Author Topic: Coals to Newcastle, aka Guns to Afghanistan  (Read 851 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Coals to Newcastle, aka Guns to Afghanistan
« on: February 01, 2007, 04:44:03 AM »
More guns for our Afghan "allies". rolleyes

Never go to war, especially with yourself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070201/ts_nm/afghan_usa_weapons_dc

KABUL (Reuters) - The Unites States handed over thousands of weapons and hundreds of vehicles to        Afghanistan's fledgling national army on Thursday as part of its strategy to boost local security forces in the fight against the Taliban.

ADVERTISEMENT

Afghan President Hamid Karzai attended the handover of 800 High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicles and other trucks, and 12,000 heavy and light arms in Kabul.

"This is the first time that we have received such major help for strengthening our army," Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman Zahir Azimi said after the ceremony.

Karzai described the package as "part of the tip of the iceberg" of the long-term U.S. commitment to Afghanistan.

The U.S. government is asking Congress for an extra $10.6 billion for Afghanistan -- $8.6 billion of that for helping the army and police -- over two years.

Ahead of what U.S. and Afghan commanders warn will be a bloody spring offensive by the Taliban within months, Washington also doubled its ground combat troops by extending the tour of duty for some of its troops here by four months.

The moves come as the United States prepares to take over the 33,000-strong        NATO-led force here from the British on Sunday and after the bloodiest year since the Taliban were ousted in 2001.

About 4,000 people died in violence last year, mostly rebels but a quarter of them civilians and 170 of them foreign soldiers.

With billions more dollars in aid, Afghanistan also hopes to revive its air force, Azimi said, something Afghan officials say is vital in such a rugged country where land movement is limited.

Afghanistan's army disintegrated in 1992 after the overthrow of the Moscow-backed government by Western-funded Mujahideen (holy warrior) groups.

The country's air force, army, police and security agencies had until then been trained and equipped by the Soviet Union.

The United States and other allies are helping rebuild, train and equip the army -- due to increase to 70,000 by 2008 from 38,, as well as the police force.

There are more than 40,000 foreign soldiers in Afghanistan under NATO and under a separate U.S.-led coalition.

Many military and counter-insurgency analysts say the combined Afghan and foreign forces are not enough to fight the Taliban and other militants, many of whom shelter and train in safe havens in Pakistan.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Coals to Newcastle, aka Guns to Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:38:15 AM »
Just got done watching "The Lord of War" with Nicolas Cage.  While it's designed to make a statement about rampant gun-dealing and the subsequent loss of life, it does raise an interesting point near the end.  Uncle Sam is still one of the top 3 arms dealers in the world, and the news above from Afghanistan does little to mitigate that.  Put that in your pipe, UN and Amnesty, International!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:45:37 AM »
Governmental gun-dealing is okey-dokey with the Blue Crew and the sandals at AI.

The UN and AI are upset that people who are not governments have guns.  Dare you non-State actors with guns!   police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:31:53 AM »
Uncle Sam is in the top 3, but that is on a monetary basis, not numbers of weapons. We sell smaller amounts of hideously expensive systems, while China and Russia sell massive amounts of cheap small arms and ordnance.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:12:09 AM »
Don't forget Brazil and Czechoslovakia...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:24:55 AM »
Davis Arms and Lorcin have probably sold more units than Tula....
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »
South Africa is a common one.  Pakistani .308 ammo is showing up as surplus in the US.  Some South American countries also make small arms.  Hell, half the guns in the US are made or partly made overseas in countries such as Brazil and the Phillipines.

Hell, I don't care if those countries are making weapons, I just wish more guns and ammo were available for civilian sale in the US.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »
I just wish more guns and ammo were available for civilian sale in the US.  Smiley

Yes, for the children.   grin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 05:35:56 AM »
Yes, for the children.   grin
Quite correct.   smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge