Author Topic: Need a primer on Mausers.  (Read 1305 times)

dogmush

• friend
Need a primer on Mausers.
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
I'm moving forward with my desire to have a WWII vintage main pistol and service rifle from the US, UK, Germans, USSR, and Japanese.   Last gunshow I picked up a nice No4 Mk1 and the next rifle on the list is Germany's.

My understanding is the K98 became the main service rifle in 1935, and carried them through the war as the main Infantry Rifle.  So that's what I'm looking for.  On first glance there seems to be a dizzying array of Mauser variants from a variety of places and "transitional" configurations.  I'm not trying to become a Mauser expert, nor do I need one of each variant, but I'd like a nice example of one that was carried by your basic Wehrmacht grunt.

Does anyone know of a site, forum or article I can go read that will give me the basics on the K98, and some marking decoding tips so I know what I'm looking at as I canvass the gunshows.  So far Central Florida is a great historical shopping area.  Every gunshow I've been to has Rommel's personal rifle.  Sometimes two of them.  =D

Just trying to go in with some knowledge of what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Need a primer on Mausers.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Mitchell's!!!!  [popcorn]

No really, just kidding.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
This forum has two, yes two, subforums on Mausers. The Military Mauser and The K98 Mauser forum. If you can't learn something there then you just need to give it up. ;)

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
Seems a shame, but this will work:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »
sigh.

ˈprimər  not  ˈprīmər, bedlamite.  Philistine.  :laugh:

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
Mitchell's!!!!  [popcorn]

No really, just kidding.

What's your address so I can send you the therapy bill for making me think of "M---------  M-------"    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »
The vast variety of Mauser rifles out there is truly mind boggling.   I had bought a k98 *years* ago.  And I knew that it was a Yugoslav Mauser, so I was under the assumption that it was a M48 - full on Yugo clone of a K98.   It was only when I was digging into it more (decided to sell it as it was a safe queen that I never shot anymore) that I learned what it actually was.   A Yugoslav re-arsenal of a German k98.  So *that* was an interesting thing to learn....

So yeah.  There's about a million and one variants.   Good luck drinking from *that* firehose.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
I don't think the M48 is a clone of the K98. The M48 is a short rifle, and the bolt and action aren't quite the same length as the K98. I don't think the M48 bolt will interchange with anything, not even an M24/47. The M48s were built new. They weren't rearsenaled. You may be thinking of the M24/47.

K98 is a good first Mauser. I'm still wishing for a Chilean Mauser, but don't have the spare cash to buy one at the moment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:48:37 PM »
A few things:

1.  K98 is the WWI to about 1930 version.  K98k is the WWII version.

2.  Learn to read the proof marks.  If there is an "X" on the receiver ring and/or near the serial number, it is a Russian capture gun.  The parts will not match (electro-penciled number on the bolt and stamped into the stock are other giveaways).  They "work", but aren't the best.

3.  Watch out for the Mitchell's (Yugoslavic re-arsenaled), Turkish, Argetinian, etcl Mausers. 

A good breakdown of the K98K through the years:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsyrlTqkqJc

Hickok45:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2HwrEDjSf8

German WWII Proof Marks: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/ger_ord_code_lookup.php
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 12:54:56 AM »
I don't think the M48 is a clone of the K98. The M48 is a short rifle, and the bolt and action aren't quite the same length as the K98. I don't think the M48 bolt will interchange with anything, not even an M24/47. The M48s were built new. They weren't rearsenaled. You may be thinking of the M24/47.

K98 is a good first Mauser. I'm still wishing for a Chilean Mauser, but don't have the spare cash to buy one at the moment.

Huh... Learn something new every day....

I learned a lot when I went to sell that Mauser.   It wasn't a Mitchell's grab bag rifle (thank God) but I don't remember where I bought it.   I was told it was a K98, then told that it was an M48 (because of the Yugoslav crest on it).  Then eventually started really looking at the crests and proof marks, etc, and found the small "Mod 98" on the receiver.  It was kinda fun to research the rifle though, because I learned a lot of history. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:08:20 AM by AmbulanceDriver »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
Damn this thread. I just pulled out the old bound book, and I have 11 Mauser variants. Back when I had the 03FFL and was buying,  I could tell you most everything about them, but never wrote stuff down. Now 15 years later I can't tell you anything except for the models. I've gotta dig them out of the safe and do some research again and take some notes. Just out of curiosity, I was poking around at prices, and they all seem to be worth a good deal more than the $30-$200 I paid for them back around 2003.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
Looking to sell?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
Looking to sell?

Maybe. Lemme doublecheck the cartouches and stuff and see what I've got. Four of them are K98Ks, the rest are Czechs and Yugos.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
Looking to sell?

/Joins vulture dogmush on the perch.

(I'm mildly interested in the K98k's)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »
Must ... resist ... temptation ...
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden