Author Topic: Caterpiller, John Deere, 3M, AK Steel, AT&T...  (Read 13390 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Caterpiller, John Deere, 3M, AK Steel, AT&T...
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »
How much is the new health care bill going to cost businesses?  So far, the following companies have announced new charges appearing in their accounting statements to reflect the costs of Obamacare:

Caterpiller: $100 million

John Deere: $150 million

3M:  $85 million

AK Steel:  $31 million

AT&T:  $1 billion (!)

Valero Energy:  $15 million

Honeywell:  ~$35 million

I'm sure we'll hear from moar companies in the coming weeks...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Caterpiller, John Deere, 3M, AK Steel, AT&T...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »

UTC is gonna get nailed for at least half a billion, just from that $2k per employee tax.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
Invacare has stated that if this passed, they would pull up stakes and move to Mexico, as they would no longer be profitable under Pbocare's taxes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:30:57 AM by Bigjake »

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
Hmmm, it might not be a bad idea to buy some "in the money" puts on these if I can find out which reporting period they are going to report the liability...  (Although looking at 3M, it looks like it might already be priced in?)  Something to ponder though.   ???

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
Are those charges for current and future retiree medical benefits?   Boy, other than some union people, I wonder who gets retiree medical benefits any more.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Wow, that's money that they cannot/will not be used to hire new employees with, that could go into R&D, employee wages or stock dividends to investors.  This will mean higher priced products to you and I.  Lower wages to current employees or at the least a pay freeze.

Thank you obama.  Trickle down poverty.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
and more jobs moving away from free? states. :facepalm: well i guess THE obama really did help the poor,,,,,,,,,,, in mexico and china. =|

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:47:06 PM »
Heh.  I mentioned something like this to a buddy of mine yesterday.
I told him that the new bill will basically tax everybody.
His response was, "They only tax people who make a certain amount and you and I will never ever make that much."
Then I told him that if he thought we wouldn't be effected by our employers being taxed this much he was dumb.
His response to that was, "Pfft, yea, the only thing it'll do to them will make them maybe not break profit records every year."
I wasn't sure he was serious, until he told me to stop watching that Faux News BS.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:39 PM »
"Pfft, yea, the only thing it'll do to them will make them maybe not break profit records every year."

Oh, Democrats.  They want prosperity, they just don't want anyone to be prosperous. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »

Oh, Democrats.  They want prosperity, they just don't want anyone to be prosperous. 
Yea, he worked for Wal-Mart for a very long time.  He pretty much detests big businesses.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »
Boy, other than some union people, I wonder who gets retiree medical benefits any more. 
My mother gets medical benefits thanks to my late father's pension arrangements.

My current employer offers retiree medical benefits as part of the pension program, provided you retire before 2013; that was the arrangement when I was hired. Retire after that and retiree medical is sharply curtailed. (I can take an early retirement in 2012, but would get shafted on my pension - plenty of years of service, but I'm still too young. So I'm getting screwed either way.  :mad: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
AT&T has already been cutting head count, both union and non union workers.
I expect it to continue. Being pretty low on the totem pole I'll be surprised if I don't get hit before the year is out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »
Invacare has stated that if this passed, they would pull up stakes and move to Mexico, as they would no longer be profitable under Pebocare's taxes.

Enough of this PEBO crap.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
AT&T has already been cutting head count, both union and non union workers.
I expect it to continue. Being pretty low on the totem pole I'll be surprised if I don't get hit before the year is out.

So was/is Verizon, which was one of the motivating factors in my leaving.  I wasn't under immediate threat, and with a clearance, was fairly valuable to them.  Still, I went looking and found a better job for more money, so it's all good.

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704100604575146002445136066.html

Oh, the Democrats are angry about this, too...

Meanwhile, Henry Waxman and House Democrats announced yesterday that they will haul these companies in for an April 21 hearing because their judgment "appears to conflict with independent analyses, which show that the new law will expand coverage and bring down costs."

So, these companies are REQUIRED by the SEC to disclose changes to their long term expenses or face criminal charges. But since it is politically inconvenient for the Democrats, they're going to bring them before congress to try to crucify them.

Hmm... I always wondered what the beginnings of a Latin-American thugocracy would feel like.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
...or at the least a pay freeze.

My pay's already frozen, this just means it'll be frozen longer or frozen until my employer axes my division to cut costs in order to pay for the healthcare, melting my pay to zero.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704100604575146002445136066.html

Oh, the Democrats are angry about this, too...

So, these companies are REQUIRED by the SEC to disclose changes to their long term expenses or face criminal charges. But since it is politically inconvenient for the Democrats, they're going to bring them before congress to try to crucify them.

Hmm... I always wondered what the beginnings of a Latin-American thugocracy would feel like.

I feel warm and fuzzy, like the gentle glow of a ray of sunshine. Benovolency makes everyone feel like this.

Seriously though:

were these costs longterm (20 years) or per year for the forseeable future? I must have missed that part... 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Enough of this PEBO crap.   

He called the tune, I'm just mocking it.

Besides, I'm lacking a better term for this nonsense.  "Pelosi Care"  gives the harpy way too much credit,  It's Obama's baby.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
Why do you think Obama thought it necessary to hit the campaign trail to convince the subjects of the value of his health legislation.  He knew the charges were coming because company lobbyists said so.  All things considered it may be fortunate the impact was so soon; just to keep the taxpayer's interest from waning.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 12:32:20 AM »
there's always P.BO =D or about 15 names i ain't going to post. [popcorn] let's just say he would prefer P.BO. :angel:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »
President Elect Barack Obama = PEBO, PEBOcare

Problem being, he is no longer president elect, he is the actual, "took oath of office" POTUS.

IMO, BHO deserved ribbing for his "Office of the President Elect," but that time is past.

Now, PBOcare is accurate, as is BOcare.  CommieCare is nice & provocative. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

Now, PBOcare is accurate, as is BOcare.  CommieCare is nice & provocative. 

Those are pretty good substitutes.

my original, offensive post has been modified  ;/

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
Not to point out the obvious but we actually have a stickied thread at the top of this forum about using derisive nicknames ie. Nicknames... McStain, Hitlery, George W Fistful, etc....
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
Semantics.

I'm not comparing the guy to mass murderers or commie dictators (redundant)  I'm using the name that the arrogant wanker gave himself. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
So now we're calling the president a wanker? That's even more of an insult than the other names in this thread.