Author Topic: Cockfighting busts in NY  (Read 3426 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Cockfighting busts in NY
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:28:25 AM »
NY cockfighting ring raid rescues over 3,000 birds

Roughly speaking:  The cops discover and roll up a large cockfighting ring, including a number of ancillary businesses.

What gets me is the use of the term 'rescued' for the birds.  Aren't cocks bred for fighting normally euthanized?

I also liked the 'bred and trained to fight'.  From what I remember there's no training required, and most of the breeding simply utilizes natural instincts.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Cockfighting busts in NY
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
Loser, loser chicken dinner?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
So does the winner get the loser's bird?  Maybe that is where that saying came from.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »
Um.  Not what I expected when I went to the link.  I am disappoint. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Our roosters don't seem to have much trouble figuring out how to fight each other  ;/

Although they usually manage not to kill each other after a while.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
Our roosters don't seem to have much trouble figuring out how to fight each other  ;/

Although they usually manage not to kill each other after a while.

I think that's mostly the razor blades strapped to their legs(gaffs) to replace their natural spurs that cause that result.

On the other hand, given that the fighting is natural instinct, I wonder if banning gaffs and allowing the fights might not be too bad?  Those birds have very good lives for their first 2 years, and if they're a good fighter, even longer.

On that topic, what if we ban the use of gaffs?  Natural equipment only?  That should allow most fights to not be to the death.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
The ASPCA has established a temporary shelter to house and care for the animals.

A place where they will get the best of care - https://www.facebook.com/TheFlyingChicken

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:12 PM »
I'd rather be a fighting cock than a broiler chicken that's for sure.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I'd rather be a fighting cock than a broiler chicken that's for sure.

I doubt that.

Fighting cocks bred and raised for bloodsport are not regulated by those nice people who make sure our food is healthy and tasty.

Small dirty cages with freedom only while enraged and either killing or being killed.

Cock fighting is brutal and nasty. Actually, all pit fighing blood sport is brutal and nasty.

The elder of my two bosses once snuck into a cock fight (mind you, this is the same woman who decided to tour the deep south right after college on her own, during the heaviest of the civil rights movement) and her discriptio n was acompainied by an expression I'd never seen before and havn't seen since. It takes a LOT to really upset Louise to the point she loses her composure. The fact that stupid birds fighting in a ring is something she found to be that bad makes me think that it's a lot worse then it sounds.

I don't care for sports involving humans fighting humans, but the fact that the humans in the ring understand and agreed despite the risk involved makes it fine.
Animals don't have either the understanding or the giving of consent.

Oh, and I wouldn't eat those cocks. They probably really tough and nasty, not to mention possibly deases ridden. :barf:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
I doubt that.

Fighting cocks bred and raised for bloodsport are not regulated by those nice people who make sure our food is healthy and tasty.

Small dirty cages with freedom only while enraged and either killing or being killed.

Cock fighting is brutal and nasty. Actually, all pit fighing blood sport is brutal and nasty.

The elder of my two bosses once snuck into a cock fight (mind you, this is the same woman who decided to tour the deep south right after college on her own, during the heaviest of the civil rights movement) and her discriptio n was acompainied by an expression I'd never seen before and havn't seen since. It takes a LOT to really upset Louise to the point she loses her composure. The fact that stupid birds fighting in a ring is something she found to be that bad makes me think that it's a lot worse then it sounds.

I don't care for sports involving humans fighting humans, but the fact that the humans in the ring understand and agreed despite the risk involved makes it fine.
Animals don't have either the understanding or the giving of consent.

Oh, and I wouldn't eat those cocks. They probably really tough and nasty, not to mention possibly deases ridden. :barf:

Ummm, have you ever seen a commercial chicken operation? Cages to small for the bird to move stacked on top of each other with the birds crapping on those below them, top beak cut off to allow force feeding etc. I'm by no means an animal rights nutter but the way we raise chickens is the definition of cruel.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 02:17:54 PM »

Ummm, have you ever seen a commercial chicken operation? Cages to small for the bird to move stacked on top of each other with the birds crapping on those below them, top beak cut off to allow force feeding etc. I'm by no means an animal rights nutter but the way we raise chickens is the definition of cruel.

Sounds like an egg-laying operation.  Meat chicken operations are a bit more open.  Open floor, birds get to walk about and eat out of the feeders & water deals. Lots of those operations in NW Arkansas to keep Tyson in poultry.

