Author Topic: A Constitutional Right to Facebook and Twitter?  (Read 1679 times)

MechAg94

• friend
A Constitutional Right to Facebook and Twitter?
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/politics/supreme-court-north-carolina-sex-offenders-social-media.html?referer=https://t.co/oUl0qwm7Fy&_r=0

A Supreme Court argument on Monday about whether North Carolina may bar registered sex offenders from using Facebook, Twitter and similar services turned into a discussion of how thoroughly social media have transformed American civic discourse.
And this is about registered sex offenders, not necessarily all pedophiles or rapists 
Some of the quotes mentioned indicate some of the SC Justices see it as a free speech issue. 
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said that social media sites had become, and in some ways had surpassed, the public square as a place for discussion and debate.

“The sites that Justice Kagan has described and their utility and the extent of their coverage are greater than the communication you could have ever had, even in the paradigm of public square,” Justice Kennedy said.

Tom Gresham tweeted this article out wondering if a free speech ruling could be used to stop twitter and Facebook from banning gun related stuff.  Or many of the other things they ban people for now that I think about it.  I guess it depends on how the ruling goes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A Constitutional Right to Facebook and Twitter?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
If I have a right to publish on Facebook and Twitter, don't I also have a right to have my every whim printed by the New York Times, and published by Oxford University Press, etc? Will peer-reviewed journals have to publish every paper they receive?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
Tom Gresham tweeted this article out wondering if a free speech ruling could be used to stop twitter and Facebook from banning gun related stuff.  Or many of the other things they ban people for now that I think about it.  I guess it depends on how the ruling goes.

He's going at that wrong. Facebook doesn't have any obligation to give users any free speech protections as a private company. The question is can a government entity as part of criminal punishment impose restrictions on free speech. I think they can to an extent. In this case I'm not really sure without knowing more about if the punishment fits the crime. I've become skeptical of sex offender laws with many examples I've seen of their use in many cases that don't really seem appropriate.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:44:13 PM »
the founding fathers never envisioned the internet

free speech protections apply solely to crying in the town square, and using quill and paper.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 02:24:39 AM »
the founding fathers never envisioned the internet

free speech protections apply solely to crying in the town square, and using quill and paper.

Utter radical bullshat.
The manual/mechanical printing press was widely used in that time period, 1st Amendment included Freedom of the press, which obviously meant the printing press so in addition to your limitations manual/mechanical printing presses are also covered.
=D

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Utter radical bullshat.
The manual/mechanical printing press was widely used in that time period, 1st Amendment included Freedom of the press, which obviously meant the printing press so in addition to your limitations manual/mechanical printing presses are also covered.
=D

As long as they are hand-cranked.... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
As long as they are hand-cranked.... ;)

Speaking of which, who else here is old enough to remember cranking the mimeograph back in elementary/junior/high school? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
Speaking of which, who else here is old enough to remember cranking the mimeograph back in elementary/junior/high school? 

And the smell of the purple ink ??  Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....  Everyone volunteered for that job..
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »

That would be me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »
That would be me.

Ditto :D

Explanation of joke ↓

Ditto machine (Spirit duplicator):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator

Mimeograph:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimeograph
"The mimeograph process should not be confused with the spirit duplicator process."

Used both.

Also used  clay tablets.  They don't smell.  Are they also protected?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:27:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »

:old: (Raises hand)

I also remember typing orders on mimeograph stencils when I was a company clerk in the Army.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design