Author Topic: Tax Meat Like We Tax Cigarettes  (Read 1969 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tax Meat Like We Tax Cigarettes
« on: March 17, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Over my dead body. From my cold, dead hands. This means war. Death to tyrants.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/03/17/experts-call-for-a-sin-tax-on-meat-just-like-cigarettes-poor-hardest-hit/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
Re: Tax Meat Like We Tax Cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
Over my dead body. From my cold, dead hands. This means war. Death to tyrants.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/03/17/experts-call-for-a-sin-tax-on-meat-just-like-cigarettes-poor-hardest-hit/

I’m all for it. Those special taxes on tobacco and liquor shouldn’t even be constitutional. Taxes should affect everybody more or less equally or not be legal. Maybe now people will start to see that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
I'll continue to grow my own. I've got about 600# of pork on the hoof heading to butcher on Monday.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
I'll continue to grow my own. I've got about 600# of pork on the hoof heading to butcher on Monday.

Prohibition II: Farmageddon

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Much more of this nonsense and Star Chambers will not only start making sense but will be fun to watch.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »

Growing your own food is certainly a gateway drug to despising any and all government. I don't smoke and I've often pondered growing a few tobacco plants just because I can.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »

Enjoy it while it's legal.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
Enjoy it while it's legal.

Around here telling people they can't produce their own food would be a good way to kick off the revolution.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
Around here telling people they can't produce their own food would be a good way to kick off the revolution.

You're not wrong...

I'll fight over arms confiscation.  On principal, whatever.  They can't have my rifle.

You want my sirloin?  What Ben said.  Sic semper tyrannis, bitches.   Game on,  medium rare.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 11:53:00 PM »

I remember that several decades ago, at least one politician actually proposed outlawing backyard gardens, on the grounds that people growing their own food hurt farmers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
Wickard v. Filburn.
Farmer grows "extra" wheat for personal use, runs afould of commerce clause.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/07/05/156232075/the-farmer-and-the-commerce-clause

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 05:36:09 AM »
I'm a vegetarian, practically vegan except for cheese & a lack of preachiness, and even I think such a tax would be wrong.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
The article is pretty interesting.   [popcorn]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »
Growing your own food is certainly a gateway drug to despising any and all government. I don't smoke and I've often pondered growing a few tobacco plants just because I can.

They can be quite pretty, and relatively low-maintenance if you have the right soil and climate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »
It's the proper curing that is the tough part.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »
It's the proper curing that is the tough part.

Right.  In some ways, perique was easier than others once I got a good press made.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
I'm a vegetarian, practically vegan except for cheese & a lack of preachiness, and even I think such a tax would be wrong.

In a quick skim of the article, it doens't appear to mention vegetarian or vegan.  The reasoning is all about global warming when you get right down to it.  

I notice you don't hear any of these people talking about restricting food stamp/welfare purchase of unhealthy foods.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
I remember that several decades ago, at least one politician actually proposed outlawing backyard gardens, on the grounds that people growing their own food hurt farmers.
The National Recovery Act was part of Roosevelt's New Deal.  At least I think that was the one that had people going onto farms and killing livestock and destroying crops.  It was declared unconstitutional I believe. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
They can be quite pretty, and relatively low-maintenance if you have the right soil and climate.

I was pretty much under the impression that tobacco plants looked like cabbage or something.  Maybe I should try growing a few.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 09:02:47 PM »
The National Recovery Act was part of Roosevelt's New Deal.  At least I think that was the one that had people going onto farms and killing livestock and destroying crops.  It was declared unconstitutional I believe. 

Was that when they would destroy milk trucks?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »
Was that when they would destroy milk trucks?
I don't know.  I just remember seeing NRA posters in the history book and it wasn't the National Rifle Association.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 12:09:13 AM »
They can have my steak after it passes through my digestive system.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
I was pretty much under the impression that tobacco plants looked like cabbage or something.  Maybe I should try growing a few.

It's easily dwarfed, both by breeding and by close spacing.  With 24" spacing, I was getting 6-7' tall plants with leaves as big as 12x24".

Flowers range from white to pink or purple, depending on breed.  Leaves will be anywhere from dark green to a light yellow-green.  They will yellow and then may go deep brown and still supple (which some growers will smoke or chew directly from the plant - it's not bad, but won't keep past a day or two without curing) or dry out and rot depending on environment.

This grower has some insect damage, but if you're not using the leaves, you can spray with whatever to prevent that.