Author Topic: Cockfighting busts in NY  (Read 3427 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Cockfighting busts in NY
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Fighting cocks bred and raised for bloodsport are not regulated by those nice people who make sure our food is healthy and tasty.

1.  The people making sure our food is 'healthy and tasty' are actually not very nice, normally.
2.  Think about how well a human would fight if kept in a 'too small' cage for most of their life vs one that's been carefully raised/trained.

I read up on how gamecocks are raised - they're raised free range, with the poults(male chicks) sorted by dominance.  IE when one becomes the 'leader' it's removed to an area by itself.  Still free range, and encouraged to exercise/develop, provided premium feed.  There's something about introducing older hens to help 'build up the confidence' of the young gamecocks, though whether that's the initial losers of the dominance competitions or the winner is a bit vague to me.

Small dirty cages with freedom only while enraged and either killing or being killed.

It's a bit like a horse race - do you WANT your fighting bird to NOT be at the top of it's game?  The small cages are only for transport.

Cock fighting is brutal and nasty. Actually, all pit fighing blood sport is brutal and nasty.

Don't argue with this; however territorial/mate dominance games are brutal and nasty in nature as well.  Look at what Bucks/Rams and such will do to each other.

The fact that stupid birds fighting in a ring is something she found to be that bad makes me think that it's a lot worse then it sounds.

I actually don't disagree with you here, which is why I proposed SOME regulations.  Examples I listed included banning Gaffs, only allowing natural spurs.  The chickens fight naturally.  They hate each other without any assistance.

Oh, and I wouldn't eat those cocks. They probably really tough and nasty, not to mention possibly deases ridden. :barf:

Disease ridden?  Unlikely, though likely only as 'sterile' as regular free-range chicken.  Remember, these are 1:1 fights between chickens, and for you to get the most money your's has to win.  Ergo you want the strongest, healthiest bird you can get.

Never said it wasn't.  My only comment was on the care taken of what can be valuable property.

My view as well.  However it seems to be an extremely common 'sickness'.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Re: Re: Cockfighting busts in NY
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
I was wondering who would catch that.

I was restraining myself  :angel:

Twice I almost posted:
A girl's gotta have standards

there, I did it  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Pb

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »
I've seen game cocks being raised (or bred).  It was a lot of smallish wire cages outside in the yard, each with a shelter.  I believe each cock had a hen in the cage.

Yes, I'd rather live like that than be a broiler chicken. 

I'd be willing to bet that if the cock died in his first fight he would STILL live longer than a broiler chicken.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
I've seen game cocks being raised (or bred).  It was a lot of smallish wire cages outside in the yard, each with a shelter.  I believe each cock had a hen in the cage....

So he had something to crow about  :lol:

Poor hen - I bet her back was ripped bloody.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cockfighting busts in NY
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »

I'm just curious as to your view on bull-fighting.

Just as long as you don't do both at once....more than enough cock & bull available on the internet....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 12:39:19 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that if the cock died in his first fight he would STILL live longer than a broiler chicken.

From my reading on the topic - time from hatching to first fight is ~2 years.  Wiki lists broiler chicken lifespans at 5-7 weeks, maybe 14.  Egg laying breeds well under 1% of the cocks last past the first few days of birth.  Even breeding broiler lines are lucky to last a year.  The longest lasting would be battery hens, at about 18 months.

While certainly many fighting chickens are culled, on average a hatched chick(male or female) has a much longer life ahead of it than non-fighting breeds.

Poor hen - I bet her back was ripped bloody.

Depends on the birds, but as I understand it the breeding instincts are much more intact, the cockeral should pay attention to when the female is and is not willing.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 09:53:59 AM »
I feel like Chicken tonight.   ;)  :P :P

IIRC, Lumpia is on the menu.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
Depends on the birds, but as I understand it the breeding instincts are much more intact, the cockeral should pay attention to when the female is and is not willing.

Roosters specialize in rough sex.  >:D  It has gotten to the point where I have just shot some of them rather than try to catch and butcher them.

We had one that was a real gentleman, but a visitor's dog killed it  =(  We buried him with honors in our pet cemetary.