Author Topic: Compound bow question.  (Read 1079 times)

Jim147

• friends
Compound bow question.
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
My father got my daughter a bow to use for 4H this year. It is a Mirage with 15-70# draw weight and 19-31" length. It seems well built and should last her for years but I ran into a problem trying to set it up for her today.

At the lowest draw and weight setting it is a 25# draw weight. She can just get it back. With 75% let off she has no problem once drawn but afraid she will get worn out pulling that weight.

Does anyone know if I set it up for me and use it for a day will it drop the draw weight for her?

Three weeks until 4H starts so need to know if I need to send this bow back and find her a different one asap.

Thanks

Jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Compound bow question.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »
Haven't done archery for over 30 years, but as my arthritis worsened, I found I could shoot a borrowed 35# bow a lot better than my regular 55# ones.  (This was before compound bows got popular.)

FWIW, there's an indoor archery range hereabouts I discovered recently:

http://www.rmsgear.com/
Contact information
 Address: 4298 Kipling St, Unit B, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
 Phone: 877-843-5559
 E-mail: tlc@rmsgear.com

Don't know for sure, but I doubt leaving it strung for you and using it that way would reduce the overall weight enough to matter for your daughter.  What might work better is for her to practice with it, thereby making her stronger.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:56:04 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
I tore a rotator cuff back in '98 so have been limited on my bow usage for years had to turn my bow weight down low. I've used a crossbow the last two years but I just like to sit in the woods and watch them  walk by. Draging and cleaning big game is hard for someone healthy much less me. I just hope me using it would work it in a little so it might come down in weight.

She is doing reps with hand weight and will be trying to pull this bow back tomorrow but we have little time until the first shoot.

jim

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »
The worst thing you can do to a beginning archer is to start them with a bow to heavy for them.
Even a compound with high let off. The initial "too heavy" pull can lead to developing bad form and more importantly can cause muscle and joint injury.
Start them with a bow they can pull straight back with the arrow pointing down range. Always keep the muzzle/arrow pointing in a safe direction.
If they have to heave the bow up and pull down it is too heavy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
Green loading screen of death trying to quote you larry.

I agree with you on draw weight. Her old bow was 15# but is too short of draw. If this one would turn down as low as advertised it would work great.

I need to find out if this bow just has out of spec limbs or if I can break it in for her.

jim

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:55:45 PM »
On a compound bow there really shouldn't be any "breaking in", certainly not enough to significantly affect the draw weight. either something hasn't been set right or there is something else "not right".
engage the Googler and look up the model and see what you can find.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »
If you can, find an archery shop or one of the big outdoor chains.  Take her and the bow in to see one of the archery pros to get it tuned and setup for her.

Then send me the bill.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:49:22 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I am meeting with a guy tomorrow but all my googlefo is saying I might be picking up a little smaller bow this week.

jim

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
Get it restrung with a longer string?

It  would be cheaper than a whole new bow, and would preserve the "gift" aspect of it.  But I don't know if there's time for that.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 04:15:33 PM »
I meet up with the instructor today. He has run into this problem before. What he does is put in a press take the string off then pull a limb bolt. If it is long enough to safely turn out anouther turn he does it if not he gets another bolt with a couple more threads on it.

Won't be able to find out until Friday or Saturday. She has basketball tonight, soccer Tuesday and Wednesday and then basketball again on Thursday. (I'm getting to old to be out late every night.)

He thinks we should change out a couple things the bow came with but thought we could do it on the cheap since the other pieces seem pretty good.

Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

jim