Also, debeaking is to protect birds from hen-pecking each other, sometimes to death.  I am not sure how one would go about force-feeding a chicken with a cut beak.  Or how it could ever be economical.  Probably just easier to keep the artificial light burning 18 hours/day year round as our chickens threw in the towel come night time.  Unless you mean ducks used to produce fois gras (duck liver pate, IIRC)?

Not every chicken lives in Chicken Paradise (our back yard for our two recently departed hens).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »
You're correct, I was thinking of the egg ranch that we used to drive past when hauling our trash to the dump.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
There is a cock fighting ring (cock ring?) in San Juan that is still running.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »

Rooster beat me too it.

And thank you. Now I'm going to be too grossed out to eat eggs for awhile...

And the only fowl industry that's really commen in my immediate area is fighting cocks, so I am pretty aware of how those guys go through life.

And for the record, chickens are dirty, nasty, stupid critters and the only reason I sorta want some is free eggs and bug eating potential. The free eggs only manage to make them slightly more tolerable then Guinia Hens.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
Yeah, lots of them living close together is dirty & nasty.  Kind of like humans.  Give them a little room, though, and they are no more nasty than any other outdoor critter. 

Out where you roam they would find a buttload of bugs to eat, I'd bet. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »
Sounds like an egg-laying operation.  Meat chicken operations are a bit more open.  Open floor, birds get to walk about and eat out of the feeders & water deals. Lots of those operations in NW Arkansas to keep Tyson in poultry.

Also, debeaking is to protect birds from hen-pecking each other, sometimes to death.  I am not sure how one would go about force-feeding a chicken with a cut beak.  Or how it could ever be economical.  Probably just easier to keep the artificial light burning 18 hours/day year round as our chickens threw in the towel come night time.  Unless you mean ducks used to produce fois gras (duck liver pate, IIRC)?

Not every chicken lives in Chicken Paradise (our back yard for our two recently departed hens).

Where do you think fryers and broilers come from?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
I know lots of folks who think chicken just comes from...

The store.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
Yeah, lots of them living close together is dirty & nasty.  Kind of like humans.  Give them a little room, though, and they are no more nasty than any other outdoor critter. 

Out where you roam they would find a buttload of bugs to eat, I'd bet. 

There are a few folks out here with various bug eaters. The do pretty well. The Guinie's out at the farm only need feed in the winter (though they eat a lot of dog food year round)
And even with room to roam, those guinia's are nasty. They seem to think roosting on the back porch of my bosses trailer is the thing to do, so it's always covered in bird poop.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
I know lots of folks who think chicken just comes from...

The store.

"Hunting should be outlawed! Hunters can just get their meat from the grocery store like everyone else!"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Re: Cockfighting busts in NY
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »

I'm just going to leave this right here & walk away....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
I doubt that.

SNIP

Cock fighting has only "recently" been outlawed in Az. Before that there were two raising operations going on down here. One had a small private coop for each bird but they had the free run on of five or six acres. They weren't crowded so didn't fight. The other had each bird in a five x five two story coop about a dozen individual coops on an acre. Both had some of the nicest looking birds I've ever seen.  
 Now, I've never been to a cock fight other than when the breeder didn't sex the chicks I bought too well & I end up with three or four roosters when I raise layers,  it seems that if a guy was betting his money & reputation on the outcome of a fight he'd want to enter the strongest, healthiest bird he can enter.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
I'm just going to leave this right here & walk away....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I was wondering who would catch that.

Trip, cock fighting has been illegal around here for a long time.

And, I'm sorry, but regardless of how the animals are raised, to put two animals in a pit and have them fight to the death for entertainment value is sick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
And, I'm sorry, but regardless of how the animals are raised, to put two animals in a pit and have them fight to the death for entertainment value is sick.

I'm just curious as to your view on bull-fighting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
Never said it wasn't.  My only comment was on the care taken of what can be valuable property.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
There are a few folks out here with various bug eaters. The do pretty well. The Guinie's out at the farm only need feed in the winter (though they eat a lot of dog food year round)
And even with room to roam, those guinia's are nasty. They seem to think roosting on the back porch of my bosses trailer is the thing to do, so it's always covered in bird poop.
My Dad got about 30 Guinness birds once.  They are loud and never seem to shut up.  Their one redeeming quality is they ate nearly every bug within 1/2 a mile of the house.  So much that the fire ants nearly disappeared and didn't come back until nearly two years after the birds were gone.  But they made a loud racket and my Dad could only stand them so long.  8 or 10 was a much better number, but they disappeared one by one over the next few years. 

The mallard ducks he had were much nicer to have around. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge