Author Topic: A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.  (Read 2501 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison. And he feels ‘vindicated’ by Snowden leaks.

Just one major telecommunications company refused to participate in a legally dubious NSA surveillance program in 2001. A few years later, its CEO was indicted by federal prosecutors. He was convicted, served four and a half years of his sentence and was released this month.

Prosecutors claim Qwest CEO Joseph Nacchio was guilty of insider trading, and that his prosecution had nothing to do with his refusal to allow spying on his customers without the permission of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. But to this day, Nacchio insists that his prosecution was retaliation for refusing to break the law on the NSA's behalf.

After his release from custody Sept. 20, Nacchio told the Wall Street Journal that he feels "vindicated" by the content of the leaks that show that the agency was collecting American's phone records.

Nacchio was convicted of selling of Qwest stock in early 2001, not long before the company hit financial troubles. However, he claimed in court documents that he was optimistic about the firm's ability to win classified government contracts — something they'd succeeded at in the past. And according to his timeline, in February 2001 — some six months before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — he was approached by the NSA and asked to spy on customers during a meeting he thought was about a different contract. He reportedly refused because his lawyers believed such an action would be illegal and the NSA wouldn't go through the FISA Court. And then, he says, unrelated government contracts started to disappear.

His narrative matches with the warrantless surveillance program reported by USA Today in 2006 which noted Qwest as the lone holdout from the program, hounded by the agency with hints that their refusal "might affect its ability to get future classified work with the government." But Nacchio was prevented from bringing up any of this defense during his jury trial — the evidence needed to support it was deemed classified and the judge in his case refused his requests to use it.

From a 2007 article in Harper's, when the MSM was much more interested in gov't abuse of powers & criminality:
Let’s put this in sharper focus. Nacchio discovered that the NSA was engaged in a project to gather warrantless surveillance data on millions of Americans. He took advice of counsel. His lawyers told him, correctly, that this was illegal. They probably also warned him that if Qwest participated in the program, it would be committing a felony. So Nacchio said, no, sorry, I can’t work with you on this. But I can help if you want to change the law. And the reaction of the NSA? It was, apparently, to cut Qwest out of a series of contract awards by way of retaliation. (If that charge sticks, it would probably be yet another felony.) And the second reaction? To try to build a criminal case against Nacchio as a means of retaliation against him. (And if that charge sticks, it would probably be yet a third felony–on the part of the Government officials who did it). We are seeing the Government engaging in a sweeping pattern of criminal dealings, and ultimately, one of the biggest crimes of all, abusing the criminal justice process to strike out at an individual who refused to play their crooked game. Oh, and by the way: who was heading the NSA when all of this transpired? Michael Hayden, the man who now runs the CIA, and is busily dismantling the CIA Inspector General’s office because it has apparently raised questions about potentially criminal conduct on his watch there, too.
At the same meeting, N.S.A. officials made an additional proposal, whose exact nature is not made clear in the censored documents. “The court has prohibited Mr. Nacchio from eliciting testimony regarding what also occurred at that meeting,” one of the documents states. Another passage says: “The court has also refused to allow Mr. Nacchio to demonstrate that the agency retaliated for this refusal by denying the Groundbreaker and perhaps other work to Qwest.”

In the past I would have been very skeptical that a businessman was hounded and politically prosecuted for refusing to enable police-state action.  I am much less skeptical nowadays of such claims.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
Re: A CEO who resisted NSA spying is out of prison.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
But, but but.... the NSA is keeping you safe from trrrrists! 9/11 !!!!!11111
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
I hope he writes a tell-all book and he makes lots of money over it and it embarrasses people.  He needs to name names.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
In the past I would have been very skeptical that a businessman was hounded and politically prosecuted for refusing to enable police-state action.  I am much less skeptical nowadays of such claims.

It was common knowledge at DISA, which administrates extremely large telco contracts for the DOD and intel community. Qwest was persona non grata for refusing to play ball.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
I don't buy the "connection" at all between NSA and his conviction.

Had NSA wanted to deal with it, he simply would have disappeared.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
I don't buy the "connection" at all between NSA and his conviction.

Had NSA wanted to deal with it, he simply would have disappeared.

Uhm. Why would you want to black bag the guy? Then folks don't know what happened. Maybe he's in Costa Rica, maybe he committed suicide, maybe the wife's boyfriend bumped him off. Putting the CEO in prison on blatantly bumpkis charges shows raw power. Short of extremely blatant criminal activity, you only put a CEO of a megacorp in prison to send a political message. Otherwise, they buy their away out of it or get a slap on the wrist.

Again. Everyone at DISA knew about it, who arranged it, and what message was being sent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
Is Qwest/CenturyLink still on the shytlist?

Inquiring consumers want to know.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
Uhm. Why would you want to black bag the guy? Then folks don't know what happened. Maybe he's in Costa Rica, maybe he committed suicide, maybe the wife's boyfriend bumped him off. Putting the CEO in prison on blatantly bumpkis charges shows raw power. Short of extremely blatant criminal activity, you only put a CEO of a megacorp in prison to send a political message. Otherwise, they buy their away out of it or get a slap on the wrist.

Absolutely.
Black bagging and death squads is backwaters banana republic stuff. Controlling the corporations, congressmen and whatever SCOTUS Justices you need, is real power. The power is applied by simply enforcing or more importantly, not enforcing laws at will.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
Absolutely.
Black bagging and death squads is backwaters banana republic stuff. Controlling the corporations, congressmen and whatever SCOTUS Justices you need, is real power. The power is applied by simply enforcing or more importantly, not enforcing laws at will.

<insert Aynn Rand quote>
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
I skimmed this story in my free edition of the WSJ, before it went to the wood stove, and only saw he was convicted of insider trading.  Martha Stewart came to mind, as did Ruby Ridge.  Don't play ball, they take you down.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:18:06 PM »
He was made an object lesson to those in the industry who had no doubt experienced the same telephone calls.  No one else needed to know the real reality.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
Good chance Qwest cooperated with the NSA during the 2002 winter olympics in SLC:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56794314-90/nsa-report-lake-salt.html.csp

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
"Uhm. Why would you want to black bag the guy?"

Uhm.

How did you get from my rather innocuous statement and make the totally illogical leap to my wanting to black bag the guy?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
"Uhm. Why would you want to black bag the guy?"

Uhm.

How did you get from my rather innocuous statement and make the totally illogical leap to my wanting to black bag the guy?

No, no, not you personally. Generic you, impersonal you or indefinite you. As in "Why would any person want to black bag the guy".

I sincerely doubt anyone would reasonably believe you go around black bagging folks.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
How did you get from my rather innocuous statement and make the totally illogical leap to my wanting to black bag the guy

Everyone here fears you.  >:D

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »
Everyone here fears you.  >:D

Nah, they just suspect that is what he did as the HOA Honcho to the guy who painted his garage door fuchsia.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton