up. It also offers tips for callers and talking points on the issue.
I had always thought that Democrats and liberal organizations hid the fact that they used "seminar" callers.  It looks like here that they are actively recruiting unpaid campaigners to do just that.  I guess I was mistaken.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: A couple of interesting Drudge articles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
The Leftists are getting more and more desperate.

Which is sorta scary - what will they try when all their tantrums don't get them what they want?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
Am I reading too much into this or did Obama just come right out and say that all his campaign promises were worthless drivel said only to win the election?  Perhaps I should say that he "admitted" it.  I think many of us already knew he wasn't following them.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I got from it.  It's the Obama line: "your argument is valid, but that doesn't matter because I am the President."  Still, I can't believe he said it so bluntly.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
That's not what I got from that statement; the way I read it, he was saying, "John, stop trying to make yourself relevant.  You lost."

Not that I support Obama or what he's doing; I just didn't read that bolded statement the way you did.

Now that you've pointed it out, though, it sort of makes more sense the way you read it.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
That's not what I got from that statement; the way I read it, he was saying, "John, stop trying to make yourself relevant.  You lost."

Not that I support Obama or what he's doing; I just didn't read that bolded statement the way you did.

Now that you've pointed it out, though, it sort of makes more sense the way you read it.

Your take makes sense too; in reality it was probably a little of both.

The main thing is that he refuses to answer a valid point - delivered in a fairly civil manner, by a respectable opponent - and comes off like a playground bully doing it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:12 PM »
"Sure I lied, but you lost, I won.  STFU McCain."  

Something along those lines.

Obama demonstrates his supreme arrogance every day.  I hate to think how bad off we would be if he wasn't.  Just think of all the crappy legislation he and his party could have passed if they half-assed tried to be nice to the Republicans and give them a few crumbs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0bDbYUUhY

Made my blood run cold.  =(

The outright arrogance of the man, the disdain he holds for anyone not in full agreement with him, is astounding.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
My recollection of Bush was that he was just as arrogant, but in a way that people didn't take him quite as seriously.  I could easily imagine Bush saying the exact same thing to a Democrat senator.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
I don't think so, Tyme. For all of Bush's warts, he didn't treat people as Obama has. The look on Obama's face while McCain was talking said it all: shut up, I'm the boss now, and I know what's best.

McCain's points about special favors and interests were 100% valid, but not to the guy who was handing out the special favors.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »
Just wondering: would it be against the law to have a "slap Obama" online game similar to the "slap Hillary" one that made its rounds a few years ago?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »
Just wondering: would it be against the law to have a "slap Obama" online game similar to the "slap Hillary" one that made its rounds a few years ago?
Obviously that would be racist..  or something.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Obviously that would be racist..  or something.
Make sure the slapping hand is half black also.  :D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »
My recollection of Bush was that he was just as arrogant, but in a way that people didn't take him quite as seriously.  I could easily imagine Bush saying the exact same thing to a Democrat senator.
I'm not sure what struck you that way about Bush, but he never had near the numbers in Congress Dems have now.  He couldn't afford to tick off Democrats too much as he needed to get at least a handful of them to vote for his bills.  IMO, the main failure of Obama and Reid is in failing to make enough changes to their bills to get Republicans to go along.  If they had, the media would right now be talking about what a great statesmen Obama is and all that stuff.  IMO, they have screwed up so far thinking they had the numbers to do whatever they wanted.  It remains to be seen if they will do something different in the next year.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »

I don't think he was *quite* as bad, but I do remember "I'm the decider."  Point taken.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
how about a flash game of, "which drug"? it shows different obama expressions and you have to guess.... [popcorn]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
I'm not going to stand up too much for Bush, but IIRC his arrogance was in issues that were at least theoretically related to national security.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin