Main Forums > The Roundtable

Oil WAR...just a matter of time

<< < (2/6) > >>

garyk/nm:
Hmmmmm, how about seizing Mexico's oil fields instead? We're already supporting a sizable number of their citizens, it's about time they started picking up part of the tab. Closer to home, too.

Sean Smith:
Gee, we invaded a country full of oil (Iraq), and oil prices went UP.  Why wouldn't that happen if we invaded somewhere else, too?

Waitone:
I'm inclined to think armed conflict is a ways off.  

I am willing to predict the end of the domination of natural resources by environmental nazis.  For three decades we've bowed and scraped to the god of the envoronment.  There are consequences that naturally flow from certain religious assumptions.  One of those consequences is artifical constraints on energy development.  We are now locked into easily a decade of historically unacceptably high energy costs.  No, alternatives are not practical.  The only solution in the next decade will be massive drilling and refinery construction.  The fight in congress will be something to behold.

ANWR is only the first roll back environmental nazis will experience.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36:

--- Quote ---Hmmmmm, how about seizing Mexico's oil fields instead? We're already supporting a sizable number of their citizens, it's about time they started picking up part of the tab. Closer to home, too.Seizing Mexico's fields would unleash a firestorm of violence from the millions of Mexican illegals here in the US. Contrasted with Saudi's fields that are in the middle of nowhere and thus defensable, plus the wahabbis already hate us as much as humanly possible anyways, no downside there.

I say we go for it.  Just compensation for the 9/11 attacks that the Saudi Governmant was likely involved in.

Werewolf:
Taking over countries for their oil...

Not practical. The fields themselves would be easy targets and the pipelines used to move the oil to ports for shipment are even easier targets for irregulars to take out.

End result would be (just like in Iraq) less oil out after the takeover than before.

Besides all we'd be doing is to slow down the inevitable. There is not an infinite amount of oil on the planet. It will run out - probably in the next 30 to 50 years IMO.

The better call is to develop an alternate and cheap source of energy. The US is know for it's ingenuity and research capabilities. That and growing food is what we do best in the world. Finding a cheap alternative is doable. There just needs to be a real incentive to do it and a way to cut the oil stranglehold on the auto industry.

I don't have the answers but our children or grandchildren surely will or TEOTWAWKI will surely become reality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version